Top Gear

Jez

The spoof Inteceptor thing was fantastic. It was completely believable as the opening to a 70s show :) And the Hamster's karate chops were a funny touch :) The demolition tanks were funny and there were a few actually unscripted jokes (Princess Diana owned one of these). I thought last night; though it had nothing particularly 'epic' in it; was very funny. Made me laugh out loud a fair few times.

A bit thin on actual 'motoring' content though!

Perhaps. But it's an entertainment show for me. Has been for a long time. If it makes me laugh then it's good TV.

I think anyone would find it hard to argue that it's not an entertainment show first and foremost, the fact thats its so blatantly scripted proves that. Not that I care, it's light hearted, good fun TV.

USA version premiered its second season last night, continuing to improve. Not surprisingly, this comes as it stakes out a distinct identity, for instance, "Jessica" has been dropped.

No real surprise but one of the best articles of the whole series was the last one - and rightly they kept that complete and utter a-hole Clarkson totally out of it.

The programme really does not need him (and his bigoted, borderline racist views) to produce a good TV, entertaining and informative.

Not a bad episode, no stupid fires or scriptedness tonight so it gets a thumbs up from me

Nice to see Ben Collins make an appearance at the end as well, looked a little bit awkward though.

That Lambo looks an absolute monster, not normally a fan of stupid garish cars but I liked that a lot.

Good episode..

The Aventador is great, Good replacement for the Murci.. Price is relatively the same as the lp640 was when it first came out.

Electric cars i've never liked.. never liked the idea and I certainly won't be buying one.. infact I hate diesel too.

All in all a good final episode imo.

Must have hurt to have Collins back on the show after all the court cases and the name calling ..probably why Clarkson wasn't down for that sketch ..

May not be as good as it used to be but it's still not a bad show and Clarksons rants and musings still make the show ... of course it's an act that he plays up to but it's part of what makes the show ... not the series is over ,would love to see him guest on Question time as he would be good value

I think thats a gorgeous car. And more attractive than Ferraris current flagship imo.

I enjoyed last nights ep, thats what they should do more of. It was still entertaining, but it wasn't that stupid (one or 2 throwaway gags aside).

Wasn't such a fan of the final segment though. No issue with the subject, but it was filmed in that mawkish way that anything to do with the disabled always is - it was more about the fact that they were disabled soldiers than it was that they were people doing something brilliant, if you see my point. A similar thing happens with the (number of) ads that have popped up cashing in on the Olympics - they have voyeuristic shots of Paralympic athletes that at once both try to plainly show 'This man is an athlete', but by focusing on the running blade or other prosthetic make it clear that he's not just an athlete in the eyes of the director/audience/whatever. I've always found that quite annoying.

The lingering shot of the man who Hammond largely coaxed into welling up to the point he asked for a moment to compose himself was a pretty grim too. I don't need to see a man who has suffered terrible things cry, and I don't think it should have been something put on the film.

Those couple of things slightly spoiled a good segment for me. But that was probably the best episode of the series. The electric cars thing summed up what Top Gear can do well - they did a segment that was both informative, but clearly had an argument to make and made that argument (and made it entertaining) by exaggerating or taking things in a slightly less than fair situation (those cars I would suspect the manufacturers would call 'City cars' or 'city runarounds', not big commute machines, for example), but at heart the argument (electric cars are potentially good but batteries are dumb, don't buy them) is sound.

A little less cocking about, a little more light hearted not stupid fun and the series will get back on track.