Two Questions for England Fans

maqroll

1. Does it matter to you that the manager is English?

2. Does it matter to you that an American company makes the England kit?

Edited by maqroll

No. 

No.  Though I didn't much care for the hostile takeover of Umbro, and I haven't bought a Nike manufactured England shirt. 

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

No. 

No.  Though I didn't much care for the hostile takeover of Umbro, and I haven't bought a Nike manufactured England shirt. 

I didn't know Nike took over Umbro, bummer.

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

1. Matter, no - but ideally the manager would be English. 

2. As above (but replace ‘manager’ with ‘kit manufacturer’). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

1. No. I'd probably say I'd PREFER the manager to be English. But no it doesn't really matter

2. No. Couldn't care less.

1. Yes. In fact I think the qualification rules for managers should be exactly the same as for players. 

2. No, don't give a damn. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

1. Yes. In fact I think the qualification rules for managers should be exactly the same as for players. 

I've often thought that too, but I think it would be a massive hinderence to smaller nations

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

2. No, don't give a damn. 

Me too.  Regarding the kit my only problem is if we just have one of those templates that everyone else has, just a different colour.  It seems incredibly lazy for the amount of money the average fan has to pay for a replica.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Spoken like a citizen of a major footballing nation.

56 minutes ago, BOF said:

Spoken like a citizen of a major footballing nation.

Before Southgate (Allardyce), the English F.A. was appointing foreign managers, and most England fans seemed to think this was a good idea - they were deemed to be better than English managers. I was opposed to it then, and I went on record here as saying I'd rather see us fail with an English boss than succeed with a foreign one. To me, it's tantamount to cheating. 

And I'm far from being a patriotic flag waver. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Before Southgate (Allardyce), the English F.A. was appointing foreign managers, and most England fans seemed to think this was a good idea - they were deemed to be better than English managers. I was opposed to it then, and I went on record here as saying I'd rather see us fail with an English boss than succeed with a foreign one. To me, it's tantamount to cheating. 

That's not the point I'm making.  You said the manager [of ALL national teams] should qualify in the same way that his players do.  Small/developing/emerging nations don't have the coaching resources to progress their game without bringing in outside coaches.  It would essentially be the blind coaching the blind.  Only the bigger footballing nations can afford to be so idealistic.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

That's not the point I'm making.  You said the manager [of ALL national teams] should qualify in the same way that his players do.  Small/developing/emerging nations don't have the coaching resources to progress their game without bringing in outside coaches.  It would essentially be the blind coaching the blind.  Only the bigger footballing nations can afford to be so idealistic.

But that's international sport. It's not about trying to make everything equal. You may as well let countries play 'naturalised' Brazilians. Oh wait, they already do. And that's cheating, too. Some countries do manage to punch above their weight in producing top players. Maybe their up and coming coaches need to go abroad to develop their skills, like players do. I dunno. Sorry, but (say) England managed by Ericsson or Capello may as well be a club side. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Having a foreign coach is cheating?!

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Having a foreign coach is cheating?!

Probably the wrong word, but kind of, yeah. It's probably naïve and old fashioned, but I'd like to think that the players are there out of pride, representing their homeland, not doing it as a job. And I feel their coach should be the same. Fabio Capello's England playing against Italy? Doesn't sit right with me. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Probably the wrong word, but kind of, yeah. It's probably naïve and old fashioned, but I'd like to think that the players are there out of pride, representing their homeland, not doing it as a job. And I feel their coach should be the same. Fabio Capello's England playing against Italy? Doesn't sit right with me. 

That's fair, and I understand the sentiment (I'd rather have an English manager) but for every nation to be forced to have their coach from their own country?

Where do you draw the line, too?  Are England cheating by having a Scottish striking coach and Welsh goalkeeping coach?  Are England cheating by having a state-of-the-art training facility which has been part-funded by American giant Nike?  Are England cheating by having foreign coaches training their players at club level? etc. etc.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

That's fair, and I understand the sentiment (I'd rather have an English manager) but for every nation to be forced to have their coach from their own country?

Where do you draw the line, too?  Are England cheating by having a Scottish striking coach and Welsh goalkeeping coach?  Are England cheating by having a state-of-the-art training facility which has been part-funded by American giant Nike?  Are England cheating by having foreign coaches training their players at club level? etc. etc.

OK, not cheating, but like you, I'd rather they had an all English staff. 

• Like 1

i dont think they have to be english but would 1) prefer english 2) prefer a foreign manager from english football

for example if southgate bit the bullet after this world cup i would rather we went shopping in the PL than abroad, not saying they would take it but pep, klopp, jose over allegri or even the likes of low

not because of any billy big bollocks english football thing more i think they will have an understanding of an english footballers mentality which has been the downfall of some very talented england sides

the kit thing is irrelevant, it'll be whoever puts the most food in the greedy piggies trough 

Edited by villa4europe

Â