• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

The footage coming out of Ukraine is mad right now.

It's moved on from raw, face to face street fighting in Bakhmut to a more modern mechanised battlefield.

Ukraine has nearly new armour, and the Russians have burned through a lot dross. Which may mean they'll have to commit the quality gear, if things start to slip?

Russian quality is in short supply, and you know the satellites and drones will be looking to intercept in transit.

It's a ballsy move by Ukraine to attack in such strength, but it's being forced on them.

Already attempting to move quickly is hazardous because of mines. You've seen the landscape, the tree lines that provide cover on the approaches to the front are lethal.

A Winter scale down of combat likely means more mines go down?

Another potential issue over Winter could be a fresh Russian draft?

That's possibly why Putin's hanging out with the North Koreans, they might supply soldier kit he can't source from civilian China?

So Putin could maybe equip his potential new recruits, but how does the recruiting go if Russia's getting a pasting?

3 hours ago, Xann said:

Ukraine has nearly new armour, and the Russians have burned through a lot dross. Which may mean they'll have to commit the quality gear, if things start to slip?

What quality gear? The Wunderwaffe Parade tank, the Armata? I'm not sure there's any quality gear going spare in the Russian arsenal. They still have to be capable of defending heir own borders and quelling any insurrection in their own republics. If Kadyrov is dead then Chechnya could kick off any day now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

What quality gear?

There isn't much, that's the point, but there are still a couple of non conscripted units behind the lines with tanks that shoot straighter, and are better equipped generally.

Also, there's the remaining Russian counter battery radar units. These are a big prize.

Youtube has some crazy action from the last few days that's getting past the censors because it's equipment getting trashed, as opposed to bodies everywhere :( 

Action with Leopards is quite easy to date because we know when they were introduced? They have come up against Russian armour and it's online. They've also come a cropper on what I'm guessing are mines? Not destroyed, but out of action on the roadside.

A bit of an addendum. Totally circumstantial, so ignore away. Also this week there appeared a video of a Zoopark counter battery radar site being utterly annihilated in situ with all its support vehicles. They practised what you might have thought was safe spacing? Nothing survived. The video wasn't great quality and there's a lot of older clips being mixed into the various channels releasing war material, so I moved on. Then a day or two later there was a report that the Russian artillery commanders were concerned about the mismatch between the two sides' ability to locate actively firing units. So then I searched for all the previous Zoopark destruction footage, and I've not stumbled upon the same vid yet. The destruction was so neat, yet total. Almost the exact footprint of the space occupied. Looking out for it to be posted again, the link in my history from the 10th now goes to a video from yesterday. 

Russia's energy infrastructure, in comparison to Ukraine's is an enormous task to defend with S-200-400's. If Ukraine wants to they can attack pretty much anything at will with drones.

Russia has no effective cover for this, and their energy is largely powered by gas plants which are quite easy to knock out. It'll be interesting if Ukraine does a Russia to Russia this winter.

34 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Russia's energy infrastructure, in comparison to Ukraine's is an enormous task to defend with S-200-400's. If Ukraine wants to they can attack pretty much anything at will with drones.

Russia has no effective cover for this, and their energy is largely powered by gas plants which are quite easy to knock out. It'll be interesting if Ukraine does a Russia to Russia this winter.

The more Ukrainian attacks inside Russia the better IMO.

• Like 2

Â