The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

9 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Seems like the BBC vox pops were correct. Maybe it wasn’t a conspiracy after all. 

I went full nerd and started keeping tally, if the BBC had called it correct, Labour would have had 50 seats and a 70%/80% drop in their vote share. The very last BBC vox pop that I caught had 11 people, 10 of them were switching to conservative. Leaving Labour pretty much without an MP.

So they clearly picked up a mood, but then ran with it to the point of a paedogeddon style parody.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I went full nerd and started keeping tally, if the BBC had called it correct, Labour would have had 50 seats and a 70%/80% drop in their vote share. The very last BBC vox pop that I caught had 11 people, 10 of them were switching to conservative. Leaving Labour pretty much without an MP.

So they clearly picked up a mood, but then ran with it to the point of a paedogeddon style parody.

They probably thought it was interesting/unusual and ran with it in a typical ‘man bites dog’ journalistic way. 

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

They probably thought it was interesting/unusual and ran with it in a typical ‘man bites dog’ journalistic way. 

Yeah, I think that is pretty much it, together with a fairly loose framing of how they were finding these people. I heard it described several times as ‘wholly random sample’ followed by a line of people all switching. 

But anyway, all done and water under the bridge now. 

A large part of it also comes from people either misremembering, or lying about, who they voted for last time. There's a pretty well-known phenomenon in political science of people who claim to be 'lifelong Labour voters' who turn out, on closer inspection, to have last voted for the party in 2005 or 2001. 

The number of LAB-CON switchers wasn't actually massive yesterday. The CON vote only increased by a point or two from 2017; the reason for the discrepancy in result is that about 25% of the Labour vote went to minor parties or stayed at home. 

• Like 1

Yep, Labour vote stayed almost exactly the same here, actually increased by a couple of hundred votes.

Comically, the only switching appears to have been 3,300 votes of Plaid and LibDems who both stood down, almost entirely transferred to the Green Party. 600 votes last time, 3,200 this time.

• Sad 1

That might be as wrong a take on it as it’s possible to have.

I’m actually suffering withdrawal symptoms and have started tuning in to Radio Stoke 104.1 FM for the phone ins. It’s a great little community actually, we’re all glad we got brexit done and can’t wait for proper leaded petrol to be back.

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

That might be as wrong a take on it as it’s possible to have.

I’m actually suffering withdrawal symptoms and have started tuning in to Radio Stoke 104.1 FM for the phone ins. It’s a great little community actually, we’re all glad we got brexit done and can’t wait for proper leaded petrol to be back.

Stoke who gave seats on their council to the BNP couldn't vote for Corbyn due to the racism. Good old inbred knuckle dragging Stoke. Apologies to anyone actually from Stoke, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

BBC have been cocking up again today with their 'finally the Brexit bill has been passed' cobblers.

It passed the second reading today (as it passed the second reading back before the election - though admittebly today's was a slightly different bill).

Now, obviously there won't be any actual hurdles to it in future stages but they bloody well ought to be able to get things right unless they just want to reiterate and complete the narrative set out by the Tory party in the election campaign.

Arses.

• Like 1

Interesting on the framing of how the results were reported.

Accusations of BBC media bias have flowed thick and fast from right and left, but the real scandal of the 2019 Election Night was that seats projections were announced at 10pm, while information on the parties’ national vote shares came along only seven hours later, when almost all viewers had gone to bed. Pippa Norris and Patrick Dunleavy argue that this extraordinary delay formed the centrepiece of a thoroughly over-legitimizing representation of the UK’s election process, exaggerating the Conservative and SNP victories, artificially demeaning Labour’s performance, and ignoring the injustices meted out to the Liberal Democrats, Greens and others. A simple re-framing could easily combat the BBC’s and other broadcasters’ now firmly enrooted ‘bias against understanding’, entailing something of a move back to older and more accurate election night formats...

...Only after 5am did the BBC’s Jeremy Vine at last announce an estimated three-party national vote share for Britain, to a residual audience of insomniacs and election geeks.

And what a different story this told. Despite the Brexit Party standing down in their favour, the Conservative vote share increased by just 1.2% on their 2017 performance. And Labour’s 32.1% share of the UK vote under Corbyn was not historically poor, exceeding as it did Ed Miliband’s in 2015 (30.4%); Gordon Brown’s performance in 2010 (29.0%), and Neil Kinnock’s vote share in 1987 (30.8%). Indeed, the 2019 Labour vote was just a couple of points behind their average performance since February 1974, when multiparty competition started to reduce the average two-party share of the vote. Labour’s vote share was down sharply on 2017 (-7.8%), driven by supply-side patterns of party competition which split the Remain camp. The Liberal Democrats under Jo Swinson had actually achieved a near 50% increase in their vote share, despite winning only two handfuls of seats. The divisions amongst the UK’s clear majority of the Remain voters were exacerbated by the UK’s electorally disproportional First-Past-the-Post system. It returned to its typical form in 2019, vesting Boris Johnson with 13% more seats than his national vote share, and awarding four fifths of the Scottish seats to the SNP for 45% of votes there. There was no vast blue tsunami in the grassroots British electorate. Different choices on the ballot simply altered party fortunes, which the electoral system then reshaped and exaggerated...

On 17/12/2019 at 06:54, Seat68 said:

Stoke who gave seats on their council to the BNP couldn't vote for Corbyn due to the racism. Good old inbred knuckle dragging Stoke. Apologies to anyone actually from Stoke, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

What a delightful, altruistic post; Merry Christmas !

2 hours ago, veloman said:

What a delightful, altruistic post; Merry Christmas !

As something close to a neutral on the subject of Stoke, I worked there one day a week for 4 or 5 months, I think it is something of a special place. Most england flags I’ve seen in any town, Stoke. Most spiced out people laying in the street, Stoke. Most fights in the middle of the day in the shopping street, Stoke. Strongest unsolicited opinions on the world offered to me whilst I’ve been stood in sandwich shops, Stoke.

In 5 years and about 200 shop fit outs across the UK on this particular contract, it was only the third site we’ve had to employ security to protect the workforce and the property during daylight working hours.

All places are broadly similar with slight variations. I found Stoke tipped very much to the poorer and more aggressive end of the spectrum of normal.

I say that as someone who’s home town is from the poorer more aggressive end. Not out of some Cheshire or Home Counties snobbery.

• Like 1

I think that's fairly accurate description of Stoke Chris. I live between Cannock and Stoke and am grateful for that. Stoke without doubt has its positives. I think the roadworks finished from Jct 15 onwards is definitely up there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rail fares in Wales went down today.

On average by 1%, by up to 10% on some north Wales and Valleys routes.

The only route not covered by TfW is the GWR train to London, a peak return on that just went up in line with english price rises.

BBC still headlining with fares in England and Wales have gone up.

It would appear BBC (London) has no access to twitter, e-mail, facebook, newspapers or BBC Wales. They are deliberately actively ignorant of any devolved matters.

Â