Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

7 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Well, in that case we'll also have to discount the leaks about Ukraine's ammo situation and counter offensive - as it appears to be from the same guy..

Though I agree, some of it seems too good to be true. Maybe a UA\USA planned disinfo campaign before the counter attack.

Surely they would not have tipped off how far they had penetrated the Russians command structure if this was planned?

The more I read about it the more it seems like another US security blunder. 

• Like 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

20 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Seems a bit convoluted and long winded if the US was trying to leak it deliberately. 

Without wanting to appear all tin foil hatty, isn't that exactly how you'd do it?

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Without wanting to appear all tin foil hatty, isn't that exactly how you'd do it?

He has been leaking these documents to his friends for a year now. It’s only recently that it got out to the wider public but could have happened at any point in that time. If it was planned the US government has had no control over the timing. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why would Putin having Chemo be an opportunity for the generals? I doubt he’s going to take a few weeks off work like a normal person.

Chemo can completely wipe you out for days on end and the longer the chemo regime goes on the longer the recovery can be after each session.

It was certainly that way with the missus and no amount of steroids could fix the effects

• Like 3

I suppose it could be conceivable that the US has used the leak to their advantage and thrown some fake stuff out there to add to what was leaked? 

If what is described in the WP article is true though then they have had a security breach for a long while. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

He has been leaking these documents to his friends for a year now. It’s only recently that it got out to the wider public but could have happened at any point in that time. If it was planned the US government has had no control over the timing. 

I've not read that much on the origins of the leaks tbh but what has been leaked seems a little fantastical in places, some of it has the ring of truth, some of it seems wild.

It could be that they discovered the source of the leak ages ago and decided to take advantage of it by feeding false information, who knows for sure. 

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Surely they would not have tipped off how far they had penetrated the Russians command structure if this was planned?

There is no guarantee that they have, it's bits like that that makes me think it is disinfo

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

Chemo can completely wipe you out for days on end and the longer the chemo regime goes on the longer the recovery can be after each session.

It was certainly that way with the missus and no amount of steroids could fix the effects

100% agree, it can be horrible. My mum went through it too. Saying all that I’m not sure what opportunity it gives the generals to “throw” the war but the Americans seem to think it’s a possibility.

Maybe the US expect Putin to delegate his authority to someone else during his treatment and they’ll deliberately cause a failure.

Edited by Genie

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Saying all that I’m not sure what opportunity it gives the generals to “throw” the war but the Americans seem to think it’s a possibility.

Well yes, precisely my main point. That's why it seems like disinfo put out there to increase Putin's suspicions of his military. As incompetent as the Russian military seems at times, I don't think they are capable of throwing the war in 3 or 4 days

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The leaks also comment on Israel, throwing Mossad under the bus and give Netanyahu a chance to act the victim. A bunch of stuff has nothing to do with Ukraine. 

Netanyahu isn't really popular with the old school politicians in the US though, I see no reason why they should save him. He's too much like Trump, and Trump is absolutely despised in Washington\Langley, apart from a few gun-loving nutters.

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Netanyahu isn't really popular with the old school politicians in the US though, I see no reason why they should save him. He's too much like Trump, and Trump is absolutely despised in Washington\Langley, apart from a few gun-loving nutters.

Exactly. I don’t think they would have planned that to be leaked if this whole thing was orchestrated to help Ukraine. 

As I said though, they might have taken the opportunity to try and turn a bad situation to their advantage by throwing out some misinformation into the mix? 

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Best bet some Western suppliers are quivering in their boots right now.

Fairly sure that tank was captured back in September. The US will have their hands on it for 6 months or so already

Putin is a pathetic man.

A very evil modern day Napoleon whose lust for power and territory is behind tens of thousands of violent deaths and terrible injuries such as hands, arms and legs ripped off in explosions or ampuated. I generally don't hate people, it's not in my nature, but he certainly is one of the exceptions.

Edited by robby b

I assume that moron who leaked the documents on his discord will never see the light of day again. Life with 50 years minimum before parole ??  Ouch....committing treason to impress your virtual friends don't pay...

Bigger question is how does a 21 year old have access to that type of documentation?

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Bigger question is how does a 21 year old have access to that type of documentation?

Common practice in the US forces as I understand it.  It has to be like this I suppose becasue of the command structure although I am not sure of that.

Very young people with very big secrets,  in their defence this happens very rarely and the deterrents are extreme.  In this case it's showing off as oppose to spying.  Big difference in the motivation.

According to a New York Times journo on the radio this morning it took them a few hours to track down his friends on various servers, enough of them were willing to share enough snippets of information for the NYT to start a search of other social media from where it took them 19 minutes to confirm a full name and address and match his mum’s granite kitchen worktops with the granite in some of the photos of some of the documents.

That allowed them to be sat outside his mum’s house waiting to see him get arrested.

If it took 19 minutes for newspapers to find him, he’s **** lucky it wasn’t the Russians.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I assume that moron who leaked the documents on his discord will never see the light of day again. Life with 50 years minimum before parole ??  Ouch....committing treason to impress your virtual friends don't pay...

Supposedly he was in IT so needed a high enough level of clearance to manage the servers. 

If you'd like to see how far Russia is behind NATO when it comes to munitions, have a look at this video. 1 German made smart round (essentially a double barreled arty round) takes out two tanks in one shot. The shell has a container which releases two GPS guided shells to their targets (you can see the canister opening at 0:13.)

It's not like Russian tanks were made to withstand much anyway, but it's better for Ukraine to take them out like this before they can move ahead.

Â