Bomb attack on Dortmund team bus

NurembergVillan

30 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Not even far right. Seems to be a scheme to short shares in Dortmund.

Always didn't add up IMO.

Bloody Capitalists, lock 'em all up! Ban the three piece suit!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I wonder whether the statement from the German federal prosecutor will receive even a tenth of the coverage (on news channels and in newspapers) of the speculation in the immediate aftermath of the actual events.

Racing certainty I'd say.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Not even far right. Seems to be a scheme to short shares in Dortmund.

Always didn't add up IMO.

To say the guy was not the sharpest tool in the box would be an understatement here.  I have a German mate and it seems he was in the Hotel a while ago doing some planning.

He got himself a 80 k loan to short on Dortmund,  he then booked himself back into the hotel while the team were there.  He placed the order for the short shares from the hotel as I understand it.  Only 2 small devices went off,  the main one which would have killed 1 or more players failed to go off.  The ISIS stuff they found had been google translated from language arabic or similar to German,  what could go wrong with that ?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

To say the guy was not the sharpest tool in the box would be an understatement here.  I have a German mate and it seems he was in the Hotel a while ago doing some planning.

He got himself a 80 k loan to short on Dortmund,  he then booked himself back into the hotel while the team were there.  He placed the order for the short shares from the hotel as I understand it.  Only 2 small devices went off,  the main one which would have killed 1 or more players failed to go off.  The ISIS stuff they found had been google translated from language arabic or similar to German,  what could go wrong with that ?

Thats crazy. You can imagine he thought it was absolutely fool proof! What an idiot. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Thats crazy. You can imagine he thought it was absolutely fool proof! What an idiot.

Agreed,  it's one of them plans one might have in a dream but reality kills it,  except for this lunatic.

So lucky he messed it up though,  imagine if it had worked ffs.

Is it a complex attack?

The instructions to make explosives are infamously readily available on the net and if nobody is looking for you, acquiring the necessary materials aren't going to flag you necessarily. Then its a case of hoping it works (and he made a mistake there given the total of damage he achieved) and being in the right place at the right time, which given his scheme he needed to know anyway. And then the attempt to mislead was so basic even a bunch of idiots on the net went 'hang on a minute...'. And the plot itself is so dumb we're not talking about a mastermind here. You'd shake your head with that plot in a straight to DVD action film.

I think complex attack is over egging it a little.

33 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's a piece of piss by all accounts...

google-daily.jpeg

Granted, you shouldn't need a manual to learn how to run someone over in a car.

But making explosives is not simple, building bombs is not simple, detonating them remotely is not simple and neither is hitting a moving target (I still don't know if this was the case). 

All in all it's not quite the piece of piss you might think it to be.

Edited by Awol

12 minutes ago, Awol said:

Granted, you shouldn't need a manual to learn how to run someone over in a car.

But making explosives is not simple, building bombs is not simple, detonating them remotely is not simple and neither is hitting a moving target (I still don't know if this was the case). 

All in all it's not quite the piece of piss you might think it to be.

Sorry - I was being tongue in cheek with my response!  For future reference, assume that if I'm quoting the Mail, Express or Sun it's with a huge dose of cynicism and distrust!

• Like 2

Free market terrorism. In essence, this is a Friedman wet dream - the privatisation of the idea that you can blow stuff up and then make money off the results through the financial markets - in strict free market rules, this should be encouraged, but I would imagine that this is one of those occasions where nation states will interfere with the markets in order to maintain their monopoly; sad times for anyone who believes in true freedom.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

in strict free market rules, this should be encouraged, but I would imagine that this is one of those occasions where nation states will interfere with the markets in order to maintain their monopoly; sad times for anyone who believes in true freedom.

Yes if you were to scale it up to a national level, he would have hired one of his mates to then fix the bus, thus profiting twice.

• Like 1

An awful lot of people without chemistry degrees (to say the least) seem to be able to make bombs. Ted Kazinsky made them in a shed with basic tools and equipment (admittedly not remote detonated but lethal devices nonetheless, even when they partly failed). Some kids in a school recently made an explosive by accident (my A Level chemistry course also had an experiment that, if I recall correctly, you could make a very potent explosive if you did one step very slightly wrong). Given this, and the availability of instructions, if you can get the stuff and follow those instructions, it's not that difficult. You aren't making industrial military grade stuff, but it doesn't need to be, and you'll have duds etc, but again it doesn't really matter if you make enough different devices.

This is just an idiot trying make a quick buck by thinking he's in an action movie reality. Nothing more sinister.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

An awful lot of people without chemistry degrees (to say the least) seem to be able to make bombs. Ted Kazinsky made them in a shed with basic tools and equipment (admittedly not remote detonated but lethal devices nonetheless, even when they partly failed). Some kids in a school recently made an explosive by accident (my A Level chemistry course also had an experiment that, if I recall correctly, you could make a very potent explosive if you did one step very slightly wrong). Given this, and the availability of instructions, if you can get the stuff and follow those instructions, it's not that difficult. You aren't making industrial military grade stuff, but it doesn't need to be, and you'll have duds etc, but again it doesn't really matter if you make enough different devices.

This is just an idiot trying make a quick buck by thinking he's in an action movie reality. Nothing more sinister.

There's also the notorious Mythbusters episode they decided not to air, because they successfully made some humongous explosives using kitchen chemicals.

• Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

There's also the notorious Mythbusters episode they decided not to air, because they successfully made some humongous explosives using kitchen chemicals.

Exactly. There's loads of episodes where they hid the ingredients to things because they made explosives with commonly available chemicals. It's not something particularly difficult if you're inclined to want to learn how to do it.

Standard bog cleaner product + bleach = chlorine gas

i think from what my missus learnt during her forensic science degree she could make several drugs using household products too

Edited by villa4europe

Â