The Last 5 minutes

hippo

Should just have time stop when the ball is out of play and reduce games to 60 minutes.

So many attempts to reduce timewasting just don't happen for whatever reason.  Players going down injured should just be play on (unless a head injury) but never is. Goalkeepers used to be able to only handle the ball for 6 seconds at a time, now they take forever. etc. etc.

• Like 1

First thing they need to do is enforce rules properly. If there is an injury or subsitution in injury time then add the **** time on. So often they don't do this.

Also, as Bobzy has alluded to

Substitutions: why does the game have to stop for this? There is no reason. Just make subs happen at any time. Play continues. Your sub can't come on until the player coming off has left the pitch. They'd soon hurry the **** up if that was the case.

Injuries: again let the play go on. Let the physio come on and tend to the player and if the ball naturally goes out of play then the ref can stop the game if it's actually serious.

Agree about the goalkeeper thing too. Why even have that rule if it's not enforced. Goalkeepers almost always have the ball for more than 6 seconds.

Just make it 10 or 15 seconds and ACTUALLY enforce it. You might get a week of lots of random indirect free kicks but it would soon change.

It infuriates me at how the football authorities are so reluctant to make changes or to enforce rules they already have.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

First thing they need to do is enforce rules properly. If there is an injury or subsitution in injury time then add the **** time on. So often they don't do this.

Also, as Bobzy has alluded to

Substitutions: why does the game have to stop for this? There is no reason. Just make subs happen at any time. Play continues. Your sub can't come on until the player coming off has left the pitch. They'd soon hurry the **** up if that was the case.

Injuries: again let the play go on. Let the physio come on and tend to the player and if the ball naturally goes out of play then the ref can stop the game if it's actually serious.

Agree about the goalkeeper thing too. Why even have that rule if it's not enforced. Goalkeepers almost always have the ball for more than 6 seconds.

Just make it 10 or 15 seconds and ACTUALLY enforce it. You might get a week of lots of random indirect free kicks but it would soon change.

It infuriates me at how the football authorities are so reluctant to make changes or to enforce rules they already have.

Thats a great point

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't mind the game stopping - in fact, I'm probably in favour of it.  However, just stop time.  The player can take a minute getting off the pitch if they want, it doesn't matter.  Clock is stopped.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't mind the game stopping - in fact, I'm probably in favour of it.  However, just stop time.  The player can take a minute getting off the pitch if they want, it doesn't matter.  Clock is stopped.

The thing is continually breaking the flow towards the end of the game - even if those minutes are given back there not valuable minutes - the opposition don't care how much time they waste, but the time wasting stops the attacking club building momentum.  Giving the minutes back doesn't make it equal IMO. 

• Like 1

the problem is that all the problems you can identify with the last 5 minutes actually happen for a lot of the game, the last 5 minutes are just amplified

you have tactical fouls and physio appearances in the middle of the 1st half 

its all about momentum 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

the problem is that all the problems you can identify with the last 5 minutes actually happen for a lot of the game, the last 5 minutes are just amplified

you have tactical fouls and physio appearances in the middle of the 1st half 

its all about momentum 

Yeah that's true. 

The stuff I mentioned above should apply for the whole game.

It's just one of those things that has snowballed and people are afraid to address it. If this happened in most other sports then they would make a rule change and get on with it.
Football always seems afraid to make changes. And if they do change it takes ages for them to bring the rules in.

Unless they're shitty little rules like changing how the kickoff is taken, which is pointless.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's amazing how terrible they are. Changing the kickoff rule is about all they could manage, says it all. As for substitutions while the game is still being played, I have been saying that for years but it's too much like common sense for football to do it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont see a problem. Nothing more annoying than a team defend for 85 minutes then concede a late goal and then try play last 5 minutes

Thats more frustrating than time wasting. 

No it's not.

You're describing the actual sport.

Edited by Stevo985

The extra time is always a minimum. If there is a sub or an injury, more times should be added, but often isn't. It's a case of bad refereeing, but the rules are there.

Also, the subs are not about wasting time but breaking the momentum. 20 seconds of break will by definition change momentum and give the defending team time to regroup.

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont see a problem. Nothing more annoying than a team defend for 85 minutes then concede a late goal and then try play last 5 minutes

Thats more frustrating than time wasting. 

That’s madness. You’d rather punish good defending than time wasting? 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

That’s madness. You’d rather punish good defending than time wasting? 

difference between good defending and managers putting 10 men behind the ball in the hope of a 0-0

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The extra time is always a minimum. If there is a sub or an injury, more times should be added, but often isn't. It's a case of bad refereeing, but the rules are there.

Which is exactly the point.

All the rules are there, but they are rarely enforced properly.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

difference between good defending and managers putting 10 men behind the ball in the hope of a 0-0

Not really. This only typically happens is when a weak team comes up against an offensively strong team. If you sit 10 men behind the ball, you’re facing a LOT of attacks. To maintain 0-0 takes good defending. 

I do think prem refs are actually better at adding on time for time wasting than many in europe.

Lost count of amount of La Liga games I've watched where this dosen't happen over last few years.

Textbook example is 3 minutes will be added on (when it should be 4 or 5). A player will feign injury for about a minute. Someone else from the winning team will get subbed and trudge slowly off the pitch. Ref will then add exactly no time on to all that nonsense and indeed blow at something like 92.50. I'm pretty sure they asked a ref over there why he did that and his reply was along the lines of "the team crying they lost had 90 minutes to score a goal.":lol:

Anyway I think Sean Dyche had it right the other day, another player subbed should be off the pich in 15 seconds unless they have a bad injury. Anything more is time wasting and should be a yellow card.

Edit: I do remember a while back reading of a prem ref who started getting games in CL and europa and apparently it is Uefa directive to add as little injury time as possible unless the game is really stop start. Apparently due to them not wanting game changing decisions right at the end of games so as little time added on as possible reduces it. Madrid-Juventus last season would be a very good example of this, Michael Oliver obviously wasn't listening in the meetings.

Edited by VillaChris

One thing that amuses me, is 4 minutes of injury time is pretty standard.

Unless there's been a big injury or stoppage, i'd say the majority of the time at the end of the game you get 4 minutes. I'd put a bet on that that's the most common amount of injury time added.

But every time the fourth official holds up the board showing 4 minutes left, the fans from the winning team are OUTRAGED!

"WHERE THE **** DID YOU GET FOUR MINUTES FROM?!?!!?"

:D 

The point isn't the time taken to substitute, as that should always be added on (even if it isn't always)

The point is that it stops the opposing team getting any sort of rhythm going. As does running the ball into the corner and holding it there. As does taking time over goal kicks, throw ins or goal keeper distributions.

It's a strategic thing - and trying to enforce rules to stop it won't work: You can't make a team play if they have decided not to.

Â