(Petition) If England win the world cup, the Monday should be made a Bank Holiday.

Kingman

they need to drop the "win" bit

that suggests that people will start drinking after the final whistle, in reality the tear up will start mid day and the hangovers will be there regardless of the result

expecting my place to give us the day off and even if they dont i will be working from home monday

let me get this straight, as I can’t see it clarified anywhere and @bickster I think threw a spanner in the works in another thread.

If it’s an extra day off, as in my 30 days annual leave (I get an extra day every 2 years I work for my company) becomes 31 days - obviously YES.

If it means I have one less day I can choose to have off when I want it, uh, why?

• Like 2

So far every day after an England game has had extra delays on the trains due to drivers not turning up for over time. A bank holiday would save travel chaos 

Health and safety

54 minutes ago, a m ole said:

let me get this straight, as I can’t see it clarified anywhere and @bickster I think threw a spanner in the works in another thread.

If it’s an extra day off, as in my 30 days annual leave (I get an extra day every 2 years I work for my company) becomes 31 days - obviously YES.

If it means I have one less day I can choose to have off when I want it, uh, why?

Fo' real.  **** telling me I have to use a days' holiday because England won the World Cup!

I'd rather work the day after anyway I think.  Everyone (most people) would be in a brilliant mood and sod all work would get done.  Perfect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kingman said:

If England win the world cup, the Monday should be made a bank holiday for 2018

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/223013  

72k votes, Needs 28k to go to parliament :clap:

Do you realise this isn't an extra day off? It'll be a day off forced upon you out of your annual leave of 28 days (for someone working 5 days a week).

Currently, the minimum annual leave is 28 days of which 8 days are taken up by public holidays leaving you with 20 days or 4 weeks to choose yourself.

Adding another public holiday wouldn't give you more time off, it would give you fewer days to choose yourself.

I currently have very few days left to book of my AL as I've planned to go away at various dates in the future, Which holiday should I cancel to accommodate this?

This is actually an idiotic attack on the freedom of workers to choose their time off and a typical piece of Labour Party idiocy. If they get their way and add a further 3 days of public holidays then workers will have less choice in when they are off work. The Labour Party supposedly being the party of the working class should be campaigning to abandon all but the xmas and New Year public holidays to give workers more choice, not less.

And the UK's 28 days is well above the EU dictated minimum days of AL you are entitled to

Utterly silly idea

• Like 2

FFS - Throw a sickie.

I've already started to lay the groundwork. Today I casually mentioned that the warm weather is giving me headaches. Tomorrow I'll have lost my appetite. Thursday will see me experience a crushing pain in the chest and numb left arm. Friday is scheduled to see a sudden fear of water and slight frothing at the mouth. Saturday I shall email my boss asking if I should walk into the light. 

Trust me.......it's foolproof.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Do you realise this isn't an extra day off? It'll be a day off forced upon you out of your annual leave of 28 days (for someone working 5 days a week).

Currently, the minimum annual leave is 28 days of which 8 days are taken up by public holidays leaving you with 20 days or 4 weeks to choose yourself.

Adding another public holiday wouldn't give you more time off, it would give you fewer days to choose yourself.

I currently have very few days left to book of my AL as I've planned to go away at various dates in the future, Which holiday should I cancel to accommodate this?

This is actually an idiotic attack on the freedom of workers to choose their time off and a typical piece of Labour Party idiocy. If they get their way and add a further 3 days of public holidays then workers will have less choice in when they are off work. The Labour Party supposedly being the party of the working class should be campaigning to abandon all but the xmas and New Year public holidays to give workers more choice, not less.

And the UK's 28 days is well above the EU dictated minimum days of AL you are entitled to

Utterly silly idea

its not necessarily forced upon you out of your annual leave

I for one would give it to all our staff as an extra day off , as I'm sure many other firms would  ...

it's Corbyn playing politics though , there isn't a band wagon that bloke wouldn't jump on if he thought it was popular , he's probably cheering on Croatia anyway

6 hours ago, Kingman said:

72k votes, Needs 28k to go to parliament

Not quite correct. It needs to get to the 100k mark to be considered by the Petitions Committee for debate.

Regardless of the arguments about bank holidays, I'm appalled by the idea that this will give a large number of MPs the chance for more shallow, vacuous bandwagon-riding. It'll just be slimy, ingratiating rocket polisher after irritating rocket polisher standing up to offer congratulations and try and make an 'amusing' remark.

If they have to debate it, make them come back from the summer recess to do it. See how many of the arses would come back in the middle of their six week break to spend a couple of hours 'debating' this.

Edited by snowychap
spelling of vacuous
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Not quite correct. It needs to get to the 100k mark to be considered by the Petitions Committee for debate.

Regardless of the arguments about bank holidays, I'm appalled by the idea that this will give a large number of MPs the chance for more shallow, vaccuous bandwagon-riding. It'll just be slimy, ingratiating rocket polisher after irritating rocket polisher standing up to offer congratulations and try and make an 'amusing' remark.

If they have to debate it, make them come back from the summer recess to do it. See how many of the arses would come back in the middle of their six week break to spend a couple of hours 'debating' this.

*more

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Utterly silly idea

It's not forced mate, besides I'm self-employed so I will be charging double for any graft on a Bank Holiday :D

5 minutes ago, Kingman said:

It's not forced mate, besides I'm self-employed so I will be charging double for any graft on a Bank Holiday :D

I'm not contracted to work bank holidays, I would be forced to take the day off

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

its not necessarily forced upon you out of your annual leave

I for one would give it to all our staff as an extra day off , as I'm sure many other firms would  ...

it's Corbyn playing politics though , there isn't a band wagon that bloke wouldn't jump on if he thought it was popular , he's probably cheering on Croatia anyway

I'll wager that the vast majority of companies in the UK would not take your approach