Next Villa Manager

Richard

Just now, AvfcTheObsession said:

Don't think he quite said that, just said 'limited time and choices'. Moyes was interviewed, Pearson was clearly available too. However he did only seem to be going for out-of-work managers as you say, but it could be different this time around.

But surely its harder to get an an work manager when the season has started ?

1 hour ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Allardyce would be my top appointment.  If he’s thick skinned enough to come back into the limelight straight away, which I think he is (both physically and mentally :P) he would at the very least stop us conceding so many stupid goals!  Plus he’d be well up for sticking it to Newcastle!

Bruce worries me for two reasons – firstly he spunked a shed load of cash on his Hull squad the year they went down and it did nothing.  Secondly they went on a really bad run towards the end of last season just before scraping through via the playoffs.

Wagner – I admit I know nothing more than what he’s done this season, but on paper he looks like the ideal long term choice.  Plus you’d hope he’d get a few loanee’s from Klopp in January!

Spent a lot of money unwisely at Sunderland, too, with little result.

24 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I have a new tactic for being a villa fan, I've just stopped caring.

Don't care who the new manager is, don't care what our last result was, don't care who we're playing next and don't care where we are in the league.

I don't care.

Thank you Aston Villa for ruining my love of football.

SOTV

I feel like this but I've maintained my love of football by throwing everything into my player/coach role at my local team. 

We win a few, we lose a few but at least we work our bollocks off to get there.

Can't see anything other than Steve Bruce being appointed. He is the pragmatic and rationale choice. Just narrowly missed out on the England job and knows better than anyone how to get teams promoted from this league. If people aren't happy with his appointment then it can't be based on his record - of those managers who are 'realistically' available to us he has the best track record. 

Saying that .... there is a tiny bit of me that wants to throw all logic and rationale out the window and let Tim have another pop at it. Remember the buzz around the place for his first 10 games? Part of me thinks his gung-ho approach and general distaste/aversion to tactics in general might actually work in the end-to-end business of the Championship. I know I'm going to be savaged for this bizarre cult like belief, but its true, I bloody loved seeing his passion on the sidelines and it was the first and last time I've believed in a Villa sides passion since O'Neill. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

But surely its harder to get an an work manager when the season has started ?

True, but Xia has his full team of advisors in place now and settled in their roles (Wyness, Round, etc.), back then he probably wanted a manager in quickly in order to start our transfer business, Clarke could go as caretaker for a game or two now. Plus he may have seen that there is a reason the likes of RDM and Pearson were out of work, nothing worth having came easily.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

I agree on Lambert, he did do rather well when you consider what came after. The Dr has one hell of a job to do picking a new manager, its a worry especially if uses the same selection technique used for RDM, who on paper looked good.

Think he needs to really look at how anyone short listed has handled the squads on a day to day basis, how the team have played over a number of games, actually watch their teams past performances to make sure their balanced teams to start with and that tactical changes during the matches are successful. Also get some information on how he handles the players behind the scenes, if they respect him and if he can cope with losing a few games. Do they pick a team with players in their natural positions, not playing strikers in the midfield  , assemble a squad that is balanced in all areas and ones that minimizes injury risks all with their given budget. 

Anyone watching our set pieces, over the past few seasons, could have seen the real lack of proper preparation on the training ground, our throw ins have been next to hopeless giving possession away time after time, corners terrible, hardly any goal threat of even consistency in who takes them or the type of delivery.  This indicates a lack of leadership, we can all see it but the managers seem to have missed it or haven't prioritized it.

Dr do not panic, take a real good look at the managers we can get and check their teams performances out using logical and thorough methods. 

You would think our management team, especially Round, would have been planning for this. It is not exactly a surprise, and has been ongoing for a large number of games.

3 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

Can't see anything other than Steve Bruce being appointed. He is the pragmatic and rationale choice. Just narrowly missed out on the England job and knows better than anyone how to get teams promoted from this league. If people aren't happy with his appointment then it can't be based on his record - of those managers who are 'realistically' available to us he has the best track record. 

Saying that .... there is a tiny bit of me that wants to throw all logic and rationale out the window and let Tim have another pop at it. Remember the buzz around the place for his first 10 games? Part of me thinks his gung-ho approach and general distaste/aversion to tactics in general might actually work in the end-to-end business of the Championship. I know I'm going to be savaged for this bizarre cult like belief, but its true, I bloody loved seeing his passion on the sidelines and it was the first and last time I've believed in a Villa sides passion since O'Neill. 

This is a bizarre and cult like belief. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GodsBarkeep said:

Oh yeah? Youve failed to mention how well ROI did this summer - even with the handicap of ciaran clarke in the squad.

And we managed to offload him to newcastle, so just think what a force we'd be

Did you not see the Newcastle match? Clark was so much better than our defenders.

• Like 1

I can't help feeling that Garde happened at the wrong time, certain individuals in the dressing room and their insolence, Paddy Reilly and his influence on Lerner and how stitched Garde was in the transfer market.

I'd wouldn't be adverse to giving him another go * 

*subject to who else is available

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I get really annoyed reading people say they have given up on The Villa. 

Well **** off then.

SOTV? Shit on yourself. 

I know what you mean, although I see it as venting.  Just natural frustration coming out that people don't really mean deep down.  I do get what people mean also when they say they've stopped caring, because if you really really allowed yourself to get wound up by every game then you'd be a basket case fit for a mental home.  It's hard to actually enjoy what's on show, so I try to enjoy the sheer spectacle of it all.  I'm currently ... or I was until he was sacked ... fascinated with just how Di Matteo could **** up results with the players at his disposal.  Almost in an Anchorman "I'm not even mad" kind of way.  I suppose everyone has found their own way of getting through the last few years of Villa fandom and through the current season.  Take the vitriol with a pinch of salt, because ultimately whether it looks like it or not, we're all on the same side even when it doesn't always sound like it.

• Like 2