January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

We sent scouts to watch regan slater of Sheffield utd the other night. Spoke about him a few weeks back. Very very highly rated cm. Not a signing that would push us on this year but perhaps one to look out for in the next couple of years.

Its stuff like this that we need to get more involved in.....I don't know this player......but I don't see the big money signings getting us back to where we want to be.....having said that I can accept thats what we need to do for the "here and now"

long term, I like your view.

36 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Why would Bruce need to scout players he's managed for years???? 

to sit in the corporate area before, during anf after the game to have a chat with the player, his agent, the hull people etc

makes things happen quicker than emails and phone calls

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

Its stuff like this that we need to get more involved in.....I don't know this player......but I don't see the big money signings getting us back to where we want to be.....having said that I can accept thats what we need to do for the "here and now"

long term, I like your view.

Think we'd have some competition for him. A few of the big boys watching him too. I'm sure there is many others who are equally as good potentially but I think there's big question marks over our ability to nurture young talent. However that's a different topic.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Aston Villa rival Crystal Palace and West Brom for Leicester’s Jeffrey Schlupp

'Aston Villa are interested in signing Jeffrey Schlupp from Leicester but face competition from Crystal Palace and West Brom for the Ghana international.

Schlupp, who was surprisingly left out of the Black Stars’ squad for the Africa Cup of Nations last week, has rarely featured for the Premier League champions this season having made just six appearances in all competitions. A proposed move to West Brom was blocked by manager Claudio Ranieri last summer after Tony Pulis had two bids of £9m and £12m for the 24-year-old rejected by Leicester.

Despite having another two and a-half years remaining on the contract he signed in June 2015, Leicester are prepared to allow Schlupp to move in this window but rejected a £9.5m bid from Crystal Palace earlier this week. They are likely to return with a new bid in the region of £12m, with West Brom and Championship side Villa also expected to match that offer in the coming days. The German-born player – who can operate at left-back and on the wing – is keen to leave the King Power Stadium in search of more regular football.

The Villa manager, Steve Bruce, is keen to strengthen his squad in this window and is also closing in on the signing of Henri Lansbury from Nottingham Forest for £3m. Forest’s owner, Fawaz al-Hasawi, has yet to rubber stamp the move ahead of the proposed sale of his controlling stake to John Jay Moores, with the American businessman reported to be flying to the United Kingdom on Tuesday to complete the deal.'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/10/aston-villa-jeffrey-schlupp-west-brom-crystal-palace

Can't really see why he would come here ahead of two PL sides, but the Graun don't usually write articles unless there's at least something in it, or that's how it seems to me. 

I'd be entirely in favour. He's fast, direct, powerful and better than what we have. 

....sounds like my type of player.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jas10 said:

It's great to have players with the right attitude that are both hard working and talented.

Unfortunately, nowadays it's very very difficult to find such players as there are so few e.g. committed or "hungry" players lacking in technical skills, talented players who don't put the graft in etc.

Money is always going to be the main factor followed by club status or progress and prestige and hopefully likelihood of playing regularly. 

Clubs have to entice players with significant financial incentives and sometimes even the promise of being moved on to a "bigger" club if they "make their name" or perform well for a length of time e.g. release clauses. We've been victims of this ourselves.

At least at higher levels, football isn't the most ethical or prestigious of sports anymore, it's all about the money...just look at the agents and the huge fees they get for pulling off big transfers.

A good scouting department should at least be capable of identifying players who perform well consistently and maintain high standards. Sometimes it can be worth taking a risk on an unproven player or even one with a bad attitude etc. in the hope that they can be moulded and improved but consistent performers are a must. Build a decent team first.

All that is true....but equally good players want to play with good players.....no one wants to go to a club and have to carry them.

You say money and there is no denying the fact that that is the prime factor.....but equally when it comes to work rate,drive & desire.... its fascinating how the top teams all have this in abundance, quite apart from their technical skills being superior.

you would be forgiven for thinking that they would think their superior technical skills would give them the edge and it would be enough.....not so they graft like Trojans.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Fast, direct, powerful.... and shit at football. 

who said that?.......I take it they can play, as a given.

but equally, remember, they can't all be ball jugglers.....especially in this league.

I would not have thought it possible to make this level of football and not be able to pass accurately to a team mate.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Won't be a popular view, but I would be very disappointed if we sold Ayew.

I rate him but he hasn't been played in a regular position and the manager does not seem keen on him, if that's the case then it would be best to move him on and get a decent replacement in. I think a front two of Ayew and Kodjia would be worth a shot, he's definitely a better player than McCormack imo. Never seen him as a winger personally.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

I rate him but he hasn't been played in a regular position and the manager does not seem keen on him, if that's the case then it would be best to move him on and get a decent replacement in. I think a front two of Ayew and Kodjia would be worth a shot, he's definitely a better player than McCormack imo. Never seen him as a winger personally.

I agree with this, if we can put together a midfield capable of playing 4-4-2 during this window then a front two of Ayew & Kodjia could be lethal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Sorry just talking about Schlupp, he's a very good athlete but really not a good footballer at all, £10m odd quid would be terrible business. 

I understand your point, but like boxing they have generally 2 types Boxers and fighters.

If you look at the Leeds back 4 you would hardly rate them for their silky skills.....you have to have a blend.

Its just me personally, I like the physical types.....I find them more reliable.

Thats not to say that I dismiss the Mersons and Solano's of this world....on contrary, I drool at their skills too.

ps I get a bit spooked by too many of these 10 mill players

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

I think the fact that we generally play 3 midfielders who provide next to nothing going forward hurts him (and our other attackers). We have nobody in the middle of the park who can play a penetrating pass to release our attacking mids. Instead, the ball is ponderously given to the full-backs, who pass it on to our wingers, meaning that Ayew, Grealish, et al typically receive the ball on half-way with their backs to goal, and the whole opposition defense in front of them. Sign a decent passer in midfield, who can break the lines, and we'll see a different Ayew imo. I also agree that he's better than McCormack. Ideally, I wouldn't sell either (as I think our problems are further back the pitch), but given that we could command a similar fee for Ross, he would be out the door before Ayew for me.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, AJ said:

Fun...as in going from having too many strikers to a skeleton crew?

We'll be building a squad like Hull the other night, if we let more go without finalising the incomings first. 

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

All that is true....but equally good players want to play with good players.....no one wants to go to a club and have to carry them.

You say money and there is no denying the fact that that is the prime factor.....but equally when it comes to work rate,drive & desire.... its fascinating how the top teams all have this in abundance, quite apart from their technical skills being superior.

you would be forgiven for thinking that they would think their superior technical skills would give them the edge and it would be enough.....not so they graft like Trojans.

Yes, my point was basically that players are going to come for the money first and foremost but that doesn't mean they won't be committed if you find or scout the right characters. It's important to create the right blend of players for a good team, I'm looking at Chelsea for the moment where they have a mix of style and resilience if you will and a manager who knows how to motivate his players. Different characters of players actually motivate and inspire each other too, e.g. the "hard men" keep the skilful lads on their toes etc. It's important to have a few leaders or captains in the team but also technically gifted players too.

Also, if there's a realistic chance of being successful or winning things then I suppose that inspires and compels players to play with desire and hunger too but that's not the case for many teams which is why players want to move on too.

Regarding the moneyball theme, I'm certainly not a fan of the idea of relying on figures and statistics to solely judge players on. They can be used as a basis or guide though but actual physical scouting (seeing the players in action) and getting (character) references and other information is a must. There are just too many factors involved in trying to find the right players such as how hard working they are, yes their technical level, how they get along with others, their level of commitment, do they adapt easily to different environments and tactics etc. etc. etc. 

I do think this is the aim of our new scouting team though, having read comments from both Bruce, Round and even Dr. Xia it does seem as though we will be making more concerted efforts in that sense and that at least is pleasing. Here's to the future...