Do you read?

Luke_W

The hedge animals were a major loss for the film. I don't know why they spooked the hell out of me.

I know there's a mini-series endorsed by King but it looks crap.

Yeah, the alive topiary in the mini series is actually quite amusing when you see it, not quite the effect it shouldve had...but then, it was a pretty low budget affair.

I've tried many times to read Stephen King but his writing just doesn't work for me.

Maybe I'll download a few audiobooks.

Might be worth a go, I'd personally avoid the ones read by King himself, his nasally nerdy tones aren't the best, BUT he does have a knack of being awful creepy sounding. I would not listen to him reading a whole novel, but short stories might be OK, wouldn't mind listening to him read The Jaunt or something like that. As far as I know that's never been recorded, though.

Longer than you think, Dad, longer than you think!

Ugh yeh sorry. Everytime I post in this thread I feel like I'm turning it in to the Stephen King thread. I will post again about something else sometime. Probably.

Edited by hogso

The Partisan's Daughter - Louis De Bernieres 

Brilliant book.

Anybody read Birds Without Wings?

I'm going to Turkey for the first time next year and I'm considering it as an appropriate read.

Brilliant book.

I'm going to Turkey for the first time next year and I'm considering it as an appropriate read.

Really? Where are you going?

Brilliant book.

Really? Where are you going?

A rather SAGA-ish (but not actually SAGA) coach trip around the Aegean Coast antiquities and touristy sites - Ephesus, Aphrodisias (ooh-err), Pamukkale, Antalya, etc.

My best mate (who retired as a teacher this year) got a cheap deal on it. I expect beer will be consumed.

I really like the short stories of Daniil Kharms

51OWZGZ-9FL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

This wonderfully inventive collection of stories presents the writing of Russian absurdist Daniil Kharms at its vibrant, perplexing best. The book is composed of short miniatures: strange, funny, dream-like fragments ? many of which the author called ?incidents? ? that tend to feature accidents, falling, chance violence and sudden death. An outlaw classic banned by Soviet censors until the 1980s, Incidences vividly conveys the precarious nature of life in Stalin?s Russia. Writing in the 1920s as one of a group called the Society for Real Art, Kharms was first arrested in 1931, and told that he could only publish writing for children. Irrepressible, he was sent to the gulag in 1941 and died of starvation in a prison hospital a year later. With this new edition of Incidences we can rediscover a Russian writer whose bold writing and tragic death are an urgent reminder of the deranged spirit of his times.

You can read most of his stories online

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

For anyone who has a favourite book or more likely one they are slightly obsessed with, I would recommend: http://www.bookdrum.com/

The idea is that contributors take a book and add comprehensive annotations as they create a complete profile for the work.

A quick read of the profile of a familiar book is a reminder of how much you missed when you read it and the thought of doing a profile yourself is really daunting.

Seems like a very interesting project for those with enough time and inclination.

Well its safe to say I'm going to enjoy the Flashman books. A third of the way through the first one and its brilliant. One of the funniest things ive read in a long time. It makes me want to bring out my inner scoundrel.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Â