Gareth Southgate

Richard

Up until this point the one thing you could really praise Southgate for has been his handling of the media but he's read this so wrong.

The way he's coming across with the handling of the Maguire (and to a lesser extent the Phillips) situation is looking like gaslighting. These players clearly aren't worthy of a place in the squad. They aren't the best players available, they aren't in form, they can't be match fit, they don't play enough football. Certainly in the case of Maguire I "get it" from Southgate's perspective. They've been together a long time and from his side Maguire hasn't ever "let him down" and there's an element of loyalty. However, if Southgate really wants to be a top manager he needs to get over this. Wenger didn't show any loyalty to Viera when he decided his time was done. Ferguson did it multiple times. Pep certainly hasn't.

I thought Dunk looked excellent last night and when Stones is fit those 2 should definitely be the partnership.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Fits time I’ve seen him angry and with a bit of fire in his belly defending his boy Hazza.

Utter refusal to acknowledge the reality of a player past his time unable to meaningly contribute any more. 

It's a situation Maguire has brought on himself that bafflingly Southgate is desperate to perpetuate.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Absolutely perfect opportunity to play Tomori.

Playing Maguire made no sense at all.

It capitulated as most expected it might.

Next summer during the euros he will wheel out some bullshit about maguire having more experience than tomori

Last night is part of why... Its his doing

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Next summer during the euros he will wheel out some bullshit about maguire having more experience than tomori

Last night is part of why... Its his doing

He also kept Kane on for 84 minutes in, what in reality, was a friendly. Kane gets injured and Southgate is royally f**ked due to other strikers continuously only get the odd 6 or 7 minutes each game, as he's obviously determined for Kane to beat Rooney's record.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmygreaves said:

Utter refusal to acknowledge the reality of a player past his time unable to meaningly contribute any more. 

It's a situation Maguire has brought on himself that bafflingly Southgate is desperate to perpetuate.

Blames the media for slagging Maguire, cause he ain't got the bottle to blame the fans, I don't think the media have been that negative to be honest, us fans have and rightly so.

He says he’s never seen a player being treated by the media before. That might be true. But has a player ever been consistently in the England team without playing for their club for this long. I’d argue that’s also unprecedented and would be an interesting follow up question for any journalist who cared to call Southgate on his own BS. 

• Like 1

I kind of agree with Southage about the critique of Maguire, it has gone way past critique to bullying, (this threshold was crossed years ago), by the media and fans. BUT the only reason why fans started bullying him, was because they were offered the opportunity to do so. It the managers job to protect a player, for instance, by removing them from the limelight when needed. Maguire needed to be removed from the limelight years ago, which Southage has failed to do. 

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Kalvin Phillips plays more for country than club, but the key difference is that he’s not a liability. 

I know this rubbish about 'never let me down' does my head in. He's been responsible for a fair few goals and suicidal back passes or being caught out etc

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I kind of agree with Southage about the critique of Maguire, it has gone way past critique to bullying, (this threshold was crossed years ago), by the media and fans. BUT the only reason why fans started bullying him, was because they were offered the opportunity to do so. It the managers job to protect a player, for instance, by removing them from the limelight when needed. Maguire needed to be removed from the limelight years ago, which Southage has failed to do. 

Maguire celebrated a goal vs San Marino by giving it the big one as if he was shutting up some critics. He isn't innocent in this

Solskjaer and Southgate have had a bizarre soft spot and thats why he is in this situation

• Like 2

3 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Up until this point the one thing you could really praise Southgate for has been his handling of the media but he's read this so wrong.

The way he's coming across with the handling of the Maguire (and to a lesser extent the Phillips) situation is looking like gaslighting. These players clearly aren't worthy of a place in the squad. They aren't the best players available, they aren't in form, they can't be match fit, they don't play enough football. Certainly in the case of Maguire I "get it" from Southgate's perspective. They've been together a long time and from his side Maguire hasn't ever "let him down" and there's an element of loyalty. However, if Southgate really wants to be a top manager he needs to get over this. Wenger didn't show any loyalty to Viera when he decided his time was done. Ferguson did it multiple times. Pep certainly hasn't.

I thought Dunk looked excellent last night and when Stones is fit those 2 should definitely be the partnership.

The problem is, this bit just isn’t true for both Phillips and Maguire. Maguire has had a couple of horrendous games for England- one in which he was sent off for two stupid tackles early on, another where he looked miles off the pace against Germany, and you can add last night to the list where he gives away an own goal under absolutely no pressure. If Mings, Guehi, tomori etc did the same then they’d be out of the squad but Maguire is repeatedly given more chances by Southgate without any mitigation from his club form. And ditto with Phillips, he had an absolutely atrocious game against Hungary last year which England lost 3-0 and was worse than any performance JWP has given for England but who repeatedly gets in the squad? Albeit, I will grant that Phillips was decent last night.

The more this goes on the more I think that Southgate is playing out a kind of personal campaign to remake history and his own victimisation after the 1996 euros penalty miss. He maybe even believes that he was one of englands best two centre backs and was badly treated. So he’s seeing himself in these players and trying to make things right. No other manager would be persisting with Maguire at this point and it’s entirely on Southgate that Maguire’s under so much scrutiny 

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Fits time I’ve seen him angry and with a bit of fire in his belly defending his boy Hazza.

He's an absolutely stubborn word removed. His loyalty towards Maguire has no boundaries, poor Maguire, I'm sure he's so sad being jeered by opposition fans. Now he can go back to Manchester United and pick up his obscenely high wages of £200K per week. All while not having to put a shift in to get in the team as he knows Southgate is such an idiot he'll pick him for England anyway. This guy turned down first team football at West Ham, the only team genuinely interested in him, to stay where he is where even Lindelof is ahead of him. Slabhead is a complete tw*t as is Southgate. 

Yesterday was a perfect opportunity to try something new. Give Tomori a go, try out Colwill. Bringing on Maguire at half time was so Southgate. And when he scores a ridiculous own goal, does nothing defensively, and is outshone by Lewis **** Dunk, Southgate still defends him. And I bet he's delighted Phillips had a solid game so he doesn't have to drop him from the squad.

Thank god he's **** off after the Euros, can't stand the odious little man.

4 hours ago, villaglint said:

He says he’s never seen a player being treated by the media before. That might be true. But has a player ever been consistently in the England team without playing for their club for this long. I’d argue that’s also unprecedented and would be an interesting follow up question for any journalist who cared to call Southgate on his own BS. 

How does he not the remember the abuse Tony Adams received from the press. I think it was about 1988 when it got really bad. It was far worse than what Maguire is getting, and Adams was a mainstay in a top Arsenal side.

Â