Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

Hes better than no one and should be given a chance to settle in the team while Jeds out, otherwise we go back to giving up on players without giving them a fair chance

Has Bruce even used him this year??? Get the impression he doesn't rate him otherwise he would have featured more, especially as jedinak is out.

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Has Bruce even used him this year??? Get the impression he doesn't rate him otherwise he would have featured more, especially as jedinak is out.

I'm pretty sure he gave him a 4 year contract

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

I'm pretty sure he gave him a 4 year contract

But hasn't played him. Even though we are short of options in the dm position.... 

the club issue contracts and I believe Gardner would've been out of contract at the end of the season.

i would suggest the new contract was partially ensuring a fee if Gardner were to leave (which is a distinct possibility)

anyway, we digress from the topic. 

Edited by theboyangel

45 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I hope that he stays

How many times are we going to keep changing a manager because of some bad form?

Villa will never be the club that we once were if we keep sacking managers.

He is a very capable manager at this level and he deserves the time to make things right and make us effective.

We wouldn't sack managers if they were doing a good job .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Bunn

Bree       Chester     Baker    Taylor/Amavi

Jedinak

Gardner - Hourihane - Lansbury - Thor

Hogan - Kodja

Wouldnt be pretty by any stretch, might swap Adomah in for Gardner if Adomah could produce some end product.

If we cannot play 12 players then drop Gardner, it does mean our width might have to come from the full backs.

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

He played loads at the start of his tenure during our unbeaten run.

He's not great but yeah possibly something to do if Jedinak is going to be out for a while yet.

21 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

What is our record when Gardner has played this season? Presumably we have lost most of them..............

Think it's the opposite, he featured in many of the draws under RDM and again played the first 5-6 games under Bruce when we weren't losing.

The main problem with Bruce is, there is no system!!!!! 

We now have players who can play in a positive system, but we don't have the manager or coaches at the club to implement it. Before anyone says, 'how do you know, do you take notes at BMH'- No I do not, but it's obvious to see. We have a man who has signed the best players in the league and now has no clue how to play them all. Go back to my first posts and you'll see how much I banged on about Lansbury not being able to play in a 2 man midfield. Shock, he does and we get overrun every game. 

Yes Bruce has achieved promotions at other clubs, but they are nowhere near as big as Villa. Part of going to a big club is the expectation levels, as well as the demands for more positive football. He's a great fit for a team like Hull.

We haven't been coached at all on how to press as a team. If one person attempts it it doesn't evolve in to packs or a team press, it just stops. Instead we are instructed, yes instructed to sit back, which invites pressure, which makes us drop deeper etc. What this also does is have a knock on effect to work rates. Believe me when you play for a manager who concentrates a lot on pressing it automatically introduces a better work ethic, because you have to work harder off the ball. 

There are many more specifics I could go through but it would take me all night. At the end of the day Bruce is a good Manager for the right club/players, which sadly isn't us.  

For people saying it's not worked changing so far. All managers under Lerner post O'Neill didn't stand a chance with the ambition of the Chairman. 

I guarantee those who want Bruce out now also want continuity more than anything but we also need that to be with someone who will implement a system, but it has to be a positive system at the same time, with tactically astute coaches. These fans would be giving Bruce time if they could see a bigger picture, but he himself has no idea what the picture is, that's the problem. 

We will improve under Bruce because we can't get any worse. But I am convinced he isn't astute enough to get the best out of this squad. Any manager who publicly says he isnt bothered about tactics will not succeed at a big club. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I get what you're saying TRO but  if the players aren't doing what Bruce is asking then he needs to give them a rocket up the arse.

however, we also need to train with the intensity as if playing a competitive match and if they're not doing it, again it falls to Bruce to resolve. 

I totally agree....but if they are not listening to Bruce, who's to say they will listen and carry out the instructions of the next manager.

intensity, grit, determination, will to win,desire is intrinsic.....a manager can't instil that not a few months anyway.....its a way, its a culture.

How do know, he hasn't give them a rocket......you can only take the horse to the water, you can't make him drink.

No, for me it's the players......even if it is new ones, it's their job to perform.....they are getting paid handsomely, they need to perform.

ultimately, right or wrong.....He will pay the price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

It was tongue in cheek tro. 

But our only player to give us a balanced midfield is 32 and currently crocked... where's the alternative?

Well he may be loaned out.....but yes I get your drift.....we should have signed one.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think it's the opposite, he featured in many of the draws under RDM and again played the first 5-6 games under Bruce when we weren't losing.

Yes I think until Cardiff we hadn't lost with him playing a part.

He is crap according to a lot of people but just perhaps he does the unseen stuff that helps out his team mates. Mind you I had lost count of how many Jedinak is crap comments too and look how lightweight our midfield looks without him.

Continuity means a lot in football

I looked at Barnsley's formation for the previous 5 games it was the same

Superior team cohesion no wonder they blew us off the park why do we overthink and overcomplicate things

Strategy Steve failing miserably

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If Bruce was to go today I wonder what the highlight of his reign would be. Bringing back Gabby? jumping over McCormack gate? cant think of anything else

Leaving, it would be the leaving.

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

I totally agree....but if they are not listening to Bruce, who's to say they will listen and carry out the instructions of the next manager.

intensity, grit, determination, will to win,desire is intrinsic.....a manager can't instil that not a few months anyway.....its a way, its a culture.

How do know, he hasn't give them a rocket......you can only take the horse to the water, you can't make him drink.

No, for me it's the players......even if it is new ones, it's their job to perform.....they are getting paid handsomely, they need to perform.

ultimately, right or wrong.....He will pay the price.

In your opinion which members of the team aren't carrying out the managers instructions? 

I believe that they all want to win, all want to play well but they need a system in place that helps to get the best out of them. Playing a midfield four of Adomah, Hourihane, Lansbury and Grealish was completely lacking in steel and grit and the final result was no surprise. Manager or players to blame for that?

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Continuity means a lot in football

I looked at Barnsley's formation for the previous 5 games it was the same

Superior team cohesion no wonder they blew us off the park why do we overthink and overcomplicate things

Strategy Steve failing miserably

And you can guarantee he will make changes for Newcastle and again for Derby and again for,..........,.

Â