January transfer window 2018

Jareth

56 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

So...........all that fuss about a new contract for RHM, and he is not considered good enough as back up in the Championship.

I don't think anyone on here wanting a striker is expecting them to come in to be backup. We want to push on and be promoted this season—someone like Ulloa would have been ideal. Who knows if Hogan's last two games were fluke or whether he's genuinely turned a corner. Only time will tell. For me, I worry how little he affects play even though he's been scoring (and admittedly winning us games). Anyway, that still leaves us with just Hogan and Davies. 

We need another striker. It's obvious. It's obvious RHM, who has never made any impact and is still very young is not what we're talking about.  

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

So...........all that fuss about a new contract for RHM, and he is not considered good enough as back up in the Championship.

I don't think the issue is that he's not considered good enough as back up. It's more that if Hogan was to get injured (not the most unlikely scenario given his history!) then we would again be down to having either RHM or Davis leading our line in the push for promotion.

I'd actually like to see RHM get more minutes from the bench as he's looked lively in his small cameos this year. However, I still agree we need another striker who could genuinely step in and lead the line if Hogan was to suffer another injury or loss of form.

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

I wouldn't give him a new contract and don't think he is good enough for us as even a backup striker.

He might be good enough for another team in this league but I don't think he is good enough for us anymore, I may be wrong?

Hopefully after this weekend we will have some indication regarding his future and what/where it will be.

2 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Not getting another striker in this window could come back to bite Bruce on the bum if Hogan suffers another one of his regular injuries and it costs us promotion.

Which is exactly the reason why Bruce is trying to get another striker in - if he cannot do so it will because the other club won’t do the loan  deal not because Bruce  doesn’t want a striker.

18 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Quite different players though.  Wells is only 5' 7".

True they are that.

We don't want to sign anyone for the sake of it NV, but it is getting a proven striker at this level is looking difficult especially when there are not that many available to loan who fit the bill either.

It certainly makes the McCormack talks a little more interesting.

Another striker would be nice but I don't think it is crucial to us getting promoted.

We have played 28 games this season and at no stage, aside from maybe the first 3 or 4 games, have we had anymore more than two striking options. Kodjia has been out for 90% of the season and even when he was available wasn't match fit. Gabby has been out since August, RHM only just returned and Hogan until the last month was either injured or out of sorts. Davis has been the one constant.

Despite all of the above goals haven't be hard to come by. The system we play with the two wide forwards and an attacking mid in just behind a lone striker means goals have been spread around and we haven't become reliant on one player to score. We could have 6 first team strikers but the system that suits this squad overall would still be the one we play now with one striker. It gets the best out of Grealish, Hourihane, Snodgrass and Adomah.

If we can't bring in the right player and have to go with what we have then think in Hogan, Davis and RHM we have enough.

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why are people turning their big noses up at Nakhi Wells? I would rather we sign him than no striker. He can score goals in this league. 

Yes I would take him if no further option. but he is different type of striker to ulloa 

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Another striker would be nice but I don't think it is crucial to us getting promoted.

We have played 28 games this season and at no stage, aside from maybe the first 3 or 4 games, have we had anymore more than two striking options. Kodjia has been out for 90% of the season and even when he was available wasn't match fit. Gabby has been out since August, RHM only just returned and Hogan until the last month was either injured or out of sorts. Davis has been the one constant.

Despite all of the above goals haven't be hard to come by. The system we play with the two wide forwards and an attacking mid in just behind a lone striker means goals have been spread around and we haven't become reliant on one player to score. We could have 6 first team strikers but the system that suits this squad overall would still be the one we play now with one striker. It gets the best out of Grealish, Hourihane, Snodgrass and Adomah.

If we can't bring in the right player and have to go with what we have then think in Hogan, Davis and RHM we have enough.

It's a dangerous roll of the dice if you ask me but at the same time it is a scenario that could very well happen.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes I would take him if no further option. but he is different type of striker to ulloa 

Yes he is but Ulloa ain't happening. We all need to accept that and move on with our lives. 

Plus you never know. Might still be a Bruce bonus. 

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yes he is but Ulloa ain't happening. We all need to accept that and move on with our lives. 

Plus you never know. Might still be a Bruce bonus. 

Ulloa was never going to happen until the end of the window - that’s been pretty obvious to all so until then we will wait and see . 

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Ulloa was never going to happen until the end of the window - that’s been pretty obvious to all so until then we will wait and see . 

Yep. If it's as cut and dryed as some would have us believe then we won't even be chasing him. If we are there is a chance!

• Like 1