Football Manager 2017

V01

1 hour ago, Raver50032 said:

Thanks MF... appreciate all of the time (work or otherwise) that you have put into this thread over the last few days. I'm at work too, but it's a slow day here at the moment.

I already 'cheat' somewhat with the in game settings I choose - I opt to show all the stats of a player after the initial scout visit. I think default, it won't show you all the stats until the scout has seen the player a couple of times?

For staff, I interpret a decent stat to be 15 or above... Is that too low a benchmark?

No thanks necessary, afterall I chose to reply, and am technically getting paid to reply, and worst of all... technically your taxes are funding that reply. So i guess it works out even (ish :ph34r: )

My friend, that's not cheating. So what you're saying is, you by default, have attribute masking turned off? That's not in any way cheating. It's a viable in game setup option! I'd bet most players on here turn attribute masking off.

Absolutely, that is a good stat for staff. But dont let that be a definite, because there will be coaches on FM who have 12s and 13s who have "current abilities" of 150+ and then technically, the fact they're under 15 in areas won't be of detriment to what they bring to your club and their coaching / physio whatever output as they are delivering at 150 CA.

When i mentioned in one of my longer posts, about me recommending that list of staff and that i was saying they were "fifteen'd" i didnt actually mean that their stat was 15. What i meant was, you can have a ... oh wait here's an example. Right so Tony McAndrew at Villa right, when you startt new game he is a Scout, now he might be 15 as a scout like say if you have an AMR but he can also be MR but its diff colour? With me, so like that "winger" is a 20 in his natural position and a 15ish in his non natural position, ie, he is "competent" at that position hence "fifteen'd" and natural postion is "twentied". Sorry hope that makes sense

So transfer that to staff, as in Tony McAndrew might be a 15 as a Scout, but a 20 ("natural") as a coach. In my Torino savegame i actually took Tony to Torino to be coach and he was up for that. Anyway so there's another dimension to staff appointments. In that they quite often could simultanously be interested in a number of positions. One staff member could be fifteen'd or above in say coaching, HOYD, assman or even fitness coach or scout.

But in your reference to 15, the visible stat of competency based on their listed ability, yes, 15 good, excellent benchmark in fact but dont discriminate against lower ones. That aside that's why i recommend Phil Cannon and Dave Parnaby, why Midfielder : "because they are statted to f---". 

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Next 3 games 

West ham (A) 2 nil down at half time finished 2-2

Manu (H) 1-1 HT 2-2 FT. Dominated the team who are top. 

Bournemouth (A) 2 nil down at half time finished 2-2

This is very frustrating to say the least. I'm on 13 pts, 17th is on 16 pts

Only marginal improvement there, what formation, are you playing Micah Richards in defence? You realise "he plays for the opposition"?

on my plymouth save i found a 25 y/o Ukranian lb/dm who was out of contract and was able to persuade him to join. Only gave him about 3k p/w and he is already the best player on my team. His ability is "leading championship player". I highly recommend him. 

7 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Board Meeting - Networking - Affiliate I think.

During the meeting you can choose what kind, it should say along of the lines of 'to help us avoid work permits'

Thi sis usually the way but it's not always an option and depends on the size/stature of your club. For instance, my Argyle save I'm in the Premiership after three promotions in four seasons and the board trusts me enough to pick the team I want. However I still don't have the option to request a work permit affiliate and can only tour the UK or central Europe.

4 hours ago, Midfielder said:

30c616h.jpg

2qlcuf4.jpg

Hey MF are you really 37? I only ask because that's how old I am. Thought I might have been up there in the oldest people  still playing FM

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Only marginal improvement there, what formation, are you playing Micah Richards in defence? You realise "he plays for the opposition"?

I'm playing a 4-1-2-2-1. Lol Micah is on loan at rangers with me paying all his wages. Last 3 games night 

Lost 1-0 to Leeds who were bottom

Beat Chelsea 1-0 who were 4th

Lost to Leicester 3-0 who were 13th

Went to bed before I went insane. 

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Hey MF are you really 37? I only ask because that's how old I am. Thought I might have been up there in the oldest people  still playing FM

No mate it's worse. I'm 38 but the game has clocked me back slightly as my 38th birthday hasn't happened in that first Swedish season yet. 

Here's me:

8a9.jpg

I'm smiling as I'm literally just about to press continue for the first time after probably two hours play time but thinking... bugger.... I'm in work in a few hours. 

I'm playing a 4-1-2-2-1. Lol Micah is on loan at rangers with me paying all his wages. Last 3 games night 

Lost 1-0 to Leeds who were bottom

Beat Chelsea 1-0 who were 4th

Lost to Leicester 3-0 who were 13th

Went to bed before I went insane. 

Yeah you need an overhaul there, flawed tactic. Something's not right in your settings. Have you fiddled much from a default tactic? Because if you're feeling lazy and want an instant slight improvement it may be worth you selecting your 41221 tactic template again if it was one you've used from within the game, so that it shakes off any settings and reverts to default. Also that shouldn't present too much of a step back from what you're using and shouldn't detriment too much the familiarity bar... I think anyway. If you're gonna stick 41221 I'd just yeah go default. 

41221 though what as in narrow ? Dude there's screens you know that review where your goals are conceded. Find it have a look I'd prob hazard a guess you're leaving too much space out wide. Unless you mean you have AmR and AML as the 2 prior to the one. Even so, defensive mid and two MCs and you're still conceding lots? Sounds like your problem is your back 4 and the keeper settings otherwise. 

3 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Dear VT FM'ers. 

It has been brought to my attention that myself and Villan Of Oz, 38 and 37 respectively, are FM "grandads", hopefully someone else is even older. 

7c9b03d033a74176fd88bd99864ab7d728a3e350

I'm 38 in 4 weeks, you don't know how comforting is to know that I'm not the only one who is going to be still playing when they retire. In fact its one of the main reasons I look forward to retirement. 

3 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Yeah you need an overhaul there, flawed tactic. Something's not right in your settings. Have you fiddled much from a default tactic? Because if you're feeling lazy and want an instant slight improvement it may be worth you selecting your 41221 tactic template again if it was one you've used from within the game, so that it shakes off any settings and reverts to default. Also that shouldn't present too much of a step back from what you're using and shouldn't detriment too much the familiarity bar... I think anyway. If you're gonna stick 41221 I'd just yeah go default. 

41221 though what as in narrow ? Dude there's screens you know that review where your goals are conceded. Find it have a look I'd prob hazard a guess you're leaving too much space out wide. Unless you mean you have AmR and AML as the 2 prior to the one. Even so, defensive mid and two MCs and you're still conceding lots? Sounds like your problem is your back 4 and the keeper settings otherwise. 

I play more of a 4-1-2-3 DM wide. I have just got myself into 17th after a couple of wins in my last 3 games.

2 clean sheets in those wins but then just shipped 6 against arsenal. However it was 2-2 in the 65th and I was going for it. 

So I'm scoring goals and look decent in attack but yeah I have always been plagued with shipping goals for fun. Hence why I have decided to go attacking. 

if I'm going down in this save I'm going down swinging.   

So I've been playing all day and now have 10 games to go in the season. I have had some good results and have got myself to 17th. 2 points clear of 18th and in my last match I beat Tottenham 1-0, so starting to turn out some decent results against the top teams. 

The Mrs and kids were home this morning and have been bugging me for a kitten so I finally caved under the proviso that I play FM all day undisturbed. So a litter furry critter is about to enter my house, so I'll be taking a break to check it out. 

Hopefully get the go ahead to push on and finish the season. I'm quietly confident that I can stay up now and improve on this team. 

Just need the doc to open his wallet a bit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'm 38 in 4 weeks, you don't know how comforting is to know that I'm not the only one who is going to be still playing when they retire. In fact its one of the main reasons I look forward to retirement. 

27zoyb.jpg

• Like 1

So I've been playing all day and now have 10 games to go in the season. I have had some good results and have got myself to 17th. 2 points clear of 18th and in my last match I beat Tottenham 1-0, so starting to turn out some decent results against the top teams. 

The Mrs and kids were home this morning and have been bugging me for a kitten so I finally caved under the proviso that I play FM all day undisturbed. So a litter furry critter is about to enter my house, so I'll be taking a break to check it out. 

Hopefully get the go ahead to push on and finish the season. I'm quietly confident that I can stay up now and improve on this team. 

Just need the doc to open his wallet a bit. 

you need to slip in a second condition, that you get to name it. Get a male kitten, me, in that circumstance... I'd be thinking maybe a Deano or an Olof... Yeah, Olof, sell it to the kids on the "Frozen" angle... little do they know...

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 2

So 8 games to go and after another good result (3-0 against Newcastle) I have climbed to 16th. 

My next match could be very important. I play Crystal Palace and they are in 17th, 2 pts behind me, beating them would make staying up look more likely than hopeful. 

I have also signed for next season an African regen. I think his name is trablesi but I'll confirm next post. Anyways central defender with very good stats for a 20 y.o. Only had to pay 625k compensation for him but he has got a 15 million release clause in his contract so his agent thinks he is pretty good. 

He has already been capped for Tunisia so work permit was granted. 

@Midfielder some of your tips on the finer details of managing have been very helpful. Though hard to prove since I re did also my squads statuses they are not coming to me whinging so much. Well worth the effort. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

I will raise you a few years, I am 40 and still play FM, mainly on the phone during lunchtime at work, or on the loo :-D! I did have it on my work computer but I.T deleted it!

947a263d1144bff5d271ecf72880e86a.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, calcifer said:

I will raise you a few years, I am 40 and still play FM, mainly on the phone during lunchtime at work, or on the loo :-D! I did have it on my work computer but I.T deleted it!

947a263d1144bff5d271ecf72880e86a.jpg

1) on the one hand, good on you bud! 

2) you're in the FM Grandad club, here you go mate you can catch the title of oldest FM player! 

catch_fail-s530x331-34235.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I was 38 last month.  We're in it together.

2954wlu.jpg

• Like 2

Â