17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

This team will struggle massively in top flight if we go up

But there is nothing especially unusual about that, most promoted teams need a good number of players to do ok.

Whilst I’m as down about recent events as anyone, I still think we have as good a chance of any in positions 3-6 to go up.

Yes we’ve seen some poor stuff, but we are a Championship team, not a Champions League team.

Granted there are a couple of sides producing exceptionally good runs, ( I don’t include Wolves as their method, whether right or wrong, sets them apart from other sides now and historically)...but that’s just it, they are indeed “ exceptional”.

We are still likely to get over 80 Points. Traditionally that’s 3rd-5th. Not what we hoped for, but it’s not like we’ve been utterly useless !

• Like 1

I have this bizarre and unfounded hope that Bruce decided we couldn’t get automatics and wanted us to go into playoffs having lulled opponents into taking us lightly.  Then I wake up and realize the Bruce is just being out strategized by opposition managers, despite a more experienced and more talented roster.  It was a nice fantasy.

If it’s right, we’ll roll over for Cardiff.  We’ll play so bad that TRO might even agree that we need to drop Bruce this summer.

i still kinda hope I’m right just because it means there a plan to get us back where we belong. 

26th is late but should still be early enough so that Jedi and Elmo (and if there is anyone else?) wont be called in for the nations pre WC squad gathering?

12 hours ago, KSV said:

This. Our best 11.. there's not many I would want to be in the premier league. Alot will be in the squad like kodjia snoddy grealish Elmo hourihane. With the exception of Chester who could keep his spot. The rest need upgrading. Plus a new manager. 

Kodija isn't gonna be good enough in the premier league in my opinion. 28 years old, no improvement to come in all likelihood and has never played in the top tier, not even in France! Doubt he is even as good as Jordan Ayew really, let's be honest! ....and Ayew struggled in prem for us and despite getting a few goals for Swansea, he now can't get back into what is generally a poor side.

Snoddy is only on loan....but again, what's he gonna do in the Prem?....certainly wouldn't be paying any money for him. Free transfer only.......Elmo?...christ alive!

Hourihane willl be totally invisible in the premier league, as will Lansbury. Jedinak will need an outboard motor, as will Whelan!

Grealish and probably Chester are the only players that could cut it at the top level in my opinion, but I think Bjarnasson could possibly do a job in the DM role, certainly worth a try.

This squad is 100% relegation fodder next season if we were to go up. We don't have the funds required to get the improvements we would need and would you entrust the money (if we had it) to Bruce/Round anyway, to get the right players in?

Over the last 18 months we have bought an established championship side. We are slow, methodical, predictable and one dimensional. Only when Grealish came back into the side in December did we actually look like we could compete at the top end of the Championship, before that we didn't even look like making the play offs. There is no real 'potential' within our squad, and we don't have a manager that is likely to explore any potential from within the younger ranks.

I don't think remaining in the chumpionship next season would be the end of the world to be honest, but we simply have to get rid of Steve Bruce and start building for the future. Another year down here and involving the likes of O'Hare, Doyle-Hayes, etc etc week in week out might be a good thing in the long run.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Kodija isn't gonna be good enough in the premier league in my opinion. 28 years old, no improvement to come in all likelihood and has never played in the top tier, not even in France! Doubt he is even as good as Jordan Ayew really, let's be honest! ....and Ayew struggled in prem for us and despite getting a few goals for Swansea, he now can't get back into what is generally a poor side.

Snoddy is only on loan....but again, what's he gonna do in the Prem?....certainly wouldn't be paying any money for him. Free transfer only.......Elmo?...christ alive!

Hourihane willl be totally invisible in the premier league, as will Lansbury. Jedinak will need an outboard motor, as will Whelan!

Grealish and probably Chester are the only players that could cut it at the top level in my opinion, but I think Bjarnasson could possibly do a job in the DM role, certainly worth a try.

This squad is 100% relegation fodder next season if we were to go up. We don't have the funds required to get the improvements we would need and would you entrust the money (if we had it) to Bruce/Round anyway, to get the right players in?

Over the last 18 months we have bought an established championship side. We are slow, methodical, predictable and one dimensional. Only when Grealish came back into the side in December did we actually look like we could compete at the top end of the Championship, before that we didn't even look like making the play offs. There is no real 'potential' within our squad, and we don't have a manager that is likely to explore any potential from within the younger ranks.

I don't think remaining in the chumpionship next season would be the end of the world to be honest, but we simply have to get rid of Steve Bruce and start building for the future. Another year down here and involving the likes of O'Hare, Doyle-Hayes, etc etc week in week out might be a good thing in the long run.

I think its abit premature to say the likes of hourihane and kodjia wont be good enough for premier league. The same was said of andre Gray and troy deeney.

Let's see if we even get there! As i have my doubts we will 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I think its abit premature to say the likes of hourihane and kodjia wont be good enough for premier league. The same was said of andre Gray and troy deeney.

Let's see if we even get there! As i have my doubts we will 

Andre Gray - 13 goals in 58 premier league appearances 

Troy Deeney - 28 goals in 98 premier league appearances 

If that's the reference point for level of 'success' then we have no need to worry, Hogan will be equally as bad as that I'm sure give 50-100 Premier League games!

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:21, Zatman said:

This team will struggle massively in top flight if we go up

I agree, but presumably the bulk of this squad wouldn't feature in the Premier League, as we'd likely sign approx. 10 new players?

I've said it before on here, but I feel that relatively speaking, the bottom half of the Premier League is the weakest its been.

Newcastle now a top half team ffs - Gayle their top scorer with 5 is it? You only need to have a couple of mini winning runs against the other dross and you're likely safe.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

On a serious note maybe a few years in this league might mean we one day go up as a team with a future together rather than a bunch of players put together just to get us up. 

This is a very good point. Long term it may be better but it is a big risk and it could go the other way where we end up in this division for the next 10 years.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Andre Gray - 13 goals in 58 premier league appearances 

Troy Deeney - 28 goals in 98 premier league appearances 

If that's the reference point for level of 'success' then we have no need to worry, Hogan will be equally as bad as that I'm sure give 50-100 Premier League games!

18.5m Gray went for 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Should have scored more granted but is still only 26 

26 isn't young in my opinion. Strikers should be at their peak between 26-29. Not saying he is a poor player by any stretch, but he wouldn't be an exciting signing would he?

I think the fact he cost that much money highlights just how exaggerated the transfer market is.....ridiculous really isn't it?...but that's another argument. In respect of that however, surely the authorities need to look again at the FFP levels? Teams can only lose a max of £35m per season in the Premier League....and when players like him are costing £18.5m, what chance has any club got of breaking into that elite 6?

57 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

I think the fact he cost that much money highlights just how exaggerated the transfer market is.....ridiculous really isn't it?...but that's another argument. In respect of that however, surely the authorities need to look again at the FFP levels? Teams can only lose a max of £35m per season in the Premier League....and when players like him are costing £18.5m, what chance has any club got of breaking into that elite 6?

Agreed mate the market is crazy, we know that already when mccormack is going for 12m and hogan is almost going for 15m. 

1 hour ago, ViewFromT2 said:

what chance has any club got of breaking into that elite 6?

Burnley are 5 points off the top 6 and haven't overly invested.

If we get promoted I am confident we will invest well and stabilize, before climbing up over a few years to be the level this club should be.

16 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

If we get promoted I am confident we will invest well and stabilize, before climbing up over a few years to be the level this club should be.

Yes, and interestingly, got a tune out of Westwood and Lowton.

Sean Dyche deserves credit for that alone.

really rate this guy.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, terrytini said:

Whilst I’m as down about recent events as anyone, I still think we have as good a chance of any in positions 3-6 to go up.

Yes we’ve seen some poor stuff, but we are a Championship team, not a Champions League team.

Granted there are a couple of sides producing exceptionally good runs, ( I don’t include Wolves as their method, whether right or wrong, sets them apart from other sides now and historically)...but that’s just it, they are indeed “ exceptional”.

We are still likely to get over 80 Points. Traditionally that’s 3rd-5th. Not what we hoped for, but it’s not like we’ve been utterly useless !

It all depends if we can find some form from somewhere, otherwise playoffs could be in jeopardy.

I think we need another 6 points to be safe.

28 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

But a lot of that 5 point gap is down to Arsenal having their worst season in ages.

Arsenal get their stuff together and I'd imagine that next season the gap to 7th will be +10 points.

Whenever you talk about things like this, I never fail to realise just how remarkable the Leicester title season was - absolutely incredible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

But a lot of that 5 point gap is down to Arsenal having their worst season in ages.

Arsenal get their stuff together and I'd imagine that next season the gap to 7th will be +10 points.

Whenever you talk about things like this, I never fail to realise just how remarkable the Leicester title season was - absolutely incredible.

Just like ours in 1980/ 81 with 14 players....to go on and win the top prize.

That will never be emulated.

I am majorly surprised that feat is not talked about outside Birmingham more.