Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

I doubt it, as we would risk getting knocked out of the competition

I'm hoping there's some loophole that meant she could play after all, perhaps to do with Arsenal not starting in the compettion because they were in the Champions League

But It would be bizzare if she was cup tied and no one in our staff or squad realized it, especailly when another one of our players Freya Gregory wasn't involved because she was cup tied

The women's twitter are very quiet, so I don't think they're sure what's going on, since fulltime they've only tweeted the full time score, normally they would make a big deal of us reaching the knockout stages, and there would be pictures posted of the players celebrating after the game, as they usually do after every win.

Trying to work out the permetations but I think as it stands Aston Villa, Man City, London City, and Arsenal qualify as group winners, and Man Utd and Spurs (presuming they beat Southampton tomorrow) as the two best runners up

But if Sunderland were to be awarded the win tonight then, they, Man City, London City, and Arsenal would qualify as group winners, with us and Spurs (if they win tomorrow) as the two best runners up

Man Utd would have a strong case against us, as why should they miss out because of our mistake, but I guess we would argue we should only be punished for the game in which Martiz played, and we finished as our better run up than them fair and square based on the other four games

5 minutes ago, useless said:

The women's twitter are very quiet, so I don't think they're sure what's going on, since fulltime they've only tweeted the full time score, normally they would make a big deal of us reaching the knockout stages, and there would be pictures posted of the players celebrating after the game, as they usually do after every win.

Trying to work out the permetations but I think as it stands Aston Villa, Man City, London City, and Arsenal qualify as group winners, and Man Utd and Spurs (presuming they beat Southampton tomorrow) as the two best runners up

But if Sunderland were to be awarded the win tonight then, they, Man City, London City, and Arsenal would qualify as group winners, with us and Spurs (if they win tomorrow) as the two best runners up

Man Utd would have a strong case against us, as why should they miss out because of our mistake, but I guess we would argue we should only be punished for the game in which Martiz played, and we finished as our better run up than them fair and square based on the other four games

If Man Utd get knocked out because Villa fielded an ineligible player that would be absolutely chef's kiss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just been on a Sunderland forum they are finding it  hilarious that we have made such a basic administrative error. Surely our new signing had a part to play in highlighting that she had already played for Arsenal in this competition. The suggestion is it was three times !!! Perhaps she forgot ?

Tom Garry saying the FA are investigating

If found guilty we shouldn't be disqualifed though, any punishment should just relate to the game in which Martiz played, not the other games in which we did nothing wrong, I'm pretty sure that's the way it normally works in these scenarios, it would mean Man Utd getting knocked out, but boo hoo, if Sunderland had have beaten us tonight, then Man Utd would have been knocked out anyway, in other words, if we end up finishing second in our group because of the points deduction, then we will still have been a better runner up than Man Utd fair and square based on our previous three games

Still really bad from our point of view that we let it happen, not a good look at all, unless as above there was some sort of loophole meaning she could play, but if there is one it must not be an obvious one, otherwise the FA wouldn't be investigating

If we're found guilty I wonder if the FA will take the perhaps easier option of either declaring the result a draw, or just dedcuting us a point or two, meaning we and Man Utd would still qualify, or perhaps make us play the game again

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Tom Garry saying the FA are investigating

If found guilty we shouldn't be disqualifed though, any punishment should just relate to the game in which Martiz played, not the other games in which we did nothing wrong, I'm pretty sure that's the way it normally works in these scenarios, it would mean Man Utd getting knocked out, but boo hoo, if Sunderland had have beaten us tonight, then Man Utd would have been knocked out anyway, in other words, if we end up finishing second in our group because of the points deduction, then we will still have been a better runner up than Man Utd fair and square based on our previous three games

Still really bad from our point of view that we let it happen, not a good look at all, unless as above there was some sort of loophole meaning she could play, but if there is one it must not be an obvious one, otherwise the FA wouldn't be investigating

If we're found guilty I wonder if the FA will take the perhaps easier option of either declaring the result a draw, or just dedcuting us a point or two, meaning we and Man Utd would still qualify, or perhaps make us play the game again

If we are found guilty we should be eliminated we broke the rules of the competition , no way should we be allowed to play again.

• Confused 1

That doesn't make sense, first of all it's not been proven that we've broke the rules, there are circumstances where cup tied players can play, but also even if we have, it doesn't mean we should be kicked out of the whole competition, if a club was to field an ineligible player in the league, they wouldn't be kicked out, they would just be punished for the game in which they fielded a player they shouldn't

Someone posted the rules on twitter, the poster framed it as us being in trouble, but if those rules are right and up to date, and if I'm reading them right, then even if we're found guilty, it would only mean Sunderland being awarded the win, and we would still quaiify

Trust us to put ourselves in this position, we won our group with four wins from four, twenty-four goals scord in those four games, and just once conceded, we had a better goal difference than the next best group winner by fourteen goals, even allowing for the fact we had four Championship teams in our group, that's still very impressive, so if we've messed it up for ourselves with an elementary mistake it will be a spectacular way of shooting ourselves in the foot.

There's part of me thinking that surely there must be more to it, as I don't understand how they could have played her otherwise, unless we really did do it on purpose to eliminate Man Utd lol

She didn’t even need to come on - such a stupid thing to do. Rule is pretty clear, can’t play for more than one club in completion in a season  (from the rules posted) - will be interestesting to see our defence for it.

For me it’s on the manager (and a little on player), they HAVE to know it’s there job.

Would be funny though if United miss out, skinner is a word removed.

7 minutes ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

For me it’s on the manager (and a little on player), they HAVE to know it’s there job.

I doubt every manager or players know the competition rules for tournaments. Some dont even know the basic football rules

Should be somebody in the admin or legal team

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I doubt every manager or players know the competition rules for tournaments. Some dont even know the basic football rules

Should be somebody in the admin or legal team

Nah not having that. We even sat out a different player because they were cup tied. Think Carla could be sacked if we get disqualified given that it has been an underwhelming season anyway.

7 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Nah not having that. We even sat out a different player because they were cup tied. Think Carla could be sacked if we get disqualified given that it has been an underwhelming season anyway.

I dont remember people blaming Klopp or Rafa Benitez when they did similar

8 hours ago, smg said:

If we are found guilty we should be eliminated we broke the rules of the competition , no way should we be allowed to play again.

There is previous to this we lost to West Ham in the League Cup on pens in 1999 but they fielded Onoyimni who was eligible.  Won the replay I know this as went to both games 😜 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont remember people blaming Klopp or Rafa Benitez when they did similar

I bet they probably did but I’m not saying it’s right just that it ultimately falls on her.  This isn’t like Moritz played in an early season qualifier, she’s played 3 games in this competition the last being a month ago. They must have thought there was some loophole (maybe there is!) but haven’t done due diligence.

Edited by WallisFrizz

Ward isn't getting the sack, we've won eight of the last eleven in all competitions, four of the last six in the league, we're fourth in the form guide since Chelsea defeat.

Of course Martiz playing last night was an awful mistake, if as seems likely she was ineligible, but Ward won't be soley blamed, the player and the rest of the staff should have known, and there's probably someone who's job it is to check these things, I think Ward will probably take responsibility in public, but behind the scenes she won't be held ultimately responsible for it by the club

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the club as an whole takes responsibility and just declares it an admin error

The only possible explanation I can come up with is that, last season we signed Jordan Nobbs in January, she was allowed to play in the League Cup because Arsenal hadn't at that point played in the competion because they were in the Champions League, so maybe someone behind the scenes has conflated that with Martiz situation this season, just looked that Arsenal had qualifed for Champions League and presumed it meant she could play for us in the league cup like Nobbs last year, without further checking that Arsenel had in fact being knocked out of the Champions League early, and as such entered the group stages of the league, not a great excuse, and still a huge mess up either way, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what has happened

• Like 1

On the game itself I thought Blindkilde was best player first half, that she came off at halftime is probably a sign she's going to start against Man Utd, and is well deserved, Nobbs, and Mayling had really good games over the whole 90 minutes, was a very good display overall, we've won big in this competition previously this season, but last night we looked more like the team from last season, and dare I say at times sometimes even better with some of the passing and movement, against Championship opposition, but we didn't play that well last season against second tier teams.

I feel sorry for Ebony Salmon, for whatever reason she hasn't been getting much of a chance recently, last few games Magill has been coming off the bench ahead of her, last night for the first five goals, she got three assists, she did brilliant to set up Mayling to cross for Lehmann's goal, and got a goal herself, I didn't see the last two in injury time, but she was heavily involved in all of the first five, and now that could be taken away from her.

The club knows something is up, because they didn't even bother tweeting that we had scored the sixth and seventh goals, and then only tweeted the fulltime score, no congratulating them on the win or qualifying for the quarter-finals, no pictures of the players celebrating afterwards as always happens after a win, and there's no match report on the official site, which usually happens not longer after fulltime, again especially after a win.

But will surely have to say something this morning, if we've made a genuine mistake, I think we will just admit that and apologize

• Like 1

Â