John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

He captains an international football team that were unlucky not to qualify for this winters World Cup. All action that has consistently been our best whoscored rated player in the 2021/22 season. Well liked in a dressing room of 12 different nationalities who respect him as a person and a footballer (being stereotyped as a funny man is your problem not his) and your final point is total horses**t. 

mate 

As was pointed out, Robertson is Scotland captain. They lost to a bang average Ukraine team. I don’t care about who scored. BTW if I wasn't and England fan, I'd support Scotland. I love the Scots, I have a little Scottish blood in me also. McGinn I love, but don't rate him beyond average Premier league player.

Everytime I watch Villa I struggle to understand the hype. He was brilliant when we were in the Championship. Since we became a premier league team, he's been average. His poor positional discipline, constant hoof the ball out without looking. Playing direct balls forward and giving the ball away when we have been under pressure for ages and need to just slow things down. The list goes on. He isn't that good. I haven't seen a leader in him, ever! 

I haven't seen good management from Gerrard either. He is a draw, and handles the media expertly. But the actual playing football stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

You can have your opinion, and I can have mine. We look at it from different perspectives.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

He has captained his country. 

Fact. 

Edit: I agree with the rest of your post, Im just not having the constant McGinn bashing on principle that he’s a funny man whos a bit shit and gives the ball away and doesn’t track back. 

He does track back, he's not shit. He is a funny man. But he isn’t a good decision maker on the pitch. Doesn’t play the situation well. Positionally ill-disciplined. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Appointing McGinn or taking it from Mings?

the former. It's a sign that the favourite will remain undroppable regardless of form, and thus more likely to the detriment of the team

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Aside from some people not necessarily thinking it's the right decision, we already know where the extra " oomph " in some of the outrage is coming from 😂

I've had a think for a couple of hours and it's grown on me. As I've said, it's a new manager and he wants his own stamp on things, which is fair.

I think my initial reaction was probably.mostly fueled from being gutted for Mings.

We just have to see how it plays out, a pre meltdown isn't changing anything 

I’m a bit confused by it as I get the impression he is becoming the biggest scapegoat when results don’t go our way so if it continued the fans may turn on him. 

Best way around it is to make sure we keep playing well and winning with or without our captain in the team.

53 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Prove it.

Most tackles per game in the entire squad.
Wins the most free kicks in the entire squad.
Most successful dribbles in the entire squad.
More key passes per game than everyone but Digne.

And, additionally, against those who he is “up against” in a central midfield role:

More assists
More clearances per game
More interceptions per game

But apart from being the best central midfielder defensively and creatively, what did he really do for us last season?

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

Bingo.

Whether we think McGinn or whoever should be captain is not at all for us to judge.  We don't see the players train, or conduct themselves every day. The manager does.  The thing that I have noticed is that McGinn doesn't seem to get himself involved in political matters off the pitch and he is always around and available for the fans - he was the ONLY first team player to show up at the unveiling of the legends plaques outside Villa Park a while back and he always seems to be on hand at fan forums and the like.  I also loved his comments during the lockdown when he essentially called out all the players at other clubs who were moaning about the "hardships" they were facing. 

Those of you who are claiming this makes him a guaranteed starter (because he's captain) clearly haven't been watching much football over the past 20-odd years! 

He deserves to be captain in my mind.  Good luck to him. 

He and Ty are very good with the fans. I like that Mings is vocal about matters far more important than football. We can disagree with his opinions, but I respect that he is man enough to speak his mind.  Ali became the greatest not just because he was a great boxer, but because he transcended boxing, and it was his political activism that facilitated that.

Of course we can judge. I've watched McGinn in a Villa shirt for 5 seasons, and under 3 managers  (way more than Gerrard), So I'm more than entitledto have an opinion. Of course I don't know what's goes on in the dressing room though., and that gives me a little hope that my analysis is wrong.

6 minutes ago, Richie k said:

We might see a better Mcginn this season. Having kamara might help him be himself

We know the real McGinn. Decent player, but not good enough be to a regular starter in a top half PL side. Definitely not the right type of player be starting in a possession based team anyway.

Edited by Tom13

4 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I'd be shocked if that's in Gerrards thought process. 

McGinn......good lord, I need a beer. A keg.

Hard to get Luiz and JJ in the team unless Buendia and Coutinho don't start together. I spose they are nice problems to have as a manager but we desperately need to put out a balanced side, especially in the middle, moreso now we have kamara

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have to admit I’m surprised by this but I do think McGinn is a decent player that gets a lot of unnecessary stick.  I didn’t see him as captain material though. 

@Zatman is going to be delighted with Gerrard after this 🤣 

No-one's saying he's not a 'decent player'. But we have better in his position.

Â