Do you read?

Luke_W

The Road is very good, much better than the (admittedly quite decent) movie adaptation.   Wool, which I spoke about on the last page is excellent too, but the best dystopian book I ever read was George Orwell's seminal Nineteen Eighty Four. 

I've never read any S. King, but somebody on here recommended The Running Man, so I bought it. Made the huge mistake of reading the introduction (by King himself). It's basically the hugest of spoilers and tells you what happens at the end. So I didn't bother.

• 2 weeks later...

Obsessives and addicts of the Aubrey-Maturin books will need no reminding but today is 100 years since Patrick O'Brian was born.

He should have had a Google doodle.

I've read the lot, and I feel slightly sad that I almost certainly won't read them again.

Edited by mjmooney

Obsessives and addicts of the Aubrey-Maturin books will need no reminding but today is 100 years since Patrick O'Brian was born.

He should have had a Google doodle.

I've read the lot, and I feel slightly sad that I almost certainly won't read them again.

Your self-denial is admirable but rather severe, I feel.

anyone read the kingkiller chronicles?

my missues loves GoT and that was ranked as the best similar book

There more akin to a maybe adult/fantasy harry potter type book. The first book is set mostly in a magical college.

Its well written but for me no where near Game of Thrones in tone.

I've never read any S. King, but somebody on here recommended The Running Man, so I bought it. Made the huge mistake of reading the introduction (by King himself). It's basically the hugest of spoilers and tells you what happens at the end. So I didn't bother.

King is a better writer than Manhattan lit snobs would give him credit for, but I think his stuff is better to read the younger you are. Like 16 years old.

Almost finished If on a winter's night a traveller. He was a cheeky bugger that Calvino. I think David Mitchell is a fan.

Invisible Cities is genius. Marcovaldo is much more accessible though, and very good. I loved reading Calvino. Not sure I'd have the patience for him now though, I read almost entirely non fiction nowadays.

Almost finished If on a winter's night a traveller. He was a cheeky bugger that Calvino. I think David Mitchell is a fan.

Invisible Cities is genius. Marcovaldo is much more accessible though, and very good. I loved reading Calvino. Not sure I'd have the patience for him now though, I read almost entirely non fiction nowadays.
I was about to post the Invisible Cities suggestion.

Or Borges.

Anybody ever read Catch 22 ?

I'm about half way through and making heavy work of it, not exactly a page turner. It is funny in parts and I get the crazy rhythm of it but it is not dragging me back.

I hate not finishing a book so its really pissing me off because there are other things I'd like to move on to but its taking me ages to get through this.

Almost finished If on a winter's night a traveller. He was a cheeky bugger that Calvino. I think David Mitchell is a fan.

Or Borges.

Borges is bonkers. I tried, but couldn't get far. 

Or Borges.

Borges is bonkers. I tried, but couldn't get far. 

I plan to read Invisible Cities and Cosmicomics. I know where IC is describing, I hope that doesn't ruin my enjoyment of it.

Tried reading a Borges short story years ago (something about a library) and didn't have a clue what he was getting at. Didn't seem very accessible.

Anybody ever read Catch 22 ?

I'm about half way through and making heavy work of it, not exactly a page turner. It is funny in parts and I get the crazy rhythm of it but it is not dragging me back.

I hate not finishing a book so its really pissing me off because there are other things I'd like to move on to but its taking me ages to get through this.

I loved it.  I'll agree it's heavy going at times but it's intentional.  I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the book is one fairly short story told from many different points of view and things which make no sense at the beginning (the dead man in Yossarian's tent being the obvious example) are explained in full later on in the book.  Pulp Fiction did something similar in film.  There should be a moment when it all 'clicks' and that is where the main enjoyment of the book comes from.  Stick with it. :)

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Â