Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

8 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

It’s looking grim in Bakhmut with Russian forces advancing north and south of the city.  
Many are saying that now is the time to withdraw.  Others saying that it will be held to the last man. 

Agreed, then next defensive lines are already erected in Chasiv Yar and Kostiantynivka, Ukraine needs to keep holding until Western tanks\AFV's are on scene, then they should be able to encircle these offensive Russian groups. Any delays in deliveries will cost Ukraine many soldiers so it's time for people to start stepping up, Biden included.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

13 hours ago, villa89 said:

Interesting documentary on Putin on BBC Two at the moment. As expected it just highlights the weakness of the west and EU in particular. Everyone knew for years what Putin was like. 

Problem is if nato got more involved it becomes more a world war which no one wants

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Problem is if nato got more involved it becomes more a world war which no one wants

It doesn't though. Russia aren't a superpower, they aren't even able to dominate Ukraine. NATO would wipe out the Russia army in Ukraine in days and there isn't anything that Russia could do about it. They can't fight back against NATO, it's David vs Goliath. And there's no way China or India or even Iran are going to enter any war against NATO on the Russian side. NATO can just keep the fighting and attack inside the Ukrainian border. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It doesn't though. Russia aren't a superpower, they aren't even able to dominate Ukraine. NATO would wipe out the Russia army in Ukraine in days and there isn't anything that Russia could do about it. They can't fight back against NATO, it's David vs Goliath. And there's no way China or India or even Iran are going to enter any war against NATO on the Russian side. NATO can just keep the fighting and attack inside the Ukrainian border. 

If this scenario happens it becomes a nuclear war whoch no one wins

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If this scenario happens it becomes a nuclear war whoch no one wins

There wouldn't be a nuclear war, hence the reason its called a nuclear deterrent. If Russia nukes anyone, then Russia would cease to exist as a military force within around 4 hours, probably less.

I can't remember who it was, but there was a defence press conference at the White House a few months ago. He said they have privately and clearly communicated to the Kremlin exactly what would happen should there be any sort of nuclear weapon used. 

• Like 2

Will it be WW3?

No.  A World War requires a number of countries to be split into at least 2 powerful military alliances.   Russia might get help from Belarus, Iran and North Korea.  But would they really fancy joining a fight against NATO?  

Will there be an all-out nuclear war?   

Incredibly unlikely.    The worst-case scenario for Russia is that they lose the land they have captured since 2014.   Russia destroying itself because its lost Crimea is as logical as the UK destroying itself because it lost the Channel islands.   

What about battlefield nukes?  

Just as unlikely.   

Firstly, there is no such thing.  Battlefield nukes are just smaller weapons designed to take out small military targets without widespread devastation.   They take out a formation of tanks or a naval base without destroying huge areas.   

Secondly, Ukraine's forces are very close to Russian Forces and Ukraine is very close to Russia and NATO.  Radioactivity doesn't stop at borders.       

Thirdly, NATO would not retaliate with nukes.  They'd just destroy all of Russian's military and infrastructure near Ukraine.  

Lastly,  China would probably join NATO in attacking Russia.   Why risk having a neighbour who has nukes and is willing to use them over a minor loss of land. 

What's the biggest danger of WW3 and Nuclear Armageddon? 

Computer error.  

On 26/9/1983 Stan Petrov saved the world.   He was manning the USSR's early warning system.   He saw the US launch a single nuke at Russia.    He passed it off as an error.   But then he saw another 4 nukes launch.   Had he reported the matter it would have triggered an equal and immediate retaliation.  He decided to wait until he's got confirmation from another source.   It never came.   It was a computer error. 

That's closer than we've ever been.       

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
speeling mishsteaks
  • Like 4

I'm not sure it's any longer possible to apply logic to what Russia do. 

They're so brainwashed and weird I'm beginning to wonder if they actually would prefer armageddon instead of their opinion of losing face. 

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm not sure it's any longer possible to apply logic to what Russia do. 

They're so brainwashed and weird I'm beginning to wonder if they actually would prefer armageddon instead of their opinion of losing face. 

I think that’s how Brexiteer’s feel. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villa89 said:

There's zero chance of a nuclear war in this scenario.

I think your wring your making out as if putins a normal lofical person. Desperate people do dssperate things. If he felt nato was coming for him im sure he would get the nukes out so if he going down he going to cause as much havic as he can before he did.

7 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Will it be WW3?

No.  A World War requires a number of countries to be split into at least 2 powerful military alliances.   Russia might get help from Belarus, Iran and North Korea.  But would they really fancy joining a fight against NATO?  

Will there be an all-out nuclear war?   

Incredibly unlikely.    The worst-case scenario for Russia is that they lose the land they have captured since 2014.   Russia destroying itself because its lost Crimea is as logical as the UK destroying itself because it lost the Channel islands.   

What about battlefield nukes?  

Just as unlikely.   

Firstly, there is no such thing.  Battlefield nukes are just smaller weapons designed to take out small military targets without widespread devastation.   They take out a formation of tanks or a naval base without destroying huge areas.   

Secondly, Ukraine's forces are very close to Russian Forces and Ukraine is very close to Russia and NATO.  Radioactivity doesn't stop at borders.       

Thirdly, NATO would not retaliate with nukes.  They'd just destroy all of Russian's military and infrastructure near Ukraine.  

Lastly,  China would probably join NATO in attacking Russia.   Why risk having a neighbour who has nukes and is willing to use them over a minor loss of land. 

What's the biggest danger of WW3 and Nuclear Armageddon? 

Computer error.  

On 26/9/1983 Stan Petrov saved the world.   He was manning the USSR's early warning system.   He saw the US launch a single nuke at Russia.    He passed it off as an error.   But then he saw another 4 nukes launch.   Had he reported the matter it would have triggered an equal and immediate retaliation.  He decided to wait until he's got confirmation from another source.   It never came.   It was a computer error. 

That's closer than we've ever been.       

I would say there is zero chance if china joining nato and bombing russia. 

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think your wring your making out as if putins a normal lofical person. Desperate people do dssperate things. If he felt nato was coming for him im sure he would get the nukes out so if he going down he going to cause as much havic as he can before he did.

Thank f*** for that Dem's gone all Allo Allo on us again, that feels normal

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I would say there is zero chance if china joining nato and bombing russia. 

China can take over the world if they continue their current trajectory.  If Russia put that at risk, China would act. 

In my lifetime the USSR and China have fought over their border and threatened nukes.  

Â