John McGinn

PompeyVillan

20 minutes ago, pete101 said:

That contract would put him here just under 10 years, not including homegrown players , any others come to mind that have stayed similar length?

Jed Steer 🤣

• Haha 1

On 11/06/2023 at 12:46, gwi1890 said:

I read something about Ever Banega getting pi**ed off in training with Emery about tactical instructions, Emery  was apparently thrilled about his reaction as he wanted his players think, and understand why they were asked to do certain things rather than just going along with it without any real understanding why.  It’s quite the contrast to some managers freezing players out completely for questioning them. Another thing I found interesting is a story about a player (I can’t remember his name) who wasn’t getting picked  and felt he was good enough even though Emery had a chat with him about finding another club , he didn’t want to leave so Emery allowed him to participate in training with the first team and he soon came to the realisation that the drills and sessions were to complex for him and he didn’t possess the ability to keep up with the rest of the team. I thought that was an excellent piece of man management to give him the opportunity to prove himself rather than bombing him out and having him on the books for years doing nothing.

There's a few in that Villa team that don't exactly strike me as intellectuals. 

On 08/06/2023 at 20:45, MaVilla said:

yeah, English managers have a long way to go/develop to get to the level of many of the foreign coaches.

There was a time when British  managers were in demand from teams abroad. Atkinson, Toshack, Venables, Robson and Kendall. These things are cyclical. 

33 minutes ago, pete101 said:

That contract would put him here just under 10 years, not including homegrown players , any others come to mind that have stayed similar length?

How about? image.jpeg.ba1c55f52b96149e6f2e7b9981993f3e.jpeg Charlie Aitken 1959 - 1976. Pes Miti del Calcio - View topic - Eric HOUGHTON 1931-1935 Eric Houghton 1927 - 1946.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

McGinn, Mings  are the only ones left from our Championship days? Well, Davis and Hause aswell. Anyone else missing? What a transformation that has been. Fair enough for the level those two developed to. They’ve been good enough to start for a team that went to Europe.

Both him and mings will always hold a special relationship with our fanbase because of when they joined us.

It shows just how good signings they were at the time when you consider they are still among our best players now. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

since Gerrard left*. Gerrard nearly ruined the lad's career. 

Let’s not spoil this by mentioning that clown’s name, let’s forget him and move on.

Amazing the difference a proper manager and coach can have, we have an elite one now!

Shows how good players like McGinn and Mings actually are when someone like Unai sees them as valuable members of the team/squad, wants them to continue here and can get the best out of them.

So pleasing to see them continue to be a part of our journey and make huge contributions… much more loyal and invested in the club than some other guy(s) I won’t bother to mention…

Truly a part of the fabric of this club…

Tie down Ollie next, I really hope he breaks our PL goalscoring record.

Edited by Jas10

9 minutes ago, villa89 said:

since Gerrard left*. Gerrard nearly ruined the lad's career. 

McGinn's form went down from when Deano was here let's be real.

I know blaming Gerrard for everything is standard but it's true.

Emery is the common denominator here for the improvement in all of them.

A proper Manager leagues ahead of the predecessors.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 hour ago, pete101 said:

Jed Steer

Â