Do you read?

Luke_W

Reading Jeffrey Deaver now. Rather good. Don't remember the name of the book, but it's the one about the illusionist. Trying to find "The Bone collector" but as it is the first one I guess it'll be hard to find.

The second in the series 'The Coffin Dancer' was the best of the lot IMO.

I do but not fictional books. I have a fascination for Ancient Civilisations like Sumeria, Egypt etc.

Currently studying about the Antikythera Mechanism, which was found by sponge divers in the Aegean sea in 1900.

I've essentially set Blood Meridian aside for a while. It's annoying since I know it's a good read but I'm really struggling to get into it and get along with it.

In the meantime, I'm shifting to Iain Banks' The Bridge.

Blood Meridian is hard to get into first time round, I stopped for days (even weeks) now and again because it was pissing me off.

It was the violence that did it for me, first time I read it i just couldn't hack it. It just kept going and going. But eventually you become used to it, and eventually the character of the Judge becomes the main focus instead of the Kid, and that is when the book begins to pick up.

It's tough going though, worth it in the end. Then you can go back to read it and appreciate it more.

Some people get annoyed at the writing style aswell, but eventually it just sort of clicks and you understand why it is being used. It's a bit biblical.

My problem with Blood Meridian was almost entirely down to the writing style, I just really don't get on with at all. It makes reading it more of a chore than an enjoyment for me.

Glad to hear the Bridge is popular, Iain Banks apparently thinks it's the best of his non sci fi fiction and I'm quite looking forward to getting into it. It'll have to be good to supercede the Crow Road as my favourite Banks book though.

Reading Jeffrey Deaver now. Rather good. Don't remember the name of the book, but it's the one about the illusionist. Trying to find "The Bone collector" but as it is the first one I guess it'll be hard to find.

Should have told me that earlier as I ordered 2 books yesterday and could've added that one too. :P Will look out for that one the next time, which might be soon. :) Cheers.

Picked up David Hume's The Dialogues to re-read again. Last time, despite enjoying it, I never got to the lst couple of chapters. Other stuff got in the way. Recently finished If The Dead Rise Not by Phillip Kerr which was good fun, although had a rather irritating 'split' when part two leapt forward 18 years which for me ruined a bit of the suspense, although I hadn't read any of the novels in this series, so my fault I suppose.

Picked up David Hume's The Dialogues to re-read again. Last time, despite enjoying it, I never got to the lst couple of chapters. Other stuff got in the way. Recently finished If The Dead Rise Not by Phillip Kerr which was good fun, although had a rather irritating 'split' when part two leapt forward 18 years which for me ruined a bit of the suspense, although I hadn't read any of the novels in this series, so my fault I suppose.
I read the first couple of Phillip Kerrs, and found them very unpleasant.

Can't quite put my finger on why. I'm a big fan of that whole Nazi era European thriller genre (from Eric Ambler to Allan Furst). And I love James Ellroy who can be downright shocking with his depictions of casual racism, violence against women, etc.

But somehow in Kerr's books the misogyny seem gratuitous and actually intended to be titillating.

Gave me the creeps, not in a good way.

• 2 weeks later...

Should have told me that earlier as I ordered 2 books yesterday and could've added that one too. :P Will look out for that one the next time, which might be soon. :) Cheers.

jeffrey deavers best book by far was the devils tear drop, **** great book that was

i'm trying tho think of the name of the book with the illusionist, my copy had a grey cover but thats all i can remember now lol

finished reading the girl with the dragon tattoo a few days ago, cracking book that was bit hard going in parts but you stick with it just to read what salander gets up to, got a bit confusing trying to remember who was who in the family tree though

just finished 'tell no one' by harlan coben, proper good book it was a real page turner, bit predictable at times and a fair few stereotypical characters but I enjoyed it as a quick read, as a two day book it was spot on

just spotted this, not out for another 2 day's but i mite get it, sounds pretty interesting

51qZkYyWa2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amy Harper Bellafonte is six years old and her mother thinks she's the most important person in the whole world. She is. Anthony Carter doesn't think he could ever be in a worse place than Death Row. He's wrong. FBI agent Brad Wolgast thinks something beyond imagination is coming. It is. THE PASSAGE. Deep in the jungles of eastern Colombia, Professor Jonas Lear has finally found what he's been searching for - and wishes to God he hadn't. In Memphis, Tennessee, a six-year-old girl called Amy is left at the convent of the Sisters of Mercy and wonders why her mother has abandoned her. In a maximum security jail in Nevada, a convicted murderer called Giles Babcock has the same strange nightmare, over and over again, while he waits for a lethal injection. In a remote community in the California mountains, a young man called Peter waits for his beloved brother to return home, so he can kill him. Bound together in ways they cannot comprehend, for each of them a door is about to open into a future they could not have imagined. And a journey is about to begin. An epic journey that will take them through a world transformed by man's darkest dreams, to the very heart of what it means to be human. And beyond. THE PASSAGE.

9780007323791.jpg

Great read :oops:

I'm not doubting the quality of the book, but i have a problem with athletes who write their biographies before they've turned 30 years old.

I'd rather read about Fernando Torres when he's 65, and is reflecting on a long life.

This. **** brilliant.

51nOKNK44GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

YES.

I am currently reading it at the moment. FInished the opening segment on Banks and Otahiti and now well into Herschel just being a top notch awesome chap. Herschel's mother FTL :evil:

This. **** brilliant.

51nOKNK44GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

YES.

I am currently reading it at the moment. FInished the opening segment on Banks and Otahiti and now well into Herschel just being a top notch awesome chap. Herschel's mother FTL :evil:

I'm only just ahead of you, on the balloons chapter.

Love the fact that Herschel was a pro musician as well as an astronomer. Seems to be a common connection - Brian May, Brian Cox, Alex James.... Patrick Moore. :)

Â