The Great Tower Block Fire Tragedy of London

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

1r1j8u.jpg

Good examples. Theresa May was born in Hastings - she now lives in Berkshire (when not in no. 10.) Michael Gove was born in Edinburgh and now lives in London, Bors Johnson was born in New York and now lives in Islington. Do you see what I'm saying here? Good examples though mate, applause. All the three people above moved to further their career, which is generally a good idea once you're 18.

This thread isn't about how a lot of people hate the tory party. (myself included) - so get back on topic. 

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

This mantra really boils my piss. BUILDING MORE HOUSES IS NOT, NOT, NOT 'THE ANSWER'. The only thing it's good for is the building industry. 

It's happening all around where I live. Huge new estates going up on green belt land. Are they 'affordable, first time buyer' homes? Are they ****. They're 4 and 5 bedroom jobs, costing 3, 4, 5 hundred grand. There are some smaller ones, but they are still totally unaffordable by young people - they are getting bought up by buy-to-let landlords, to turn themselves a nice little profit. 

And the roads around here are very close to gridlock (not just at rush hour, all **** ing day). The new estates are throwing hundreds more cars into the chaos on a daily basis. It's madness. 

Both my daughters and their partners want to buy. They all have decent jobs, but not money enough to save a deposit, and zero chance of getting a mortgage. There are plenty of available houses that they'd buy, but they're in a poverty trap. 

Stop this crap about building houses, and start addressing the real problems - low paid jobs (don't get me started on zero hours contract), banks who will only lend to the already rich, lack of investment in existing properties, not enough use of brown field sites, no social housing. The system is broken, and it's about time we kicked out the bastards responsible and get our priorities right. 

Agreed - the problem isn't the landlords who buy the properties because the system is broken. It's the system that encourages this sort of thing that needs adjusting. Though I don't think taking the houses off the people that bought them legally is the answer. Flipping it the total other way wouldn't be good for anyone either. Someone who has done something well within the confines of the law is not at fault here, but rather the law allowing this thing to happen.

9 hours ago, peterms said:

Wow, that's a bit weird.

You really value the property rights of mafiosi, taxdodgers, kleptos, corrupt politicians from corrupt regimes above the immediate need for housing for bereaved local families?

Seriously?

You do know who owns this stuff, don't you?

Can you please list every individual that owns these properties and also link how each is as you describe in your second paragraph?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Ask yes, but you cannot force them.

Well the law needs to be changed so you can. its not acceptable that we have such a huge housing problem and these lie empty. I have no problem with affluent people, however they made their money but I do have a problem of so many people being homeless or being shifted to other parts of the country while posh houses in London lie empty. 

Edited by PaulC

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This mantra really boils my piss. BUILDING MORE HOUSES IS NOT, NOT, NOT 'THE ANSWER'. The only thing it's good for is the building industry. 

It's happening all around where I live. Huge new estates going up on green belt land. Are they 'affordable, first time buyer' homes? Are they ****. They're 4 and 5 bedroom jobs, costing 3, 4, 5 hundred grand. There are some smaller ones, but they are still totally unaffordable by young people - they are getting bought up by buy-to-let landlords, to turn themselves a nice little profit. 

And the roads around here are very close to gridlock (not just at rush hour, all **** ing day). The new estates are throwing hundreds more cars into the chaos on a daily basis. It's madness. 

Both my daughters and their partners want to buy. They all have decent jobs, but not money enough to save a deposit, and zero chance of getting a mortgage. There are plenty of available houses that they'd buy, but they're in a poverty trap. 

Stop this crap about building houses, and start addressing the real problems - low paid jobs (don't get me started on zero hours contract), banks who will only lend to the already rich, lack of investment in existing properties, not enough use of brown field sites, no social housing. The system is broken, and it's about time we kicked out the bastards responsible and got our priorities right. 

Of course more houses are needed. Population in 10-20-30 years time?  I see your point regarding new builds being expensive, even little shitty two beds. I'm in the same boat regarding a mortgage, but luckily we are in council and can buy for half price. Small country, large population of course it's going to create problems. More houses are needed, it's not my fault the government are not sorting your valid points out. 

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Well the law needs to be changed so you can. its not acceptable that we have such a huge housing problem and these lie empty. I have no problem with affluent people, however they made their money but I do have a problem of so many people being homeless or being shifted to other parts of the country while posh houses in London lie empty. 

If law changes fair enough. 

9 hours ago, Awol said:
9 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

But its ok for the powerful, elite and wealthy to side step and flaunt all these laws all the bloody time? Or is it only the working class that must obey?

Give me an example mate and let's talk about it. 

At a very basic level the Government is duty bound (possibly by law?) to ensure the health, housing and safety of all it's population,  no matter how poor or wealthy.  The encasing of a tower block in flammable elements and deadly elements must have been signed off and was well within the law at this point who know for sure but if the fire proof version was the cheapest option this thread would not exist for sure.  Simple as that really.  

I am not convinced this thread would exist either if these basic and in my opinion, top of the list items are given the time and money needed and required for continual & ongoing improvement,  which as far as I know is what the ultimate aim is at a fundamental level for what is a service delivered to the population.

It seems to me its always the poor that gets trodden on. People living in in sub standard bedsits where landlords are allowed to get away with charging extortionate rent, and not providing even the basic living standards, and if the tenant complains they will be kicked out. Things have to change. In a wealthy country like ours it should not be like this. Part of me thinks this might have been a sinister ploy by some rich property developers to get rid of the "scum" from this affluent area. 

Edited by PaulC

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It seems to me its always the poor that gets trodden on. People living in in sub standard bedsits where landlords are allowed to get away with charging extortionate rent, and not providing even the basic living standards, and if the tenant complains they will be kicked out. Things have to change. In a wealthy country like ours it should not be like this. Part of me thinks this might have been a sinister ploy by some rich property developers to get rid of the "scum" from this affluent area. 

I agree. I think the gap between rich and poor should be shortened. The government needs to do more to make a basic standard more liveable. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

I agree. I think the gap between rich and poor should be shortened. The government needs to do more to make a basic standard more liveable. 

I am pleased we agree on something. I'm happy now Rugeley Villa :)

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Vote Labour. 

• Like 2

Just now, mjmooney said:

Vote Labour. 

I agree with a lot of what labour are trying to do but at the moment I don't think they are quite ready to run the country. They will get in though. I'm normally conservative but I could not bring myself to vote for them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I am pleased we agree on something. I'm happy now Rugeley Villa :)

Mate I'm not pro rich, I just don't agree with forcing houses off people. I certainly feel more for the poor than I do the rich.

• Like 2

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Mate I'm not pro rich, I just don't agree with forcing houses off people. I certainly feel more for the poor than I do the rich.

neither am I really but I think a compromise could be reached on empty properties being letted out. If the owners had a heart they would offer this at least on a short term basis until the council can find them suitable replacement accomodation 

Â