The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

Lack of education around critical thinking is to blame also.

Remember when the Tories wanted to change it to fact remembering? Why can't we take source material into exams? Why do we have to remember everything when we live in a society where everyone can check their phone whenever they want. 

When i was at high school, only the 10% were given critical thinking lessons. Is it surprising we are a nation who believes what we're told by those in power rather than questioning them? Education has consisted of 'here are the facts, remember them' for too long. 

I would argue the 'senior sources' are the most to blame here. They KNEW nobody was punched, yet they passed this story on knowing it would be reported without fact checking. 

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm glad you raised this because it was exactly the event that sprung to my mind  .. for some reason the reaction was entirely different and facts and proof weren't important  then

Journalists are to blame , but peoples wiliness to believe  everything without thinking is equally  to blame 

I think the reaction was different because the situation was different.  At the tory conference, it is reported that there was a scuffle, described as "handbags".  Because it involved trying to enter a secure area, security procedures were triggered, part of the venue was locked down for 20-30 minutes, and police and paramedics were called.  The MP was sent home, which rather suggests more was involved than simply being pompous and challenging the staff who prevented entry.

In the Leeds incident, an entirely false story was generated in order to direct attention away from the issue of the child lying on the floor, and it was repeated and amplified to millions without even the most basic verification being done, by very experienced journalists.

These situations are not comparable.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Emily Maitlis just retweeting whatever she feels like again:

Not sure what the problem is with this one. It's not an official BBC Account and its a retweet. I think we've gone beyond everyone having to put "retweets not an endorsement" in their twitter bio haven't we? And it's not Maitlis saying Cult of Corbyn anyway

Further up thread someone has also posted the Corbyn tweet complaining about the way the incident was reported yesterday, He's right about some of them (Laura K etc) but not the Paul Brand one as that says "Conservatives are saying..." he isn't stating that its true, he's reporting that this is what the Conservatives are saying, again there is nothing wrong with that one either to my mind.

There's plenty been done wrong but things done right are also being swept up into this because people want to be outraged instead of stepping back and sorting the wheat from the chaff

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Not sure what the problem is with this one. It's not an official BBC Account and its a retweet. I think we've gone beyond everyone having to put "retweets not an endorsement" in their twitter bio haven't we? And it's not Maitlis saying Cult of Corbyn anyway

I assume she was retweeting praise of herself, as some people like to do, and hadn't thought too much about the rest of the tweet.  The problem is that by doing so, she may be perceived as endorsing the "cult" line, probably didn't mean to do so, and didn't really think about it.  It looks sloppy rather than malicious, to me.

9 minutes ago, peterms said:

I think the reaction was different because the situation was different.  At the tory conference, it is reported that there was a scuffle, described as "handbags".  Because it involved trying to enter a secure area, security procedures were triggered, part of the venue was locked down for 20-30 minutes, and police and paramedics were called.  The MP was sent home, which rather suggests more was involved than simply being pompous and challenging the staff who prevented entry.

In the Leeds incident, an entirely false story was generated in order to direct attention away from the issue of the child lying on the floor, and it was repeated and amplified to millions without even the most basic verification being done, by very experienced journalists.

These situations are not comparable.

I'm possibly being hopelessly naive here, but..... we've all seen the video, but the bloke who walked into the arm might not have seen exactly what happened.  If all he felt was the bloke's arm in the side of his head and some shouting, is it possible that he thought he'd been hit on purpose?

• Haha 2

If he thought he'd been hit, why didn't he react like it in the video?

He carried on walking like nothing happened. If you'd watched it, as you profess to have done, you'd see that.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

I'm possibly being hopelessly naive here, but..... we've all seen the video, but the bloke who walked into the arm might not have seen exactly what happened.  If all he felt was the bloke's arm in the side of his head and some shouting, is it possible that he thought he'd been hit on purpose?

Plus , the activist shouts " a put my hand out and you walked into it  " ... that could have also made the aide question whether it was deliberate , any decent person would have led with an "oops .,sorry mate "

I notice he also shouts at someone "you're not welcome in my country"   , imagine using such a stupid and ignorant line

7 minutes ago, Risso said:

That sounds unlikely.  He had just been speaking with (or was being spoken to by) the cyclist when they were both standing still, before the cyclist turns away.  It looks like he was just moving past him and didn't expect the armwaving to be repeated, so had to dodge.  He then gives the cyclist a look, kind of "Watch what you're doing" rather than the reaction of someone who believes he has been assaulted.

• Like 1

it literally is spin.

Senior Tory sources lie to the BBC and ITV about an aide being punched by a Labour activist.

'I've seen the video which clearly shows the aide not really care about being brushed by a finger, BUT MAYBE, afterwards he thought he'd been hit on purpose'

'Ah but the activist didn't apologise for brushing the aide with his hand, and he told someone that he wasn't welcome here!!!'

Edited by StefanAVFC

31 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I notice he also shouts at someone "you're not welcome in my country"   , imagine using such a stupid and ignorant line

What's wrong with it? That's prime ministerial language these days.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Risso said:

no

2 hours ago, Risso said:

And what bit of the incident made him think it was hundreds of people sent by taxi at the instruction of Labour head office?

It’s just a stupid story, sent out in panic to divert attention away from Johnson having no empathy or response to a child on the floor in hospital. A story swallowed 100% by tory friendly media. 

Least bad scenario, lazy journalists conned by their own friends. 

Hopefully a timely reminder to do the job not coast it.

• Like 1

Does the aide eat children for dinner? I've watched the video and I can't tell.

Jokes aside, you claimed to have watched the video then asked your 'question'.

Sorry, but no. If you had eyes, you can tell that your question is superfluous. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

And what bit of the incident made him think it was hundreds of people sent by taxi at the instruction of Labour head office?

Well, he saw 6 there, and assumed there'd be seed funding for another couple of hundred by 2030.

• Haha 1

Much like Michael Fabricant tweeting out the story that the photo is fake, and asking 'is this fake???'

Yes it's just a question but it's clear what it's getting at.

You cannot claim to have watched the video, and then also ask if the aide thought he might have been punched. The 2 positions are totally contradictory.

Â