18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

11 hours ago, weedman said:

Had you said "I don't think we'll go up" you'd have been right 100%, but you didn't say that, you said we had "no chance", which was wrong 

This is ridiculous. When I said no chance I meant we definitely wouldn't. That's just semantics. And I was right. Anyway. That was last season and this is this season. 

Here you go: We definitely won't get promoted this 

Any manager going into the season with this squad should have achieved these results as an absolute minimum:

Hull (a) - Win

Wigan (h) - Win

Ipswich (a) - Win

Brentford (h) - Draw

Reading (h) - Win

Sheff Utd (a) - Draw

Blackburn (a) - Win

Rotherham (h) - Win

Sheff Wed (h) - Draw

21 points which would now see us 3 points clear at the top of the league...

Now we look at it if we had sacked Bruce at the international break and brought in someone else, minimum results should have been:

Blackburn (a) - Win

Rotherham (h) - Win

Sheff Wed (h) - Draw

16 points, two points off top but in the playoff places and a team on the up.

The longer this goes on the further behind we go. It's all well and good saying 'it's a long season ahead', 'there's plenty of points to play for' but the last two weekends have seen results go in our favour and we haven't capitalised on it. If we have any chance of going up we need to change things NOW

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Any manager going into the season with this squad should have achieved these results as an absolute minimum:

Hull (a) - Win

Wigan (h) - Win

Ipswich (a) - Win

Brentford (h) - Draw

Reading (h) - Win

Sheff Utd (a) - Draw

Blackburn (a) - Win

Rotherham (h) - Win

Sheff Wed (h) - Draw

21 points which would now see us 3 points clear at the top of the league...

Now we look at it if we had sacked Bruce at the international break and brought in someone else, minimum results should have been:

Blackburn (a) - Win

Rotherham (h) - Win

Sheff Wed (h) - Draw

16 points, two points off top but in the playoff places and a team on the up.

The longer this goes on the further behind we go. It's all well and good saying 'it's a long season ahead', 'there's plenty of points to play for' but the last two weekends have seen results go in our favour and we haven't capitalised on it. If we have any chance of going up we need to change things NOW

I bet you were saying something similar about Sherwood. Not a defence of Bruce but I don’t think it’s a simple as no Bruce means instant better results. 

Our fixtures from mid of November to end of December are horrible. More aways than home and we also have a run of playing Boro, West Brom, Stoke and Leeds in a row.

Stick with Bruce and we'll have another run up to xmas we did last season.

Logic thing would be to get manager in next few weeks rather than throwing him into that run of games which could happen if we keep giving SB more chances to turn things round.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I bet you were saying something similar about Sherwood. Not a defence of Bruce but I don’t think it’s a simple as no Bruce means instant better results. 

Sherwood was a crap manager with a crap squad. It didn't matter who was in charge of that team.

We now have one of the best squads in the league, yet we are sat mid-table after a pretty straightforward start to the season.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Sherwood was a crap manager with a crap squad. It didn't matter who was in charge of that team.

We now have one of the best squads in the league, yet we are sat mid-table after a pretty straightforward start to the season.

Personally I think we have a very average aging back 4 and one of the worst keepers in the league.  We do have a lot of strength in other positions though. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Personally I think we have a very average aging back 4 and one of the worst keepers in the league.  We do have a lot of strength in other positions though. 

Exactly this. I'm sick of hearing what a great squad we have when it's demonstrably not true.

We have fantastic attacking options, of that there is no doubt, but we are so weak at the back that it's impossible to claim we have a great "squad" as for me that suggests we are strong all over the pitch. Which we clearly aren't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Exactly this. I'm sick of hearing what a great squad we have when it's demonstrably not true.

We have fantastic attacking options, of that there is no doubt, but we are so weak at the back that it's impossible to claim we have a great "squad" as for me that suggests we are strong all over the pitch. Which we clearly aren't.

We are very strong in every single position bar center back. That's a strong squad to me. 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

We are very strong in every single position bar center back. That's a strong squad to me. 

I guess it comes down to a persons definition of a strong squad. 

For me a strong squad is a good player in ever position and an adequate player for cover. 

On that basis I would argue we are weak in goalkeeper, left back and centre half positions.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I guess it comes down to a persons definition of a strong squad. 

For me a strong squad is a good player in ever position and an adequate player for cover. 

On that basis I would argue we are weak in goalkeeper, left back and centre half positions.  

Indeed. But that’s not weak for a Championship squad. Other than rare exceptions a good first Eleven is par for the course.

There are other teams with a better all round back 5, but that’s it. Nobody comes near us for our squad of 25 players.In my view - despite sone people thinking it’s factually wrong (!?).