Uefa Champions League Draw

andykeenan

Buffon plays for such an unpleasant club though. He seems like a decent enough chap but I can't cheer for him.  Juventus are institutional cheats. If they aren't pumping their players with PEDs then they are bribing officials, and if they aren't doing that they are sucking the life out of Italian football. They are about to bore their way to a 7th consecutive Scudetto, throw that into the extremely large pile of other winners medals Buffon has picked up with Juve and Parma, and his World Cup, and the tens of millions he has in the bank and I don't think he'll retire feeling unfulfilled.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Buffon plays for such an unpleasant club though. He seems like a decent enough chap but I can't cheer for him.  Juventus are institutional cheats. If they aren't pumping their players with PEDs then they are bribing officials, and if they aren't doing that they are sucking the life out of Italian football. They are about to bore their way to a 7th consecutive Scudetto, throw that into the extremely large pile of other winners medals Buffon has picked up with Juve and Parma, and his World Cup, and the tens of millions he has in the bank and I don't think he'll retire feeling unfulfilled.  

I agree with what you say about Ube, but - Gigi lives for football.  He would have retired a couple of years ago if it was about money.  He wants that CL medal.

Yea, if he doesn't get one, I'm sure he'll live - but to stay at his level until the age of 41, you've gotta want it badly. 

I wish they'd won it last year. 

I don't like Juve, but some of their traditions are good, like their yearly friendly at Villar Perosa. 

I'm a Milan fan (and very soft on Roma due to Totti), so I want either of those to mount a challenge - Juve winning every year is boring. 

I'm sure he does want the medal, but I'd imagine he wants to play for as long as possible because I mean, what does he do next? The guy has been a professional footballer (and first team member) for almost 25 years, the first Saturday of the new season where he doesn't get to do that any more is going to be a crushing experience for him.  I'd cheer for the bloke if he didn't play for that awful football club. 

On 16/03/2018 at 11:33, sne said:

Boring draw.

If everything goes according to plan UEFA will have the 4 teams they want in the semi's

City, Real, Barca, Bayern avoid each other. Quelle surprise .

Not sure I agree with all the conspiracy. Where do PSG fit into this? They drew Real Madrid last time out. 

Last year they had PSG vs Barca then Barca vs Juve in the knockouts.

2 rule changes for next year -

4th sub can be used if a game goes in to extra time

In the final each team is allowed to name a 23 man squad so 12 subs on the bench (i think thats coming, serie A might already do it, in theory its a good idea because for the likes of us it would mean yoof on the bench every game, for the PL it would mean bloated squads)

On 27/03/2018 at 11:31, villa4europe said:

2 rule changes for next year -

4th sub can be used if a game goes in to extra time

In the final each team is allowed to name a 23 man squad so 12 subs on the bench (i think thats coming, serie A might already do it, in theory its a good idea because for the likes of us it would mean yoof on the bench every game, for the PL it would mean bloated squads)

The more subs on the bench, the more it favours the richer clubs with the biggest squads.

It removes any sort of tactic from picking subs if you can just have all of them.

Another small factor twisted to the big clubs' favour

• Like 2

that kind of is what it is, the 23 man match day squad, the non cup tied stuff both favour the bigger teams

the disappointment for me is the tweaking of extra time, shows they still have no intention of scrapping it, should go straight to pens

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

that kind of is what it is, the 23 man match day squad, the non cup tied stuff both favour the bigger teams

the disappointment for me is the tweaking of extra time, shows they still have no intention of scrapping it, should go straight to pens

I disagree. I hate penalty shootouts deciding a winner. 

7 hours ago, Hornso said:

Not much alternatives. An NHL play off style of play until you score would be interesting but can kill players 

Some games ive seen could go weeks without a goal as well

9 hours ago, Hornso said:

ultimate skill test for me, every professional footballer should be capable of hitting an unsavable penalty but they dont / cant, instead you add gamesmanship, nerves, arrogance half the time

extra time tests fitness and conditioning and a game thats been shit for 90 minutes wont suddenly get better by adding an extra 30

I appreciate your points but sometimes sides sit back and soak up pressure in extra time because they think their best chance is penalties.

Id like 10 min halves with 9 players each. Then another 5 min halves with 7 players etc. Managers forced to think about which players to leave on, how to set up.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not much alternatives. An NHL play off style of play until you score would be interesting but can kill players 

Some games ive seen could go weeks without a goal as well

How about switching the format a bit 

I love penalties, and they're great TV.  So why not have them all the time, before the match.  That way the side who lost the shoot-out know they cannot afford to draw the game, and they play accordingly, and we all get a peno shoot-out.

brilliant.jpg

• Like 1

Â