World Cup : Group F (Ger, Mex, Swe, Kor)

BOF

The newspapers this morning are embarrassing.

We didn't knock Germany out. I'm sure they'll get over it seeing as they won the last one and it would be no surprise if they won the next one.

It's a bit like Blues fans laughing at Villa when we go out of a competition. Laugh it up, you're still pointlessly shit.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I genuinely don't understand the celebration of Germany being knocked out.

Amusement, sure.  Enjoying upsets, sure.  Actually celebrating?  Pathetic.

I only saw the BBC and they were so smug about it. As if Germany was the only obstacle England had to win the World Cup

52 minutes ago, bobzy said:

This widespread mocking nature in football is something I’m finding myself more and more averse to these days.

That Fox Sports Brazil tweet (“hahahaha”.....etc) is fairly embarrassing. All the talk of “revenge” that accompanied it too. I could maybe understand it if Germany had cheated against Brazil four years ago, but they didn’t. To my recollection, one the German players (I forget which) said afterwards they were aware of the sheer disarray Brazil were in at halftime and didn’t want to showboat to embarrass them further. You know, sportsmanship like?

Obviously I know that taking joy in another team’s defeat isn’t exactly new. But I find a lot of the humour and celebration quite petty. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older and my tolerance for this sort of stuff is diminishing.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BOF said:

TBQH I don't understand people not understanding.  Football is extremely tribal and built on rivalries, and yes a healthy amount of schadenfreude goes with the territory.  'Laughing' at other teams' misfortune is part and parcel of the game.  It always has been.  I can understand non-football fans not understanding it, but football fans know fine well how it all works.  So when I hear a football fan being fauxtraged at other fans laughing at rivals, I just see it as them seizing on a manufactured opportunity to lord it over people from some artificial moral high ground.

I understand it perfectly. I just don’t particularly enjoy it. Well, certainly nowhere near as much as I would have done in the past anyway.

But hey, each to their own.

Edit - my initial post did say “I could maybe understand it....”, to be fair. So to clarify, I do get why Brazil might revel in Germany going out, but I think it’s a bit petty, especially when it wasn’t Brazil who knocked them out.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

I understand it perfectly. I just don’t particularly enjoy it. Well, certainly nowhere near as much as I would have done in the past anyway.

But hey, each to their own.

Well that's it.  I'm not one for gloating but I get why a gentle or not-so gentle ribbing is part of the deal.  "You do you" as they say.

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

Well that's it.  I'm not one for gloating but I get why a gentle or not-so gentle ribbing is part of the deal.  "You do you" as they say.

Oh I do me all the time mate, no problems on that front ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Welcome to the small mind of your average England fan.

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

It's all a bit Blues fan for my taste.

Lauding it up because they have had one bad world cup, when they have won it 4 times. The cringe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

TBQH I don't understand people not understanding.  Football is extremely tribal and built on rivalries, and yes a healthy amount of schadenfreude goes with the territory.  'Laughing' at other teams' misfortune is part and parcel of the game.  It always has been.  I can understand non-football fans not understanding it, but football fans know fine well how it all works.  So when I hear a football fan being fauxtraged at other fans laughing at rivals, I just see it as them seizing on a manufactured opportunity to lord it over people from some artificial moral high ground.

I get it, it's just this particular England vs Germany rivalry. 

I say rivalry, it's not a rivalry. It's a one sided thing. I don't think Germany give a **** about England.

It just always strikes me as really small time from us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

It's all a bit Blues fan for my taste.

Lauding it up because they have had one bad world cup, when they have won it 4 times. The cringe.

This. If we were like, neck and neck in World Cups or something it'd be completely fair enough. But they're so far ahead it's embarrassing. Oh, they failed to make it out of the group for the first time since before the Second World War? Well, we've managed to make it out of the group one time in a row, so I guess we can really be smug about this eh. 

4 hours ago, BOF said:

I’m not fauxtraged at all - it’s just pathetic. There’s a world of difference between “laughing at other teams’ misfortune” and actively cheering on the opposition.

Two things mentioned above are completely true - a] it’s incredibly small time and b] German fans would absolutely not give a shit. 

What’s the “rivalry” even over? Some wars 70 odd years ago? **** hell. 

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

So other British nations don’t do it when England lose? 

Well this is the exact reasons why the other home nations are happy when England lose. Not the team or the fans but the jingoistic media

If England had beaten Germany then fair enough

• Like 1

Ludwig Augustinsson who I've been banging on about us signing for 5 years in the EUROSPORT "Team of the group stage" 

Not that one swallow makes a summer, but oh what could have been. 

His next move will be to a big club for a big fee.

Dg2L1GAX4AAnpyv.jpg

Edited by sne
  • Sad 1

Â