Football Manager 2017

V01

@Raver50032

if you are a big club, they get a favourable process with work permit considerations, might get it granted first time 

Sometimes though, you get a Conditional Permit ggranted if you're a Prem Supergiant whereas a Middlesbrough, they might allow transfer without the permit... and also if you have the work permit affiliate too. 

or you could buy them, without the permit, loan them out (if theyre good enough to be wanted) let someone else get them their games, reapply for permit,

almost like BUY TO LET let someone else pay your mortgage and you get the asset

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

do they have any "yellow"?

As in retrainable positions? Half the time, an ML or MR make a good AMR or AML. They might just be playing at 15/20 of their ability at best... but if they turn out good that's still considerable. 

Ah I meant that I only play with wingbacks so the only position I'd realistically be able to train them into is either a striker or AM but they don't have the passing/finishing attributes. May just keep loaning them out and sell them on and try and poach players in positions I now use. 

13 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Jeeeeeeeeeezus - that took some reading, and kudos to you for taking the time to share all that and type it all out! I'd buy you a beer or a J2O for that without flinching. My first game was Luton Town... got them promoted and won Checkertrade Trophy in first season (okay, my very first dib, I was sacked in October so started again). I had them on course for promotion from League 1 (which they did, but got relegated immediately back from Championship) in second season and in FA Cup 4th round when I got the Leeds job. Steered them to promotion through play offs. Joined Villa January 2019.

At the start of my Luton game, I got Villa as my affiliate - so I am still sending two players a season there, amongst others.

You put a lot of detail in the tweaks required in your system. My formation is largely this -

GK - doing his GK stuff. Never played a sweeper keeper.

DC - DC- DC (yep, three at the back)

DM (currently I have a player who is full green as Regista and support)

CM - box to box

CM - ball winning MF support

AMR (winger support)

AML (winger support, but rotate with Grealish as inside forward - 15m buy back from Burnley in July 2019)

AMC - support (I have two regens rotating in there with 4 stars... wonderkids)

Complete Forward - Attack... rotated with a Poacher (regen wonderkid) - Attack.

Depending on the strength of my oppo, I will leave the AMC out and put a third box to box CM in. And sometimes, if I expect a big win, I'll take out the DM and put the third CM in, along with my preferred front four.

I have started chasing the game with ATTACK if I go a goal behind or haven't scored when I really really need to win. I have my team playing possession football.

I have historically found Tottenham, Man Utd and Arsenal to be quite 'overpowered.' But I'm getting there.

no prob , someone mentioned about youth / tactics and i just thought id throw my tuppence in, well, tenner in

edit ah, it was you! that post was for you bud , you and @Villan_of_oz ... no thanks necessary, you just got 3 mins robbed from your life!

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, quazzie goat said:

Ah I meant that I only play with wingbacks so the only position I'd realistically be able to train them into is either a striker or AM but they don't have the passing/finishing attributes. May just keep loaning them out and sell them on and try and poach players in positions I now use. 

yes its annoying when that happens. for me i dont use MR and ML so its annoying if they have no ability to retrain to AMR AML... also in my formation i dont do AMCs so annoying when i get good AMC that cant retrain MC or AC. 

Yeah, loan is good, increase your asset value! plus i like to see them do elsewhere.... as you never know, you might play a different formation at international level..... when.......... youre managing them again! 

I apologise @Midfielder I'm away in the caravan with the family so dont have access to my PC. I can see  you have provided me much food for thought. I really appreciate all your effort and look forward to taking a closer look at your posts upon my return in a few days.

Actually having withdrawals being 600kms from PC :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I apologise @Midfielder I'm away in the caravan with the family so dont have access to my PC. I can see  you have provided me much food for thought. I really appreciate all your effort and look forward to taking a closer look at your posts upon my return in a few days.

Actually having withdrawals being 600kms from PC :(

no apology necessary bud. maybe theres a needle in that haystack that may help a little when youre back in FM mode

until then, have a good one mate and until then:

61100597.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, quazzie goat said:

You havetempted me to start a Torino save or perhaps one at a German club. Do you enjoy those saves more than the English ones?

@quazzie goatI usually do a Millwall one and a Villa one. But, have only stuck with Torino this time.

Yes i absolutely love Serie A on FM. Be prepared for the Brexit rule kicking in though, no more free EU/UK movement. Also you're only allowed 1 non EU youth and 1 non EU established player from outside of Italy per year, can buy from within Italy....

I find the fitness is higher. Also, Belotti might want to go in season 1. I assured him I would be in Champions League by the end of season 2 and he stayed. Apart from a few contract rises, he never once wanted to leave afterward. Must have loyalty stat at 20. It's worth the save just for Benassi and Baselli in MC and MC with Belotti up front... One of the most enjoyable saves I have ever done.

They increased the stadium size a couple of times then built a new one altogether, the Chairman was cool too. Takes a while to grow them, i think their expected position is about 12th-14th to start could be wrong. 

Cant comment on the German ones i haven done German one in many many years. Love Serie A though. So many rivalries with other teams and the game obv recognises that. 

Do i enjoy them more than English ? The same to be honest. All have merits.

Have developed a soft love of Torino after this save game as i do with any game that at this point I have 12 days invested in this. thats 288 game hours... Jesus. 

Edited by Midfielder

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

does anyone ever jump around? as in start a game with luton, do well get offered the villa job and go for it?

i cant remember the last time i did 

I jump around when that winner goes in in 92nd minute after coming back from 1-0 down.

Otherwise, no, i used to whore myself out in savegames but tend to do a club4life savegame. thats just me anyway

• Like 1

Dante- There's a lot of good staff available at the start in Italy

Mutual terminations arent as expensive at the start remember.............. so if the staff accept your offer... they can directly replace any ones you want rid. but you know this. just saying bud, staff up! italy is staff rich

edit also i have to admit it did take me ages to win the champions league probably ten years! but i like the journey

double edit - and bid for belotti too. 35+ goals per season. minimum

Edited by Midfielder

I like managing in Italy because you only get two none EU slots per season and most of the time they've already been allocated with means I can't rinse Argentina like I normally do.

Same goes for France. Only 4 registered none EU players allowed and it takes 5 years to get a work permit. Currently having a blast with Monaco which is fun. Small but stacked squad of youngsters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I've just started a Fiorentina save thanks to your Torino one. Never done one outside of England.

:o

i usually have an italy game, france game, german game, flirt with an ajax one as well as a brazilian, MLS if i can find a decent proper league edit and i tried a china edit this year

also had a good red star belgrade game last year

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

:o

i usually have an italy game, france game, german game, flirt with an ajax one as well as a brazilian, MLS if i can find a decent proper league edit and i tried a china edit this year

also had a good red star belgrade game last year

Villa4Europe loyalty stat: 4/20 :P

Although, adaptability 20/20

Can't wait to finish work and have a good read of this thread from @Midfielder "Oh boy" post on page 34.  Be interested to see everyone's insights.

I just started a game as unemployed and at the end of December was offered the jobs at Stoke and Valencia.  As my nipper goes to nursery near Stockport I took the role at Stoke for an easier commute.  And also as I want to see how many England internationals I can get into a squad, sprinkled with a few foreign stars.  I've already got Butland, Berahino and Shawcross, but I think Johnson is done at international level.  Have signed Jenkinson and Delph though.  Usually Jones and Smalling become available in the first summer, and maybe I can get Wilshere and Will Hughes too.

I had an Arsenal save where I built an awesome squad - Nainggolan in midfield, and Icardi up top.  Icardi was bloody awful for me though, even though he seems to score loads everywhere else.  Disappointing!

Just a quick one on starting a new one.

First thing, yes, the first thing i do is go straight to board requests and request a work permit affiliate. Sounds easier than it is, but most times theyll recognise the need, i think you can get it approved for villa too in season 1 even in championship. i mean afterwards, that dictates your transfer policy, as to be honest, in season 1, villa have a team nearly/definitely good enough to be managed back up, maybe with a Harold Preciado type 1.5m signing on top (AC- worth the cash. stats, prolific). Anyway so if they grant it, you know the world is your oyster now for foreign seniors and foreign non EU youth. And what does it cost? a request to board and a small annual figure per year. Like i said before, sign em cheap. Why should Man U, Barca be the only ones shopping at Brazilian Waitrose? Shop at the Brazilian Lidl instead, get a 50k gem from Paraguay or wherever,,, and like i said even if you cant play them, "buy to let", worst is you get them their permit and they play for you or, you have a very saleable asset. nice to know on day 1... if that suddenly is a transfer modus operandi no? preseason changing for transfer policy

When i start a new one, its a good couple of hours before I even press continue. I "pen n paper" the team, see who is definitely staying, who is on the maybe staying list, and who will be listed, who will be loaned out. 

I'll then see who's contract is running out in 12 months. I'll look to see what they want, to sign a new one (if they're worth keeping), if they want too much or they dont want to sign, they're going on the list. I understand, that you have your wage budget and you might not want to spend that 50 available grands per week offering new contracts, HOWEVER, you dont actually have to offer it to them, sometimes, i'll just test the water see.... and then offer it to them after the transfer window closes. So the lists there, they grow. I mean afterall, that season 1, is THE foundation, and of those who are there at the start... who want to be on this journey? 

The journey that, in a few years when you have outgrown yourself as you were, so many times over, that those original sh-t kickers are still there? My Torino save had an absolute die hard hardcore of my day 1 players. Youll know yourselves, sometimes you just know some of them you want staying for life. Same with staff:

I'll decide what staff are staying, i will check what staff I want. Again, you can go to aproach to sign, and not actually offer the contract. I mean there's plenty of good staff around on 800 per week at smaller clubs that are prem league quality. can post a list if anyones interested. anyway so yeah ill do staff. it costs a lot lot lot less to "mutual terminate" them in the first few weeks. NEVER sack staff straight off though, make sure you let that happen as they are replaced. Sure, Mr X might agree terms but then you sack your staff and Mr X agrees to go to Team B instead and you get stuck rushing to fins someone else. Had that happen to me before. 

Tactics, oh yeah day 1 your tactics! Because the sooner they start earning their green bar with the familiarity the better. Especially if you are the type to use a home and away tactic. as youve then got twice the time twice the familiarity too. time is of the essence , so day 1 your tactic. 

Transfers, no tips much there. But if you are not one of the top 6, the season 1 loan list is the best, better than it will be most years after. IOf you are a small team too, you would be surprised how many big teams wont ask for a wage contribution to be paid. its always worth a punt. Spend the transfer money wisely as i said previously, me, i like to rock on with some frees, some loans, some cheap under 1m signings and HAVE MONEY LEFT what for midfielder? For the most important dec 31st in your history, the first one. 
That is make or break! Try have some cash. 

Beauty is with Italy obv you can arrange the deal dec 31st, i hate that with the English one that you have to wait. anyway 99% of the above is not new news and obvious so I'll just shutup. But on day 1, of a new savegame, i wont be pressing continue until i am absolutely done with everything that needs doing. The rest, is maintenance.ie... selecting free kick takers on eve of first match... pen takers etc... corners... 

oh yeah and i offer the hell out of my unwanted players. For their value, or a little more if i know theyll be wanted. SOMETIMES i'll even get rid of them in exchange deals. But obv if your transfer budget is changing with every day, best to ship out that deadwood ASAP. anywy thats enough from me. 

Edited by Midfielder

Â