What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Went to Cotteridge Wines today and significantly lightened the load in my wallet. Going to post details of the beverages here, as much to help me keep track as anything, but might also be of some interest:

wild-beer-co-sleeping-limes-2616-p.jpg

Name: Sleeping Limes

Brewer: The Wild Beer Co

Price: £2.20

Side-of-can Bumf: 'What is it? A lager, a gose, a sour . . . All, or none of the above . . . Put simply it is the most refreshing beer we've ever brewed'

Review: Purchased because of previous encounter. Not much to say really, beyond the description above. It tastes quite a bit of lime and salt, though fortunately more of the former than the latter. No real taste beyond that, but slips down very easily. Worth it at the price point. 

Wasn't very impressed when I tried it, as you say ok.

I do love their Sleeping Lemon export. The first time I tried it, I wondered what the hell I had I bought, but love it now.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Wasn't very impressed when I tried it, as you say ok.

I do love their Sleeping Lemon export. The first time I tried it, I wondered what the hell I had I bought, but love it now.

I purchased a bottle of the sleeping lemons as well so I'm glad to hear you liked that one! 

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I purchased a bottle of the sleeping lemons as well so I'm glad to hear you liked that one! 

The saltiness took me surprise the first time I had it, get past that and it's really nice.

I love a pint of Fresh too.

BeavertownGammaRay.jpg

Name: Gamma Ray

Brewer: Beavertown

Price: dunno, the sticker fell off

Side-of-can Bumf: n/a

Review: Excellent! A light American-style pale ale with quite floral-y hops with a slight citrus aftertaste. Not as tropical as they claim on their website, and no bad thing either. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

can-mockup-frambuzi.png?width=355

Name: Frambuzi Raspberry Sour

Brewer: Tiny Rebel

Price: £2.00

Review: Not good. Not sure why I purchased it. I guess because I like raspberries, and I generally like sour things. But this doesn't taste like real raspberries, and has left a taste in my mouth like bad cough medicine. After each mouthful, the liquid disappears, and you're left with this sort of deeply unnatural residue type taste. I'm still trying to get rid of it thirty minutes later. 

Melba@x2.png

Name: Dame Melba Phantom

Brewer: Beavertown

Price: £3.00

Review: If the last one was how not to make something that's quite sour and tastes of raspberries, this is the absolute opposite. Refreshing, just a little fruity, just a little sour, really nice when straight out of the fridge and comes in a really beautiful can. Pricey, but very good. 

450x450.jpg

Name: Easy Shift

Brewer: Fierce

Price: £2.30

Side-of-can Bumf: 'This light and easy drinking pale ale is something that can be enjoyed at any time of the day. Citrus flavours and a light hoppy character mean that refreshment is guaranteed'. 

Review: Definitely refreshing, if somewhat watery. Flavour reminded me less of citrus and more of pineapple, which was different in a pleasant way. Right on the edge of too expensive. 

• 2 weeks later...

4b31ecc0-b911-4970-b7ff-2ac8dd18e259.jpg

Name: Guavarita Vice

Brewer: Magic Rock

Price: £2.50

Review: The peach melba berliner weisse I tried from Beavertown was really good, but this is even better! I was put off by the words 'Thai basil' in the name but I couldn't taste it. Anyway, just a tiny bit sour and with a real crisp zestyness to it. And a whole 50p per can cheaper too! The best so far. 

• Like 1

Four days of early starts this week (half term childcare), so I was planning on not having a drink until Thursday. 

Last night our quiz team friends were on holiday, so skipped the pub. Tick. 

Tonight... ah, Sheepdogs gig at the Brudenell. Oh well, I managed one day. 

Tomorrow may be a bit grim. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

This seems like the best thread for this one. The Guardian's fifty best pubs in Britain. How many have you been in? (The Bartons Arms is in). 

This thread might have had a shout regarding the article -

VT pub guide

In answer to the question, I have been to a dismal 2% of the pubs on that list which would be The Barton Arms.

It just means that there are 49 good pubs that I need to visit.

image.jpg

Name: Pizza Hawai

Brewer: Brouwerij Kees

Price: £3.00

Side-of-can Bumf: n/a

Review: I purchased this one as a joke. 'Surely not', I thought. 'Nobody would be daft enough to actually make a beer that tastes of ham. Still, won't it be funny to find out?' Then I kept pushing it back in the larder, finding reasons to drink other things first. Tonight I gave in and tried it, though not without trepidation. In the end, the worry was for nothing, as it actually wasn't as ghastly as the concept or the can art would have you expect. It does taste of pineapple - it appears on the ingredients list - but thankfully 'notes of ham' are mostly notable by their absence. You wouldn't really be able to tell it tasted of Hawaiian pizza without the can prompting you. However, while it was, in the end, perfectly pleasant, £3.00 is pretty pricy for a bit of a novelty item. 

MikkellerHairintheMailbox.jpg

Name: Hair In The Mailbox

Brewer: Mikkeller

Price: £2.70

Side-of-can Bumf: n/a

Review: No novelty item this! Rooted around in the shop for ages, and in the end found the only can remaining. Still, knew that was a score. This is an IPA with a very floral initial taste, and a very fresh feel, which has subtle hints of a fruitier flavour in its aftertaste. Highly, highly recommended, even at the price. 

Â