Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 minute ago, djdabush said:

I mean I'm sure it's happened but there's a very large ex-pat Russian community in Tbilisi now (so much so it's driving up house rental prices) and from what I've seen if you show some anti-war sentiment then you get on ok. 

Yeah that bit was the problem in both instances I read about, they didn't

• Like 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

9 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

NATO expanded.  DONE

Not quite, still needs ratifying by Slovenia (due in parliament end of month), Hungary (FM announced today that they will) and unfortunately Turkey who still appear to be kicking it into the long grass

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not quite, still needs ratifying by Slovenia (due in parliament end of month), Hungary (FM announced today that they will) and unfortunately Turkey who still appear to be kicking it into the long grass

Whilst all of that is correct, Sweden and Finland entered a guarantee defense alliance with the UK and USA until membership was ratified.  Both countries have gone from neutral to aligned with NATO (even without formal membership). 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

He looks weak and out of control tbh.

I don’t think this is staged.

I dunno, he’s obviously feeling shunned by the international community and not being invited to the big shindig yesterday will have riled him more. He no doubt enjoys believing he has the world on tenterhooks.

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I dunno, he’s obviously feeling shunned by the international community and not being invited to the big shindig yesterday will have riled him more. He no doubt enjoys believing he has the world on tenterhooks.

He’s rapidly losing the war, then after some big talking in the media he fails to appear at his own speech. 

The big players in New York are probably having a good giggle now. 

Putin finally got round to his speech today.

Russian President Vladimir Putin is making a national address for the first time since he sent troops into Ukraine in February.

In a recorded clip, he says: "Citizens of Donetsk and Luhansk People's Republics, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia and other areas free from the Nazi regime.

"We will be talking about the steps of protecting our sovereignty, support of the will and desire of our citizens to decide their will themselves." 

He says Western countries are trying to "block" any independence and development.

"In order to force their will in brutal ways to other people. The aim of the West is still weaken and destroy, they are openly saying that."

Mr Putin adds that the West made the Ukrainian people "cannon fodder" as far back as 2014, when the Crimean Peninsula was annexed.

He goes onto say that the "main aim" of "freeing" the people of the Donbas region "remains without change".

Mr Putin adds he "supports" people aiming to hold referendums in Russian-controlled parts of Ukraine.

"We will do all we can to ensure safe conditions for holding referendums," he says.

Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia announced plans for the referendums on Tuesday.

Mr Putin goes on to order a "partial mobilisation" of Russian reserves - saying a decree on this has already been signed.

"I stress it is partial mobilisation. Only those who are in reserve will be conscripted," he says. 

Mr Putin says mobilisation events will begin today.

"I shall stress that Russian citizens called up as part of mobilisation will be given all the benefits of those serving under contract," he says.

In an ominous moment, Mr Putin reminds the West that Russia has modern weapons of destruction, saying: "I am not bluffing."

He accuses the West of engaging in "nuclear blackmail" against Russia - and said he has "lots of weapons to reply".

Sky News

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Putin finally got round to his speech today.

Sky News

The beginning of the end. Give it a week after the kids from Western Russian cities have had some shooting training and are deployed to stop modern weaponry with a spork and cotton uniform to start seeing protests in the bigger cities.

Â