The Manager thread

Xela

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Just saw this post...so hang on Mantis you criticise the British managers who speak PASSHUN and now it's the articulate informative managers who also get it. I don't think I've ever heard Eddie Howe mention passion once in any interview which is refreshing.

It's more his tone than anything - he's just really bland and talks in meaningless buzz phrases most of the time. I know most managers do that but there's a big middle ground between being totally robotic and acting like a clown (e.g. Sherwood). It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Of course he's still a good manager.

Just now, rubberman said:

Just seen the stat that the Derby Forest fixture has featured 10 different managers over the last 5 meetings (albeit 2 of those are McLaren). Wow.

Completely forgot that McClaren was Forest manager for a couple of months a few years back.

6 hours ago, Mantis said:

It's more his tone than anything - he's just really bland and talks in meaningless buzz phrases most of the time. I know most managers do that but there's a big middle ground between being totally robotic and acting like a clown (e.g. Sherwood). It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Of course he's still a good manager.

Really, when I think of all the managers in the league Howe has to be the least offensive in his interviews. Maybe that's your point but he rarely criticises the ref and always to me analyses the games in a measured way. Refreshing from the blame the ref/crowd/tea lady world of Mourinho, Wenger, Klopp, Dyche , Hughes soundbites.

12 hours ago, DK82 said:

Well yes. Shows our club has patience and a plan - and intend to stick to it. We've needed stability for a while.

Must be remembered that Derby have been in this league for 10 years and over that time they've spent a massive amount on their squad....likes of Hughes, Bent, Vydra, Nugent, Bradley Johnson etc won't be on a fiver a week, they'll be on bottom half premier league wages.

So the expectation from the owner is minimum 6th and when they slip below that usually means the manager is sacked.

We're at a completely different point...first time in this league for 30 years and despite all the money this season has taken a lot of time to get used to the level. I think now we're consistently getting to grips with what is required so looking forward to next season now, hopefully won't be yet another false dawn.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Really, when I think of all the managers in the league Howe has to be the least offensive in his interviews. Maybe that's your point but he rarely criticises the ref and always to me analyses the games in a measured way. Refreshing from the blame the ref/crowd/tea lady world of Mourinho, Wenger, Klopp, Dyche , Hughes soundbites.

Yep, that was exactly my point. He comes across as totally bland.

Edited by Mantis

Depends really, at Small Heath, Rowett played really negatively, played on the counter attack but did it very well. Can he get away with doing that at Derby? 

Edited by PieFacE

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Think derby are gonna be a force now with rowett

I do think you overrate Rowett a tad mate. He's decent but not a genius. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I do think you overrate Rowett a tad mate. He's decent but not a genius. 

Have to admit I do rate rowett not just at blose but his work at burton Albion. I think he has potential to go far. 

I think it's abit premature to say whether he is a genius or not, but this derby job will be tough so if he can make a success of this ...

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Rowett be lucky to have Derby near play-offs next season. He plays dour football which is opposite of what Derby have available to them

The highlighted bit is the reason that the Derby job could define his career. 

I agree that if he plays the horrible, dour style he played at sha, he will struggle with the Derby squad and it will typecast his managerial style which will create a championship ceiling for him. 

If however he is capable of adapting his style and proves successful, his career could take off.  

Its a make or break opportunity. 

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Have to admit I do rate rowett not just at blose but his work at burton Albion. I think he has potential to go far. 

I think it's abit premature to say whether he is a genius or not, but this derby job will be tough so if he can make a success of this ...

I think he is massively over rated personally and very limited.

If you want a team to be organised, structured and hard to beat he can do that. But more than that? It remains to be seen, personally I think not.

I don't think he is right for Derby or them right for him, I don't think it will work out. We shall see.

Â