Next Villa Manager

Richard

17 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think I've ever agreed with you more Paul... Though I don't think I've ever agreed with you :D

I won't be heartbroken should they go down a different path, but for me he's the right man at the right time. We should take advantage of that opportunity, for once.

We really do need think short term here. 1-2 seasons. We need back in the PL as quickly as possible, he presents the best chance of that. 

No brainer.

It is a no brainer. I can almost hear the discussion:-

"So theres this Brucey geezer with 4 promotions to his name - who lives local - and is free agent"

"Yes Boss"

"But you're suggesting I pay £3m compensation for guy with no promotions and 44 games in this division"

"Yeah but he does a have  vision boss ?" 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

You can train fitness to peak at certain times. Tour de france cyclists do this so they peak and week 2 of the 3 week tour. Not sure a footballer can peak at a precise hour\minute though (well none of ours anyway -Id settle for once a fortnight with some of em !) 

Of course. You can, possibly, train the human body to peak on certain days and perhaps periods during physical activity, but at a precise time? Give over! 

Maybe it has a psychological effect. But then what happens when they play of a night time? Or an early kick off, or any other time than 3pm on a Saturday? That effect is nullified, it may even have an adverse effect. Unless he's dragging his players in for training at 9pm the day before a game!

Athletes crave routine, but this idea that you can train the human body to react in certain ways at precise times of the day, or that you should, is proper kooky. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Of course. You can, possibly, train the human body to peak on certain days and perhaps periods during physical activity, but at a precise time? Give over! 

Maybe it has a psychological effect. But then what happens when they play of a night time? Or an early kick off, or any other time than 3pm on a Saturday? That effect is nullified, it may even have an adverse effect. Unless he's dragging his players in for training at 9pm the day before a game!

Athletes crave routine, but this idea that you can train the human body to react in certain ways at precise times of the day, or that you should, is proper kooky. 

Probably why we've been shit as most of our game have been 1sh, 5ish or 8ish :D

26 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

now maybe the next Eddie Howe \ Wagner etc could get us out of this division and play Barcelona style football as we do it and we can act like West Ham fans and tell everyone that we play football the way it should be played whilst deriding the likes of Bruce and Allardyce... but I suspect for right here right now , Bruce is what we need to get out this division , his Hull brutally kicked the crap out of Grealish the other year (it may have even been 3 bookings in about 5 tackles )  , it can only have been on the mangers instruction  .. and I guess that's what we need right about now , Brentford's ginger lad dictated the game v us at VP , Bruce may be limited with his tactical nuance , but I bet he sure as hell would have know to stick someone on him and stop him playing  

We're Aston Villa , we  can poach the likes of Howe or Wanger once we are back in the Prem and move onto phase 2 ... where I don't think Bruce can take us with his limited football philosophy

I agree with a lot of this.  Bruce is a more streetwise manager, but do we have to do the caricature that a Wagner equals trying to play tippy tap Barcelona style football?  It has no substance whatsoever. He's from Dortmund for a start and everything I have read says he is about organization, hard work, pressing and pace - four things we lack. I am also sure he would also have done something about ginger lad - probably why his team are top of the league.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Just now, jon_c said:

If Tony does a press conference in China to reveal Steve Bruce as manager, in my head it would be like that scene from Elephant man at the freak show. 

Any publicity is good publicity !

What people need to remember about Bruce and his 4 promotions, is that 2 of them were with Birmingham, where he got promoted and then relegated again and then promoted, and it was the same with Hull, Promoted, relegated, promoted. It makes the 4 promotions look less good in my opinion. And it is not like these two teams were struggling or anything when in the championship, it's not like no one was expecting them to be promoted. I don't get the hype around him.

Edited by Chicken Field

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

It is a no brainer. I can almost hear the discussion:-

"So theres this Brucey geezer with 4 promotions to his name - who lives local - and is free agent"

"Yes Boss"

"But you're suggesting I pay £3m compensation for guy with no promotions and 44 games in this division"

"Yeah but he does a have  vision boss ?" 

Following this logic, we should never buy youth players anymore and only buy players that have won medals and even better if they are free. Bring back Kieran Richardson. F@@k potential, their records is everything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

What people need to remember about Bruce and his 4 promotions, is that 2 of them were with Birmingham, where he got promoted and the relegated again and then promoted, and it was the same with Hull, Promoted, relegated, promoted. It makes the 4 promotions look less good in my opinion. And it is not like these two teams were struggling or anything when in the championship, it's not like no one was expecting them to be promoted. I don't get the hype around him.

To get relegated from the prem, you need to be in the prem first.

As DDID said, lets look short-term. Let's worry about staying in the prem when we're there.

6 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Didn't he spend quite a bit in one summer at hull and then they went down that season? 

Spent a lot at Sunderland, to little effect. Left them with a lot of expensive dross to shift, if I recollect.

Just now, Godders said:

To get relegated from the prem, you need to be in the prem first.

As DDID said, lets look short-term. Let's worry about staying in the prem when we're there.

So we will let Bruce buy in his players and once we are finally promoted, then we have bought about 30 players in this league and looking for a new manager who will wan't to bring his own team in again? I'd rather look for something more stable (which imo is what we have lacked the most lately) every time we hire a new manager we end up with a bomb squad, limiting our funds and creating negative atmosphere in the team, I'd rather something stable who builds a proper squad for years to come. 4 past promotions is not a guarantee of any kind that we will get promoted under Bruce. And there have been PLENTY of younger managers or foreign managers that have been promoted these lasts seasons. Look at the top of the table, how many clubs there have experienced championship managers ? Leaving out Hughton of the top 6 in the league, the managers have a combined about 3 seasons championship experience with one promotion between them (Neil, who got promoted with Norwich with no prior experience) 

1 hour ago, West said:

The problem with Bruce is he is a bit of a meh choice so if he doesn't get results pretty sharpish, the fans will turn even quicker than they did with RDM.

I think this is correct. I think I and many supporters will expect him to achieve results pretty much immediately. Otherwise why bother with such a mediocre appointment.

7 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Following this logic, we should never buy youth players anymore and only buy players that have won medals and even better if they are free. Bring back Kieran Richardson. F@@k potential, their records is everything.

Straw man. There is only one manager, we should never buy ALL young potential. 

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Spent a lot at Sunderland, to little effect. Left them with a lot of expensive dross to shift, if I recollect.

Yep. After he was sacked following a terrible run with them sitting 16th - but it was in the prem ;)

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

This is one of the reasons I'd rather have Wagner over Bruce. Having worked with the footbonaut, his time spent working & learing from Klopp and vice versa. He would IMO bring a higher level of training  innovation, alongside hard graft & making us well drilled. Hallmarks of Dortmund, Liverpool and Huddersfield 

i just couldn't see Bruce pushing to get this installed at BMH. Hopefully Wagner would, it would help us develop better players and improve what we have. (Would love to see Jedinak & Hutton trying to use it) 

Maybe that's unfair, but Bruce doesn't strike more as an innovator at all. 

• Like 2

A lot of of people have suggested Bruce would be our best chance of a shot at promotion, albeit a short term arrangement if it actually came off.

Wonder if anyones mentioned that to him? Thanks for that and **** off.