Crypto currency

PieFacE

Does anyone know of a good site that provides an introduction to crypto currencies? Very tempted to get into this but not sure how/where to start. I can see a few guides on Google but would appreciate a recommendation if anyone has one.

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Does anyone know of a good site that provides an introduction to crypto currencies? Very tempted to get into this but not sure how/where to start. I can see a few guides on Google but would appreciate a recommendation if anyone has one.

Hey fella, I’d go back a few pages would even suggest to start from the very begining but @PieFacE seems to be the man to give you some pointers but it would mostly be what has been written pages before....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I haven't read the guides but this bloke seems honest.  

• Like 1

Thanks. I'd already read the last dozen or so pages of this thread and one or two online guides but I'll take a look at Peter McCormack.

The second half of the bonus doesn't come through for a few weeks so I've a bit of time to try and figure stuff out. 

I am curious why you all seem to be keen on BPT on the last page? I can see it has fallen in price down to about $0.26 and it looks like another currency trading platform which supposedly is more user friendly for beginners? Are you expecting it to grow because it's decentralised?

Are there any particular crypto forums (other than this one) or news sites that anyone would recommend?

I like BPT though I don't own any, it's something i'd like to buy into. Exchange coins tend to do well. Look at;

BNB (Binance's coin) https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/binance-coin/ - ~Peaked at $25

KCS (Kucoin's coin) https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/kucoin-shares/ - Peaked at $20

BPT (Blockport's coin) https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/blockport/ - Peak is around $0.90, though the project is new and still hasn't come out of BETA. When it does and becomes and active exchange, I imagine it may have a similar peak ;) 

Totally different project, but probably my favourite project at the minute, GUTS/GET, has just put  out an interesting blog here;

https://blog.guts.tickets/having-the-guts-to-go-abroad-our-international-ambitions-f2e3b6b8a6bb

One bit in particular caught my eye...

When festival? When Tomorrowland? When Asia marketing? When marketing? When [placeholder]?

What we are up to:
We are collaborating with several large crypto projects that actually add direct value to our product(selling honest tickets). As always we will only announce these partnerships as soon as we can concretely point out when, how and why we are using their tech, token or platform and how this will increase the amount of tickets transferred over the GET Protocol. No empty shells will be fired.
Expanding in Europe, Asia and North-America is something that has been on our radar for 2 years. Remember GUTS Tickets has venture investors, these guys are all about replication as soon as we are able to prove a mature concept. They have been laying pipes for almost two years now, so yeah that will happen when we are done improving. Yes we will use the GET Protocol. We are your blockchain squad after all. If I need to sign a transaction from an address created in early 2012 hit me up, your bro can show how nerd-cool he is anytime of the day.
We realized soon enough that expanding in Asia is perfect as there are several extremely crypto friendly hubs in that region. We are in contact with several ticketing companies that are interested in our smart ticketing API. In fact I’ll be off to Asia in a few weeks to shake some hands and close some deals.
E-sports is an area we believe our identity bound tickets are perfect for, as it is a strongly growing industry with user interaction at its core. We have several strong leads and are planning our first steps in this area. Make sure to follow us on all channels and you won’t miss out on these updates.
EURO2020. needisaymore?
And many, many more. But I’ll keep it at this.

My target is now to accumulate 100k GET over the rest of this year :D 

I saw a few like GETS and the youtube alternative one (can't remember the name) and could understand why people might like them as it is relatable but I don't know enough about crypto yet to understand the excitement i had seen BPT. It just looked like a trading platform and I assume that's a hard market to crack as established entities like coinbase have it sewn up.

There aren't actually that many "good" exchanges really. Bittrex and Binance are kinda the holy grail. But it's reported that to get a coin listed on Binance, it costs $5million currently. Which is bonkers.

Decent video here about crypto for people just entering the space. Mike Novagratz is an old Wall Street guy who moved into Crypto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozrRY2NENU

For some reason I can't embed that video. 

• Like 1

I've spent the day watching videos and reading up and now I'm signed up to coinbase and looking at a number of different options, excited to join you guys in trading and see if I can make a success of this. If I don't, so be it, I'm not planning on putting in anything I can't afford to lose.

I'm leaning towards a ledger nano S wallet (partly as it allows ripple) but curious if you all prefer the trezor or if you've bought both or something else? 

• Like 1

Ledger is better than Trezor imo.

Trezor has vulnerabilities. 

Such as this;

https://blog.adafruit.com/2018/06/07/extracting-the-private-key-from-a-trezor-bitcoin-wallet-with-a-70-oscilloscope/

There were some discussions on reddit whether TREZOR, a hardware wallet for securely storing Bitcoins, can be attacked using side channels like power fluctuations, electromagnetic radiations or similar. Such an attack would allow for retrieving the private key that gives access to the Bitcoins stored on the TREZOR. Usually the discussions of side-channel attacks mention the code that signs a Bitcoin transaction. To sign a transaction on the TREZOR, you need to enter the secret PIN first. So this is not useful in the scenario where the attacker has physical access to the device but does not know the PIN.

Although the above is now fixed. I've read of others too. 

Edited by PieFacE

13 hours ago, Genie said:

Huge slides today, did some big exchange get hacked and robbed?

Looks like it:

There has been a sharp drop in the price of bitcoin and other virtual currencies after South Korean cryptocurrency exchange Coinrail was hacked over the weekend.

A tweet from Coinrail confirming the cyber-attack sent the price of bitcoin tumbling 10% on Sunday to two-month lows.

The world’s best-known cryptocurrency lost $500 (£372) in an hour, dropping to $6,627 on the Luxembourg exchange Bitstamp, while most other digital currencies also recorded large losses.

The latest attack highlights the lack of security and weak regulation of global cryptocurrency markets.

Coinrail later said in a statement on its website that its system was hit by “cyber intrusion” on Sunday, causing a loss for about 30% of the coins traded on the exchange. It did not quantify the value, but local news outlet Yonhap News estimated that about 40 billion won (£27.8m) worth of virtual coins was stolen.

Coinrail said “70% of total coin and token reserves have been confirmed to be safely stored and moved to a cold wallet [not connected to the internet]. Two-thirds of stolen cryptocurrencies were withdrawn or frozen in partnership with related exchanges and coin companies. For the rest, we are looking into it with an investigative agency, related exchanges and coin developers.”

... more on link

• Thanks 1

Blood everywhere.

Looking for good entry points for BPT and GET now.

Managed to pick up 10k BPT at 2800 sats.  Waiting to see if it goes lower and will then edge down.

Ark are releasing V2 onto Devnet this week, will hopefully sell some on a pump and diversify into GET/BPT more.

Some nice increases in the major coins, they're up by 5 to 9% at the minute.

I've popped my cherry and have my first regret that I didn't buy any yesterday when I had the chance.

One day bounce or start of a continued rise?

7 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Some nice increases in the major coins, they're up by 5 to 9% at the minute.

I've popped my cherry and have my first regret that I didn't buy any yesterday when I had the chance.

One day bounce or start of a continued rise?

Impossible to say but it’s been plodding up and down 5-10% for months.

Â