Formula One - 2017

BOF

On 24/03/2017 at 10:36, AVFCDAN said:

Hamilton was evens for the title last night, currently at 8/13.

Wish I had jumped on this last night.

You'll be pleased to know Hamilton is currently 6/4 with some. A 50% improvement on the odds you wish you'd jumped on.

2 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

on mclaren, Honda are now re-designing the engine again with a new one to be used inside 3 months. 

Is that allowed? I thought they had to submit engine designs before the season and they were locked down.

Pleased to see some competition for Mercedes at the front. What happened with a Bottas when he was closing on Lewis, do Mercedes have an "agreement" that he won't hallenge Lewis for a place? Odd how he reeled him in then lifted off. 

I used to love F1 but it lost me years ago and can't remember the last time I watched a race.

Short of someone strapping Bernie to the back of one of the cars and dragging him around a track I'm not sure what would make me tune in again.

Oh for the days of Mansell and Senna.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I used to love F1 but it lost me years ago and can't remember the last time I watched a race.

Short of someone strapping Bernie to the back of one of the cars and dragging him around a track I'm not sure what would make me tune in again.

Those were the days, F1 has been made safer and safer since those days and as a result has become duller and duller. Too many restrictions and rules now for me, the racing element has become less and less.

Seeing the Mercedes and Ferrari cars coming passed the back markers shows just how big the gap is from front to back of the grid. They were going passed them like Porsche's racing Fiesta's.

16 hours ago, brommy said:

You'll be pleased to know Hamilton is currently 6/4 with some. A 50% improvement on the odds you wish you'd jumped on.

At 6/4 I would still back him to be honest.

If he can keep getting pole he'll win more races than he loses.

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

There's not much they can do really. As has been said before, there's tonnes of racing series including the stock races where everyone is in the same car essentially.

That's not what F1 is unfortunately, its about showcasing the elite technology - sometimes this means one team dominates and its not great as a spectacle but I do believe the bosses are now interfering too much. You have to get the rules right and then let the teams take care of the rest.

The last great season for me were when Hamilton joined F1 (his debut season and the following one). The double diffuser year was also quite good but for the wrong reasons. Recent years not so much.

Edited by AVFCDAN

Hamilton winning the first championship in Brazil goes in a one of my favourite sporting moments ever, along with Johnny Wilkinson kicking the winner in the 2003 WC final.

This year it seems the new tyres are far more durable so none of this backing off to protect the tyres nonsense we've had in recent years.

Promising result for the prospect of a competitive season, although I need to see more.  I'm not convinced this isn't just a strategic blip by Merc and they'll be back on it in China.

On 3/27/2017 at 03:57, Genie said:

Seeing the Mercedes and Ferrari cars coming passed the back markers shows just how big the gap is from front to back of the grid. They were going passed them like Porsche's racing Fiesta's.

Blue flags mean get over or get a penalty. Bollox I says, if you can't pass a guy who you're lapping, tough shit. This would be one of the easiest ways to make racing more interesting, seeing guys diving out of the way for the leaders is pathetic.

Edited by villakram
  • Like 1

On 01/04/2017 at 23:40, villakram said:

Blue flags mean get over or get a penalty. Bollox I says, if you can't pass a guy who you're lapping, tough shit. This would be one of the easiest ways to make racing more interesting, seeing guys diving out of the way for the leaders is pathetic.

It's also why I think DRS is the single worst thing to happen to "racing" for years.  Overtaking is a key skill in racing.  It may be THE key skill.  Now it's one thing making backmarkers get out of the way.  But if your design rules necessitate having effectively a **** boost button in order to get past someone YOU'RE ACTUALLY RACING ON TRACK then your formula is fundamentally **** up.  I hate hate hate DRS.  Anyone who genuinely tries to defend its existence doesn't know racing, or rather doesn't care about racing.

• Like 2

Thing is, there is nothing wrong with DRS at all its purely the way it's used.

If everyone had it available at the same times it just makes the cars quicker on the straights.

It's only letting the person behind have it that makes it such a joke.

Exactly, which means that DRS by its very application and nature is an advantage given only to the car behind.  Making it a joke, making the racing a joke and making overtaking almost completely artificial.  It is just a horrendous 'solution' to a problem that needs fixing properly.  Until they do that and encourage proper dicing, they'll continue to wonder why their viewing figures are going down.  The playstation brigade that they're placating with DRS are not a hardcore loyal base.  They are transient and casual.  Meanwhile you lose and/or alienate a hardcore fanbase with your gimmickery.

• Like 1

Good to see Ferrari challenging the Mercs, what happened to Red Bull? McLaren will ditch Honda and probably go back to mercedes and will spend another 2 or 3 years catching up, I bet Jenson Button has changed his number as he wont want to replace Alonso in that heap of junk.

DRS is the wrong solution to a very real problem. Without DRS the aerodynamics of cars these days makes passing almost impossible, the introduction of DRS makes it too easy. Aerodynamics has evolved in to such a science that the 'dirty air' created by a leading car will nearly prevent any over taking.

So whilst no fan if this artificial 'turbo' boost, I see the reasons behind it but think the fact it's been left as it is whilst creating too much of an advantage for the pursing car is ridiculous. Surely during preseason testing the FIA could work with teams to create a way DRS could be tailored to negate the disadvantages of dirty air whilst not giving the following car an easy ride. I'm sure intelligent enough people could work out how much speed is lost behind a car and tailor DRS to match, not exceed, it.

Ferrari and Mercedes looking evenly matched, verstappen at the back of the grid and a wet track that you can overtake on as well.

Has all the ingredients for a great race.

Let's see if these new regs are any good, if they don't work today then I don't think they ever will.

Â