The Great Tower Block Fire Tragedy of London

TrentVilla

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Nope I still think Morgan is a knob but still its good to see someone putting the government in their place for their shoddy handling of this incident. 

I'm not sure that Morgan did tbh , he just talked over the top a lot demanding answers to show he's a man of the people  (yeah right) .. Gove aided him as he clearly wanted to say people should stop using this for political gain but for whatever reason couldn't bring himself to say the words  ,which resulted in him looking indecisive

43 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

so all Piers Morgan has to do to be forgiven for being one of the biggest cocks on the planet is some Tory bashing ... who'd have thought it

More an example that despite my long held views I'm able to apportion credit where it's due.  He also bashed Tommy Robinson this morning apparently, which (despite the debatable decision to have him on the show in the first place) would also be worthy of praise.

Not all bad people only do bad things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

so all Piers Morgan has to do to be forgiven for being one of the biggest cocks on the planet is some Tory bashing ... who'd have thought it

Still acted like a prat, He rants and raves and pretends he cares when he lives in his multi million-pound mansion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm not sure that Morgan did tbh , he just talked over the top a lot demanding answers to show he's a man of the people  (yeah right) .. Gove aided him as he clearly wanted to say people should stop using this for political gain but for whatever reason couldn't bring himself to say the words  ,which resulted in him looking indecisive

The thing is Tone I don't think many people have really put that much pressure Like piers did, just really the local residents, families. Piers raised a lot of good points in that interview. He wouldn't allow Gove to weasel out of answering the questions. 

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Still acted like a prat, He rants and raves and pretends he cares when he lives in his multi million-pound mansion. 

TBH I am not sure what his property has to do with this? I am sure there are a lot of wealthy people that have donated towards the cause. Not every rich person is bad :) 

• Like 2

Just now, Demitri_C said:

TBH I am not sure what his property has to do with this? I am sure there are a lot of wealthy people that have donated towards the cause. Not every rich person is bad :) 

I'm sure there are and maybe I am being too cynical but I do not believe Piers Morgan is genuine. 

14 hours ago, snowychap said:

All great points and it's been in discussion for the last 20 years. Labour and Conservatives should hang their heads in shame.

The Tenancy Management Organisation also has two councillors on it, one Labour, one Conservative.  Khan has known about his for many years and as Mayor should take some responsibility considering his powers in the city and the way planning is delivered in London.

That's a big one actually, local government has not taken enough criticism when they can very easily require sprinklers as part of a planning condition....all over London....if it was a priority! 

It doesn't excuse central government from ignoring this problem, especially in shared accommodation, though as I mentioned previously cost is a problem as we're seeing in Wales and perhaps some of those costs will be people lives. Some sprinkler systems don't work properly (or at all) and there has been no investment to make sure water pressure is adequate. In part that's because regulation was rushed through without making sure the infrastructure was in place. That's not inherently bad but it's pretty negligent. 

27 minutes ago, PaulC said:

What's wrong with someone living in the best house they can afford?

30 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I wasn't aware you couldn't be wealthy and care about those who aren't. 

20 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Piers Morgan famously got routed by Ben Shapiro across the pond, when Shapiro accused him of bullying his political opponents by standing on the graves of the children killed in Sandy Hook.

Morgan did a big 'how dare' you thing but had to cancel the appearance of an injured kid in a wheelchair, which was scheduled after the break, because it prove the point too perfectly.

There is certainly an audience for the sort of hysterical shtick shown in the video but it is no wonder the country's hooked on pills to keep them calm.

• Like 1

That was Piers still being a bit of a dick TBH.  It's just that this time the public happen to be on his side.  He's still an ignorant rabble rouser with very little idea how to treat people.  Gove wasn't even being difficult or evasive there, and I'm no Gove fan.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

That was Piers still being a bit of a dick TBH.  It's just that this time the public happen to be on his side.  He's still an ignorant rabble rouser with very little idea how to treat people.  Gove wasn't even being difficult or evasive there, and I'm no Gove fan.

Gove wasn't answering the questions, I felt Piers was spot on and I am not a fan of his at all 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Gove wasn't answering the questions, I felt Piers was spot on and I am not a fan of his at all 

You achieve very little by interviewing someone in that manner.  Even if it seems fun to watch him stick it to the man.  It's ineffectual.  He got in his own way in what should have been an open-goal interview.  Gove told him explicitly that the fire services will get everything they need (whether they will or not is another thing, but the question was answered).  He told him the legality of the cladding would definitively come out in the criminal investigation (and by that we know there will be one).  Piers got all the answers that Gove could reasonably give him at this point in time less than a week after the fire, and yet Piers still came across as a bit of a f**king shitnozzle.

• Like 2

Just now, BOF said:

You achieve very little by interviewing someone in that manner.  Even if it seems fun to watch him stick it to the man.  It's ineffectual.  He got in his own way in what should have been an open-goal interview.  Gove told him explicitly that the fire services will get everything they need (whether they will or not is another thing, but the question was answered).  He told him the legality of the cladding would definitively come out in the criminal investigation (and by that we know there will be one).  Piers got all the answers that Gove could reasonably give him at this point in time less than a week after the fire, and yet Piers still came across as a bit of a f**king shitnozzle.

Thats the thing though Bri, he said they will get whatever they need without specifically saying what this is. Gove does his best to avoid answering the question. I agree with your point about the interrupting with the line of question it is annoying

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

he said they will get whatever they need without specifically saying what this is.

Do you expect Gove to give an itinerary of everything?  The amount of new fire brigades?  The amount of new firemen?  Less than a week after the fire.  Short of literally giving Piers the numbers to that level, all he could say is they'll get what they need.  Anything else, IMO, is an unreasonable expectation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I wasn't aware you couldn't be wealthy and care about those who aren't. 

you've obviously not read every single post made against "Tories" on VT :P

40 minutes ago, BOF said:

100% spot on!

50 minutes ago, BOF said:

Do you expect Gove to give an itinerary of everything?  The amount of new fire brigades?  The amount of new firemen?  Less than a week after the fire.  Short of literally giving Piers the numbers to that level, all he could say is they'll get what they need.  Anything else, IMO, is an unreasonable expectation.

Give the people something reassurance that this kind of thing will never happen again. He failed miserably. I certainly was not reassured 

Â