Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Unlike South Africa, Turkey are not signatories to the ICC. 

In fact the Turkish Government is currently under investigation by the ICC for crimes against humanity themselves.

• Like 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Unlike South Africa, Turkey are not signatories to the ICC. 

But they are a NATO member, so that would make life awkward for someone somewhere, Putin, accused of war crimes, on NATO soil and not detained.

Anything is possible, I guess we’ll see if he shows up in person.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

But they are a NATO member, so that would make life awkward for someone somewhere, Putin, accused of war crimes, on NATO soil and not detained.

Anything is possible, I guess we’ll see if he shows up in person.

I'm guessing the meeting will be cancelled tbh if Turkey is going to be ensuring grain ships get through

19 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Tell you what.IMHO Putin needs to be put in his rightful place,sooner rather than later.Look at all the misery and damage he is causing,simply because he is an arsehole.

I agree. He is a bit of a pr!ck!

4 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

I agree. He is a bit of a pr!ck!

The trouble is that this particular prick is causing way tooooo much misery and damage and needs to be streightened out sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

RIP image.jpeg.4737d8530478410effe4fd0e2a3b2034.jpeg

cant speak out against Vladolf

Arrested because of a complaint made by a Wagner Mercenary… conspiracy theories about the Wagner revolt get wilder and wilder.

Looks like Russia can’t decide if the Kerch bridge is safe as they closed it, then reopened it, then closed it again.

Also, another stray cigarette in Crimea as a fuel dump goes boom.

So in order to try to stave off the imminent push at the first proper defensive line just North of Tokmak Russia are launching head first into attacks against fortified towns in Kharkiv and Luhansk with zero to no effect. Meanwhile Ukraine are steadily clawing back kilometer after kilometer in the South. The build up in the counter offensive seems to be getting to a point soon where we'll see the Southern Russian forces start to seriously lack ammunition and supplies like with the Kherson counter offensive as Ukraine has been pounding supply lines deep within Crimea and along the sea corridor for about a month now. Wagner and Russia famously pushed really hard to get Soledar and Bakhmut to try to offset the PR-cluster"#¤#¤ that retreating from Kherson was, now they're trying to get Kup'yansk in order to have something to show when they inevetably lose Berdyansk, Melitopol and Tokmak.

It could be that Russia will have to retreat from Kherson Oblast soon as this group of forces are steadily losing support and still hasn't been able to push out the little bridgehead Ukraine has just West of Oleshki.

In my mind the counter offensive is about to gain pace, all the signs are there.

Edited by magnkarl

Fewer and fewer posts in this thread. A faltering counter offensive. Are “we” (outsiders) starting to lose interest in this stalemate? 

The general in charge of Ukraine's stuttering offensive in the south says Russia has created multi-layered minefields and fortified defensive lines which were making it difficult for military equipment, including tanks and armoured vehicles supplied by the West, to move forward.

link

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Fewer and fewer posts in this thread. A faltering counter offensive. Are “we” (outsiders) starting to lose interest in this stalemate? 

link

It’s difficult to keep the cheery ‘home by Chrtistmas’ narrative going when people start to wonder which Christmas.

I mentioned a while ago that for whatever reason it appears to suit the West to drip just enough supply in to this war to keep it going. It’s what we do, until we lose interest, or change American president. All those months Ukraine was asking for kit the Russians were digging in. If it has come as a surprise to anyone of a military background that would be deeply worrying. So we must have known the cost of delay and decided it was ok. Next, we’ll be told the rainy season is coming.

For clarity, I still believe Ukraine needs to win this, they need that coastline back or we are all in danger of a Russia strutting around declaring it won and China observing we don’t do long term stuff.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s difficult to keep the cheery ‘home by Chrtistmas’ narrative going when people start to wonder which Christmas.

I mentioned a while ago that for whatever reason it appears to suit the West to drip just enough supply in to this war to keep it going. It’s what we do, until we lose interest, or change American president. All those months Ukraine was asking for kit the Russians were digging in. If it has come as a surprise to anyone of a military background that would be deeply worrying. So we must have known the cost of delay and decided it was ok. Next, we’ll be told the rainy season is coming.

For clarity, I still believe Ukraine needs to win this, they need that coastline back or we are all in danger of a Russia strutting around declaring it won and China observing we don’t do long term stuff.

The other thought I have had, in the beginning of the war we (in the West, the good guys?) were very worried about upsetting Russia too much and causing a escalation which would have killed a lot of people. Maybe we were worried they’d have destroyed and entire city with a big bomb. Instead we’ve gone with the softly, softly approach which has killed a lot of people, destroyed several cities but over a longer period of time… and gained little.

• Like 1

It’s not yet clear whether the counter offensive has been a success or not. It’s really still too early to say.

Ukraine had a bit of a failed push right at the start but since then have evolved their strategy to ‘death by a thousand cuts’ to the Russians. In a number of locations they have been picking off Russian artillery and ammunition storages. In others, like Bahkmut for example, they have won a strategic position then sat back and picked off Russian counter attacks at will.

Interestingly the Russian bloggers have been suggesting the Ukrainian offensive is more successful than the Western commentators are. Probably because western analysts are measuring in how much of a map changes colour on any given day while Russian analysts are looking at how much equipment and how many men they are losing compared with Ukraine. 

Russian propaganda and disinformation on social media is relentless. Look at the state if the GOP look at the idiocy of Brexit (no doubt a lot of people won't like me saying it but it suited Russia more than it suited the people of the UK). Russia had thoroughly divided the West over the past decade.

We must, must have a Ukraine win. If Russia wins this one we are all facing a dangerous, dangerous world.

• Like 2

Â