(Petition) If England win the world cup, the Monday should be made a Bank Holiday.

Kingman

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Back then I was in a different role where I had to work bank holidays if rota’d on. I honestly cannot remember if I was in work that day or not. I did however not gain an extra days holiday. 

I suspect I may have taken overtime that day if I was off just to escape the bollocks

I understand a lot of people have to work bank holidays but I'd have thought in a lot of jobs you would get a day in lieu. I had to work new years day this year but then got a day in lieu to take when I want.

I'd have thought what I have which is an x amount of annual leave plus bank holidays (however many that may be in a given year) was more the norm than what you describe but I may well be wrong.

8 hours ago, bickster said:

Do you realise this isn't an extra day off? It'll be a day off forced upon you out of your annual leave of 28 days (for someone working 5 days a week).

Currently, the minimum annual leave is 28 days of which 8 days are taken up by public holidays leaving you with 20 days or 4 weeks to choose yourself.

Adding another public holiday wouldn't give you more time off, it would give you fewer days to choose yourself.

I currently have very few days left to book of my AL as I've planned to go away at various dates in the future, Which holiday should I cancel to accommodate this?

This is actually an idiotic attack on the freedom of workers to choose their time off and a typical piece of Labour Party idiocy. If they get their way and add a further 3 days of public holidays then workers will have less choice in when they are off work. The Labour Party supposedly being the party of the working class should be campaigning to abandon all but the xmas and New Year public holidays to give workers more choice, not less.

And the UK's 28 days is well above the EU dictated minimum days of AL you are entitled to

Utterly silly idea

Absolutely not true. I work for nhs and been told it WILL NOT IMPACT our current al. It will be a extra day off for all staff.

Can't see it happening regardless what we going to do cancel everyone's appointments for Monday due to football? 

Days when most people are expected to be off certainly don't need six months or more to prepare. The ninth day after the Queen dies will be her funeral, and most places of employment will be expected to close that day, which is obviously unknown in advance. 

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Same. I get 28 plus bank holidays. My holiday period is 1st Jan to 31st December so my entitlement never changes. An extra bank holiday would mean an extra day off for me. It would just cancel out the leap year day I work every 4 years!

I get 28 plus bank holidays plus my birthday ??

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Also, reckon there's any chance of this actually being debated in Parliament before the weekend?

nope

Utterly utterly futile exercise

It’s either this or Brexit, I think I know where the debate would prefer to go

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Days when most people are expected to be off certainly don't need six months or more to prepare. The ninth day after the Queen dies will be her funeral, and most places of employment will be expected to close that day, which is obviously unknown in advance. 

That's just what Charles wants you to think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3