(Petition) If England win the world cup, the Monday should be made a Bank Holiday.

Kingman

Just now, Mandy Lifeboats said:

How old is the Queen?

We might be getting the day off anyway. 

as much as I love the queen and everything the monarchy represents, it would be funnier if she out lived jug eared Chazzer

but I may be straying off top

• Like 1

If your contract states that you get 20 days that you can choose yourself, and 8 bank holidays that you have to take, then surely an extra bank holiday would just mean you get 20 days you choose yourself, and 9 you have to take.  Employers are under no obligation to give people a day off, but I'd have thought that if they choose not to open a premises and an employee is prepared to work then they have to pay them?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not contracted to work bank holidays, I would be forced to take the day off

Would of thought that would of been classed as unlawful in a court of employment law mate? 

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Indeed. That still doesn't guarantee that it will be debated just that it will be considered for debate by the relevant committee.

Yeah, cira 160k signatures currently. 

2 hours ago, Risso said:

If your contract states that you get 20 days that you can choose yourself, and 8 bank holidays that you have to take, then surely an extra bank holiday would just mean you get 20 days you choose yourself, and 9 you have to take.  Employers are under no obligation to give people a day off, but I'd have thought that if they choose not to open a premises and an employee is prepared to work then they have to pay them?

Most contracts just state 28 days including Bank Holidays.

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Not wishing to be a party pooper, but practically isn't it going to be really difficult to sort out at a day's notice anyway?  

You'd need a years notice to introduce it anyway

41 minutes ago, bickster said:

Most contracts just state 28 days including Bank Holidays.

I'm shocked by this as I honestly hadn't realised this is how it is for some people. My contract is x amount of annual leave days plus bank holidays which last year was 9 due to Good Friday being in March and will this year be 7. The amount of annual leave I get doesn't change though and has only ever changed with time served. That is the way it has always been.

During the Royal Wedding in 2011 then you were forced to use an annual leave day?

Edited by markavfc40

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Not wishing to be a party pooper, but practically isn't it going to be really difficult to sort out at a day's notice anyway?  

It would take about 6-12 months to organise an official extra bank holiday!

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I'm shocked by this as I honestly hadn't realised this is how it is for some people. My contract is x amount of annual leave days plus bank holidays which last year was 9 due to Good Friday being in March and will this year be 7. The amount of annual leave I get doesn't change though and has only ever changed with time served. That is the way it has always been.

During the Royal Wedding in 2011 then you were forced to use an annual leave day?

Same. I get 28 plus bank holidays. My holiday period is 1st Jan to 31st December so my entitlement never changes. An extra bank holiday would mean an extra day off for me. It would just cancel out the leap year day I work every 4 years!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Back then I was in a different role where I had to work bank holidays if rota’d on. I honestly cannot remember if I was in work that day or not. I did however not gain an extra days holiday. 

I suspect I may have taken overtime that day if I was off just to escape the bollocks

• Like 1