Should McClaren Resign?

desensitized43

Should he Stay or Should he Go?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should he Stay or Should he Go?

• Go After Remaining Qualifiers
    • Go Now

he lost the two hardest games by sticking with a shite keeper, his own fault

And if Carson had been picked and had howlers, you'd be saying hes lost them for not sticking with the first choice.

Robinson has experience of those games, he didnt do much wrong tonight in all fairness, there was no pressure on the inital shot he palmed out therefore to get any kind of save to it was good, given the player had the whole goal to aim at.

It would have been worse for him to have dropped Robinson imo - simply because of the understanding Robinson has with his back 4.

Its not his fault he's not the right man for the job though is it?

Quite, he seems a decent enough bloke - No probs with him as an assistant to a foreign manager.

I'm holding the tosser UK press to blame, and to a slightly lesser degree the F.A. for caving in.

My own opinion of course.

And if Carson had been picked and had howlers, you'd be saying hes lost them for not sticking with the first choice.

Robinson has experience of those games, he didnt do much wrong tonight in all fairness, there was no pressure on the inital shot he palmed out therefore to get any kind of save to it was good, given the player had the whole goal to aim at.

It would have been worse for him to have dropped Robinson imo - simply because of the understanding Robinson has with his back 4.

Robinson, though cant be blamed for the second goal, can be critiscised for his part in it, as he didnt do what goalkeeper do - palm the shot out wide, instead he palmed it out into the center into a dangerous position, and Lescott could have been a bit more alert.

Robinson, though cant be blamed for the second goal, can be critiscised for his part in it, as he didnt do what goalkeeper do - palm the shot out wide, instead he palmed it out into the center into a dangerous position, and Lescott could have been a bit more alert.

Robinson should have been dropped a couple of games ago as his confidence is shot to pieces and this has affected his judgement big time.

I've heard people say that as his confidence is low the worst thing you can do is kick him in the teeth by dropping him but its not about Robinson its about having a keeper in form in between the sticks for England.

Carson or James should have been in goal in the last 2 or 3 games for England and I'd expect Carson to start in Englands next game ( the friendly against Austria ) and if he performs well he'll then keep his place.

a new question - will Mclaren be treated the same way as Taylor was when he failed to qualify us for the WC 94? because he **** should.

and the point on Robinson, Mclown just didnt have the love spuds to drop him.

a new question - will Mclaren be treated the same way as Taylor was when he failed to qualify us for the WC 94? because he **** should.

He'll be ripped to pieces.

Taylor went from finishing second in the top flight with Villa to managing England then trying to rebuild his reputation in the second tier at Wolves.

I'm not sure where McClaren will go when he is inevitably sacked if England fail to qualify or Euro 2008.

Hes reputation as a club manager is shit after his stint at Boro so he'd have a problem getting a job at a decent sized prem club.

spot on Ian.

The manager is solely culpbable at the end of the day for sticking with what the footballing world knows is a very dodgy keeper.

a dodgy keeper who then goes and drops a clanger for their 2nd goal.

McClown and Robinson (plus gerrard) let the nation down badly last night

disagree with every word.

average shot, very poor save, palmed it straight to their guy. Any keeper worth his salt is taught to either hold onto the ball or palm it away (wide). Never, ever palm it directly into your 6 yard box for a tap in. Awful, awful keeper.

that shite keeper should not have played last night, and should not play again.

both him and McClown should now go.

Jon, as nobody closed the shot down, the lad had the whole goal to aim at. The fact Robinson got a save to it was good, yes he SHOULD have turned the ball away, however the 1st part of the blame surely has to fall on whoever's responsibility it was to close the shot (I believe Gerrard was nearest man, but I can't say that for sure) - he should have been alert and on review of the goal will have questions to answer to the management. 2nd incident that went towards the goal was Robinsons save - yes ideally he should have turned it away from the goal, but that is a bonus to saving the shot. First and foremost he had to save the shot, no chance would he have held onto it, powerful, free shot from 18 yards out, diving full stretch - no way should he have held it. Finally, Rio Ferdinand strolling and Lescott expecting Rio to deal with it left a striker very much on a high having just scored, the chance to put it away, that is probably the most costly error of the lot.

Perhaps its easier to blame the keeper, but there were 3 errors that created that goal.

fair points.

I'm from the school however that keepers are there for a reason, as they do tend to have shots to save and general "keeping" to do in a game, especially away from home.

He has proven himself over a number of months to be a very dodgy keeper, and last night proved it again.

Should not have been in goal IMO, and if he is not capable of pushing an average shot like that away from goal then i would question his abilities as a top keeper.

Yes, in an ideal world england should have restricted Russia to no shots on target, so our keeper would have been fully protected. But he's a weak link, and proved it again last night.

a keeper is there as the last line of defence, a player called into action at the last, once the defence has been breached. defence was breached, and he failed to do his job IMO.

IMHO, i don't blame the defence for that goal. I blame Robinson.

Thats a fair point and in terms of not closing him down, if it had been a first time hit, I would agree you cant close people down in that time, but maybe my memory is playing tricks here but didnt he have time to control it, look up, hit it? On the edge of the box??

The reason why so many goals are scored with a first time shot etc is because usually if you take the second touch you've got someone closing you down meaning the keeper's job is a lot easier.

I agree that shot should have been turned away and he's done poorly in that view, but unfortunately there are two other options England could have had - James, who is a great keeper, but if you're looking for solid, reliable 90 minutes in a big game, look elsewhere! Carson, who has no experience, never played behind that back 4 and although he's a Villa player this year, he has his flaws too ;)

Given that Lescott was making his full debut, Richards only has a handful of caps and Campbell/Rio isnt a tried and tested pairing in the middle, going for a keeper who has played 90% of the recent internationals seems the logical thing to do.

England have a problem dropping their keepers - seamen stayed on two or three years too long, james kept the gloves when robinson was the in-form keeper in the country, and now that james, carson and green are all playing better than robinson he seems unshiftable.

Gringo, I just feel he is part of the clique of players that other in form players find hard to break, witness Barry only getting in because Lumpard was injured.

It is clear all season and probably for last that Robinson was easily NOT the best keeper for England yet he was un droppable

Imagine if say Carson kept doing teh same at Villa, I doubt Chris would be so lenient.

I voted for go now but I must say, McClaren has vastly improved in my eyes since when he first took over. Some of his decisions may have been forced on him but he still made them and they were decisions which I thought he might never have made.

I think the player we missed the most last night was Heskey, I never thought I would say that and it was unfortunate that he got injured as I think we needed someone like that to beat Russia.

Hmm hindsight tis a wonderful thing.

Coming off the back of 5 successive 3-0 wins I never saw many questioning the team selection BEFORE the game yesterday.

For me he could have swapped to James instead of Robinson as Robinson was lucky to get away with dropping another one on Sat. To play Carson would have been stupid in such a game.

The only other thing yesterday was the playing of Lescott at Left back, which looking at the game was a mistake.

I still feel that England will qualify and if they don't then the fans and media will be screaming for Jose (thus meaning we will be stuck with Fat Frank too); MO'N will not get the job even if he wants it as I think Curbishley is the next English manager if Jose doesn't get it.

Â