World Cup : Semi Finals & Final

BOF

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Southgate blew it plain and simple. Crying out for changes yet again and he sat on his hands.

Bollocks to the great effort, this was a brilliant chance and we blew it. 

Bruceball. 

When you are on top you kill the game. You don't just sit in and let the other team start playing.

I don't know what he could have changed, the quality just isn't there, where's the creativity? Hardly any shots on target throughout the match and really nothing on the bench to help that. Not really sure what he could have done, in fairness he has excelled himself this tournament. Thought he was a lousy manager based on his Middlesbrough and U21 exploits but he was tactically very good this tournament and showed he could motivate a team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

What he didnt explain was that the tactics tonight is what lead to the tiredness, chasing long balls and chasing shadows in midfield

It was the only way to stop their midfield, if they'd have sat back more Croatia would have folded England in normal time. 

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yes, we lack a bit of that extra quality needed but we have come a long long way and I'm sure we can improve.

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm sure we've said that after many a Villa game as well! 

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't know what he could have changed, the quality just isn't there, where's the creativity? Hardly any shots on target throughout the match and really nothing on the bench to help that. Not really sure what he could have done, in fairness he has excelled himself this tournament. Thought he was a lousy manager based on his Middlesbrough and U21 exploits but he was tactically very good this tournament and showed he could motivate a team.

A bit of pace when 1-0 up. Everyone could see Kane was dead. Why carry him?

Young and Trippier were getting roasted, Alli and Lingard were dead. We should have helped them out. Too many balls were getting into the box.

It was so obvious.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Southgate blew it plain and simple.

This isn't a fair assessment at all. For an inexperienced manager with an inexperienced squad, he did a great job and surpassed expectations of basically everyone. 

It wasn't the hardest run, but our knockout opposition was a damn lot tougher on paper than Iceland, with a squad that's considered worse. We've done **** all in tournaments in donkeys years despite having allegedly world class players. This squad didn't let the pressure and expectations get to them.

We could maybe have done better tonight, but I don't think going out to Croatia by one goal in extra time of a semi final can be considered 'blowing it'.

You want to talk about blowing it, look at Germany, look at Argentina. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Not sure he was.

Just now, Zatman said:

Maybe bit was given as offside 

flag was up after the shot but he was well on and it would have gone to VAR and been given

• Like 1

Just now, tom_avfc said:

Definitely wasn’t offside and I’d like to think VAR would gave resolved that easily enough.

That’s the moment that changed the game though.

On another note VAR has disappeared since group stage

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Young and Trippier were getting roasted, Alli and Lingard were dead. We should have helped them out. Too many balls were getting into the box.

It was so obvious.

Don't think you'd take the tournaments top scorer off tbh, Vardy not cut out for this level and Gashford is an anti-finisher. 

Just now, rodders0223 said:

It was so obvious.

Agreed with this. The right full back was getting far too much space to get crosses into the box and we made no attempt to stop this. Inevitably the equaliser came from one of his crosses. 

8 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I don't think I've ever felt this bad over football. The Wembley loss and then going out like this after being so close to a WC final. This hurts so much

And to top it off we've got to go back to our sack of shite shambles of a club. Joy 

Villa's Wembley performance was far more upsetting to me. With England, I've enjoyed seeing us surpass expectations and potentially set up a bright future for the next few tournaments.

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Don't think you'd take the tournaments top scorer off tbh, Vardy not cut out for this level and Gashford is an anti-finisher. 

Throw on Danny Welbeck

• Haha 1

Â