Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

11 hours ago, TRO said:

I think that's some of the players are not as decent as we think they are.

I see certain things during a game and I ask myself.....Is SB responsible for that. Poor touch, is he responsible for that poor decision, is he responsible for you so easily losing the ball so cheaply, is he responsible for you not making that run.

Wow, anything bar the manager at fault. Every time I watch us play we look like 11 players on the pitch, not a team. He has had over 30 games to get us playing to a system. A pre-season and another 3 or 4 signings ........will it really be any better

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

As you say, a development in the way we play is needed. Can Bruce do that? Is that something he's successfully done before? I always had him down as someone who had a preferred style and was able to get success in the championship with it. From what I've seen i don't see much evidence to suggest Bruce can get these players performing in a different more positive style of football. 

It is a good question as to whether Bruce can get us playing in a more positive manner. I got to be honest I have never followed his teams that closely to know if he has managed to get teams playing attacking exciting football. I get the impression given the teams he has managed that in the Premier League it has always been very much about first and foremost achieving survival and building teams based on keeping things tight.

Clearly though you don’t get clubs promoted unless you win a lot of games. Having had a quick look at how Hull did the last time he achieved a promotion (last season) they scored 69 goals, the 4th highest in the division.

Whatever happens in the next three games I am convinced he will be here next season. I am also convinced that he knows the areas where we are lacking and what we need to do much better to get promoted. The reason I know this is that he has told us enough times and by looking at this CV it is clear the guy knows what you need to do to get out of this division.

He will now have the summer to tweak the squad and I expect 3 or 4 players to come in and at least a handful to go out. He will then have pretty much his own squad and will have had a pre season to implement a style of play to get us promoted. Come August he has to hit the ground running and he will know as well as anyone else that there will be no excuses and it will be time to shit or get off the pot.

There is no benefit at this time in changing managers. Firstly we aren’t going to attract a better manager than Bruce in terms of getting promotion. We also don’t need the upheaval of another manager coming in and taking weeks to look at the squad, potentially wanting to make major changes and then another season of transition as players get used to each other and working under another manager.

We know better than any club that changing managers frequently has a tendency to get you nowhere. You may get the initial manager bounce but that policy has reaped zero medium to long term benefits. Whilst I would never advocate giving any manager time if we can’t give a manager with Bruce’s record time then I am not sure what manager we will be prepared to give time to. This looking for short term fixes and throwing our toys out of the pram after a handful of months has to stop. We need some stability and we need to allow a decent manager in Bruce a decent period of time to right the many wrongs of the last handful of years.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Because I look at who may possibly be making the appointment.

Wyness maybe a good administrator and Round may even have a good Blueprint as far as how the club should be logistically organised. But can DrT, Wyness and Round find/choose/persuade "the right manager for the now" to come to us?

But then if the new managers success hangs on them having a pre season and a transfer window then its highly likely they will be as big a risk as Bruce. 

I was under the impression there was a manager out there that would absolutely guarantee that they will get us promoted. 

If that isn't the case. Then Bruce stays for mine. As some have said give him the chance to get off to a good start. 

With the squad we will have assembled by then, and if Bruce is as bad as some claim then it should be easy for any manager to come in and sort us out. 

12 hours ago, terrytini said:

I'm not being selective about anything. How silly.

Im simply saying they'd look daft sacking him after the run we've had. If you disagree,fine.

and if he was to lose the next 3 would they still look foolish

18 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

At the end of this season Bruce will have had 8 months and 35 games in charge.

Literally every game has been a mirror image of the following or previous game, cautious sitting back, hoping to nick a win.

With the possibility of the club signing 2 GK's (1 possibly being SJ) a CB, a DM and 1 or 2 more, who on earth believes that after so long with the same old same old, Bruce will suddenly change not only the way we play but achieve a promotion winning set of performances & results?

GH, he's averaged 1.5 points per game in his time with us. Whichever way you cut it, over the course of a season that's a win or two from a pretty much guaranteed playoff place. And he's achieved that despite taking over a team with no confidence, no midfield and hovering around the relegation zone.

With a solid pre-season to work with the players, trim some off he doesn't want, make a couple more additions, it is not unreasonable to expect even now that he will achieve the same return next season plus the necessary small improvement required to have us in the promotion frame throughout the season. 

75 points is the absolute bear minimun we should be expecting next season, which should see us in the playoffs. Obvously we want to see far more, I'm Bruce and the club do too, but as a minimum benchmark, that serves our purpose. That works out around 1.65 points per game.

After 5 or 6 games next season, we can take stock. If we're averaging more than 1.65 PPG in those first few games, we're on track to for the minimum expectations at least. If we're averaging  far less than that, then the Club should really be thinking about making a change before it's too late unless there's real mitigating circumstances that could explain the poor performance. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That's a bit strange to say that's how we defend all the time when we don't usually play 352. If you mean when he plays this formation I agree, but not every week as demonstrated with all the clean sheets.

Especially when you consider we have the fourth or fifth best defence in the league.

Our problems this season haven't been at the back. It's been scoring goals.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It's absurd to make such definitive statements over 12 months before the end of next season. 

Let's archive this comment and have a look at how it stands up at the end of May 2018.

It's not absurd.  Just an opinion.  But I am using 30 years of watching previous Villa teams and 15 years of coaching to come up with this opinion.

I would love to see them go up but IMO based on what I've seen the team is not good enough.

I will gladly hold my hands up if proved wrong.

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

Since Bruce took over the wreckage of Villa he and these players have 14 Wins and 6 draws.

In that same period Benitez who had a side that only barely got relegated and with whom he worked an entire prep season has 18 Wins and 7 draws.

In my OPINION that's enough to suggest they'll go up.

If someone else thinks different fine.

well if they can play 5 more games than us we stand no chance

I've said it before and I'll say it again, id go all out for Marco silva if hull come down because I think he would do a good job here based upon what he's done with a really awful hull team.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It's absurd to make such definitive statements over 12 months before the end of next season. 

Let's archive this comment and have a look at how it stands up at the end of May 2018.

absolutely........I cannot see it being to far off the mark

6 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, id go all out for Marco silva if hull come down because I think he would do a good job here based upon what he's done with a really awful hull team.

The same team Steve Bruce got promoted you mean?

36 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The reason I know this is that he has told us enough times and by looking at this CV it is clear the guy knows what you need to do to get out of this division.

I do wonder if we had appointed a manager with no experience of gaining promotions if some fans would be more critical of how we play, the lack of organisation..........

Has anybody looked at how he gained his 4 promotions, how his team's played? Did Hull, Wigan and Bloods play this way?  

Edited by mykeyb

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The same team Steve Bruce got promoted you mean?

Yes. Quite obviously. The same team

i think Bruce wanted to add to said team hence why he left. Don't quite get your point if I'm honest. 

Just now, Mjvilla said:

Yes. Quite obviously. The same team

i think Bruce wanted to add to said team hence why he left. Don't quite get your point if I'm honest. 

Because your saying go for Silva who is managing the same team our current manager Bruce is. That's practically Bruce's team. So I'd rather stick with Bruce than Silva right now

Â