Formula One - 2017

BOF

22 minutes ago, BOF said:

I hope we haven't heard the end of it.

It is now two days after SV was given the two penalties that were presumably thought over. What do you think should be done now?

2 minutes ago, brommy said:

It is now two days after SV was given the two penalties that were presumably thought over. What do you think should be done now?

Given that his next incident will likely result in a ban anyway, I suppose a strongly worded condemnation from the powers-that-be, given that as you say he has had 2 punishments already.  It's just such terrible behaviour that I feel he has got away with it.

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

Given that his next incident will likely result in a ban anyway, I suppose a strongly worded condemnation from the powers-that-be, given that as you say he has had 2 punishments already.  It's just such terrible behaviour that I feel he has got away with it.

I was surprised by the apparent leniency at the time but I'm not a fan of making decisions based on the reactions of media/social media. It reminds me of Neil Taylor's tackle on Coleman. It deserved the red card and subsequent ban but, after a couple of days of media and social media coverage, apparently Taylor shouldn't ever play football again or should have his own leg broken. I'm surprised if the FIA haven't got set guidelines for rule/conduct infractions. Perhaps they will simply issue a reminder of their rules in relation to similar violations.

35 minutes ago, brommy said:

I was surprised by the apparent leniency at the time but I'm not a fan of making decisions based on the reactions of media/social media. It reminds me of Neil Taylor's tackle on Coleman. It deserved the red card and subsequent ban but, after a couple of days of media and social media coverage, apparently Taylor shouldn't ever play football again or should have his own leg broken. I'm surprised if the FIA haven't got set guidelines for rule/conduct infractions. Perhaps they will simply issue a reminder of their rules in relation to similar violations.

My opinion at the time was not influenced by the reactions.  They only happened to agree with me once I had caught up with them on social media.  A driver deliberately driving into another driver in Formula 1 should get a race ban minimum IMO.

21 minutes ago, BOF said:

My opinion at the time was not influenced by the reactions.  They only happened to agree with me once I had caught up with them on social media.  A driver deliberately driving into another driver in Formula 1 should get a race ban minimum IMO.

I wasn't saying you were influenced and I agree that the penalties do seem lenient, but I am accepting of the decision made at the time which is why I asked what you meant when you wrote 'I hope we haven't heard the end of it'. When an offence is so clearly visible with no further evidence needed and, after consideration, penalties have been issued, I don't think it is correct to add or change the decision, without new evidence of an increased violation.

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Would people still be thinking Vettell had got away with it if Hamilton hadn't had to pit because of his headrest malfunction and had won the race and caught up in the Championship standings?

54 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Would people still be thinking Vettell had got away with it if Hamilton hadn't had to pit because of his headrest malfunction and had won the race and caught up in the Championship standings?

I can only answer for me but yes, he would still have got away with it because completely irrespective of what anyone else does, Vettel intentionally rammed into a fellow driver and didn't get a ban. That's f**ked up. 

And not even in a racing situation - you can't put it down as a racing incident, they were tootling along behind the safety car. It's a rush of blood to the head - the kind of thing you'd expect from a nine year old. There's a reason nine year olds aren't allowed to drive. 

On 27/06/2017 at 13:21, BOF said:

I hope we haven't heard the end of it.

Statement from FIA :

'Following the recent incident at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix in which Sebastian Vettel was involved in a collision with Lewis Hamilton, on Monday 3rd July, the FIA will further examine the causes of the incident in order to evaluate whether further action is necessary,' an FIA spokesperson said.

'A statement regarding the outcome of this process will be made available before the upcoming Austrian Grand Prix.' 

Expect him to be banned for Austria

• Like 1

Well there ya go. There's the strong; or rather the threatening; letter from the powers. People in here know that when comparing Vettel and Hamilton's past behaviour and general attitude towards rules, I would always side with Vettel. But that was completely indefensible.

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If he gets a ban who is the Ferrari reserve driver?

Antonio Giovinazzi is the test driver. He filled in for Wehrlein at Sauber, for the first couple of races this season

30 minutes ago, Jenko#4 said:

Knowing the way the FIA work, watch Hamilton get a some sort of grid penalty as well, for telling Vettel to take it outside the car. Jean Todt (ex-Ferrari) is in charge of the FIA now, isn't he?

Wouldn't be surprised but a grid penalty means nothing to Hamilton. Bar any malfunction/breakdown/accident he would finish on the podium every week even if he started last as the Mercedes is simply too fast. If they were not constantly saving fuel/tyres they would lap every single car bar the ferraris in every race, most of them multiple times

25 minutes ago, Jenko#4 said:

Antonio Giovinazzi is the test driver. He filled in for Wehrlein at Sauber, for the first couple of races this season

Well he could easily take Hamilton out without trying after watching him at the start of this season

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Statement from FIA :

'Following the recent incident at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix in which Sebastian Vettel was involved in a collision with Lewis Hamilton, on Monday 3rd July, the FIA will further examine the causes of the incident in order to evaluate whether further action is necessary,' an FIA spokesperson said.

'A statement regarding the outcome of this process will be made available before the upcoming Austrian Grand Prix.' 

Expect him to be banned for Austria

Doesn't make sense to me. Were the original penalties issued without examining the causes of the incident? It's as if FIA have taken 3 days to say "Oh, we didn't realise it was done on purpose!"

I think vettel will get his points deduced from the Azerbaijan race, the general consensus is that he should have vlbeen black flagged so that will be the retrospective punishment.

At least that's what the punishment should be

Edited by Jimzk5

Vettel to face no further punishment after admitting the charge and saying sorry.

what a ridiculous decision, I look forward to another driver crashing into someone on purpose and saying sorry to get away with it.

no surprises the head of the FIA is former Ferrari boss jean todt.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Vettel to face no further punishment after admitting the charge and saying sorry.

what a ridiculous decision, I look forward to another driver crashing into someone on purpose and saying sorry to get away with it.

Its hard to say what the outcome would have been if it had been Hamilton instead but if one of the backmarker teams such as Sauber or Haas had a driver do that the punishment almost certainly would have been worse.

18 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Im looking at this as the way football look at incidents after they occur. If the ref is believed to have seen it and given punishment for it, that punishment stands, if not then one can be given.

The Stewards obviously saw the incident and gave a (too lenient) punishment for the action.

Â