The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

Yes, and lets have 3 timeout a half, and split the halves into quarters!

Don't forget the advert breaks half way through the quarters, just like in ice hockey. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Don't forget the advert breaks half way through the quarters, just like in ice hockey. 

Half way through? You clearly don't watch much hockey... there's a break every 3-4 minutes at times

1 minute ago, og1874 said:

Half way through? You clearly don't watch much hockey... there's a break every 3-4 minutes at times

Been to one game when visiting a friend in the States. Knew there were 15 minute quarters and got really confused when 8 minutes in everyone just started skating around not playing. 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Been to one game when visiting a friend in the States. Knew there were 15 minute quarters and got really confused when 8 minutes in everyone just started skating around not playing. 

They're 20 minutes periods (3 thereof), not quarters :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, og1874 said:

They're 20 minutes periods (3 thereof), not quarters :)

The most enjoyable/entertaining thing that game was getting a pretzel, the one fight wasn't even very intense and more like just shoving. I've got no desire to ever see another game so obviously misremembering timings slightly. 

12 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The most enjoyable/entertaining thing that game was getting a pretzel, the one fight wasn't even very intense and more like just shoving. I've got no desire to ever see another game so obviously misremembering timings slightly. 

Yeah, it's... it's not great really is it hahaha

I tried to get into it a few times since I live in Canada, but I really can't get into it. I'm sure there are lots of nuances and tactics that would make it more enjoyable, but to me it looks like kids in the park having a kick-around... just a swarm of bodies around wherever the puck happens to be. There's no majesty, no 80 yard outside of the foot cross-field passes etc.

1 hour ago, og1874 said:

I tried to get into it a few times since I live in Canada, but I really can't get into it. I'm sure there are lots of nuances and tactics that would make it more enjoyable, but to me it looks like kids in the park having a kick-around... just a swarm of bodies around wherever the puck happens to be. There's no majesty, no 80 yard outside of the foot cross-field passes etc.

Its a lot better as a sport if you watch a European game instead of the North American version, its a bigger rink and its a lot less stop start though it is missing a lot of the superstars and the glamour

1 hour ago, og1874 said:

Yeah - been in Canada 35 years now. Managed one NHL game, (well the nearest is an hours flight away). It was the most boring sporting event out there. Between the ice spray being swept up and the Zamboni there was a little bit of action. The Canucks won, but if it was not the smarmy box I got invited to, the evening would have been dull.

The local games are much better ... Go Smoke Eaters and BV Nitehawks

I recently went to a hickey game for the first time. My University is known for scouting and recruiting more European-Type players. Players that dribble and are technically better than a lot of the big bruisers that other schools go for (and I guess end up in the NBA)

It was ok - no fights in college which was a bit of a disappointment, but it was definitely a family affair with young kids gong with their parents which was nice to see.

9 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Yeah - been in Canada 35 years now. Managed one NHL game, (well the nearest is an hours flight away). It was the most boring sporting event out there. Between the ice spray being swept up and the Zamboni there was a little bit of action. The Canucks won, but if it was not the smarmy box I got invited to, the evening would have been dull.

The local games are much better ... Go Smoke Eaters and BV Nitehawks

My one game was a Minnesota Wild one and they were playing their big rivals (think it was Colorado or someone). The away fans didn't chant once the entire game and the home fans continually chanted the same song nonstop... "let's go wild... Let's go wild... Let's go wild." obviously an imaginative bunch. 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

My one game was a Minnesota Wild one and they were playing their big rivals (think it was Colorado or someone). The away fans didn't chant once the entire game and the home fans continually chanted the same song nonstop... "let's go wild... Let's go wild... Let's go wild." obviously an imaginative bunch. 

Not really that much of an away following in hockey since they play 4 times a week and play the rivals about 9 times a season 

Atmosphere heats up during the playoffs 

11 minutes ago, sne said:

US sports don't generally have much away fans does it?

Because of the distances and they play a lot on worknights or Sunday so usually just people that moved cities. Probably get more away fans at New York or Los Angeles games for example 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Because of the distances and they play a lot on worknights or Sunday so usually just people that moved cities. Probably get more away fans at New York or Los Angeles games for example 

Yeah exactly. And also a lot of franchises sell out their stadium every night and have a waiting list that is years long so there are very few tickets available. 

The fan culture is very different over there compared to most of the world.

19 minutes ago, sne said:

US sports don't generally have much away fans does it?

from my experience with watching the lakers and chargers they have a huge ticket resale market, i didnt buy my ticket from the lakers i bought it from a resale partner and as such the prices fluctuate in a mental way, i could have watched the clippers play for $8 a ticket or watch the lakers play lebrons cavs for $200, the chargers have the problem that they're new in LA and have the huge new stadium, depending on who they play they have less fans than the other team when at home, old school teams like the giants, packers etc take over the LA stadium and its because they cant control who the resales go to

back to football again from my experience la liga has really poor away fan numbers, bundesliga is pretty similar to the PL

edit - on the selling out, they have to in the NFL, they have a black out rule where if you dont sell something like 95% of your tickets then the local area cant show the game on TV, id love that in the PL, every game is on live at 3pm on a saturday but if the club dont sell out then sky have to take it off, challenge the club to sell tickets at a price that fills the ground

Edited by villa4europe

Just now, villa4europe said:

from my experience with watching the lakers and chargers they have a huge ticket resale market, i didnt buy my ticket from the lakers i bought it from a resale partner and as such the prices fluctuate in a mental way, i could have watched the clippers play for $8 a ticket or watch the lakers play lebrons cavs for $200, the chargers have the problem that they're new in LA and have the huge new stadium, depending on who they play they have less fans than the other team when at home, old school teams like the giants, packers etc take over the LA stadium and its because they cant control who the resales go to

back to football again from my experience la liga has really poor away fan numbers, bundesliga is pretty similar to the PL

Yeah La Liga is terrible in that regard. Even the Madrid derby is pants.

The Seville derby is ace thou, really want to go see that some day.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

id love that in the PL, every game is on live at 3pm on a saturday but if the club dont sell out then sky have to take it off, challenge the club to sell tickets at a price that fills the ground

There can't be many PL games that aren't selling out already can there?

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

i think its fairly well documented that American sports supporter chants are a bit.....basic.

I have seen a few vids of Americans watching/listening to English football noise and chants, and being quite surprised in relation to ...... "we dont do anything like that here".

I could be wrong tho ofc.

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There can't be many PL games that aren't selling out already can there?

I think most do

But would they if every game was on TV? That's the NFLs answer to it, obviously easier to do because what they class as local is still a large area

I thought the main reason against the 3pm games being on TV was the (mis) belief that attendances would drop not only for that game but for other games in the area, like wolves vs villa being on TV would negatively impact the attendances at Telford, Stourbridge, kiddy etc

Personally I think it's out dated and they need to change it

• Like 1

Â