Dash Cams

Tayls

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/07/2016 at 18:48, Tayls said:

Dash Cams.... Who's got one? Looking at buying one but need some advice on brands and features and all that stuff. 

I have one in the work van and also in my own car. It is this one;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PRANCE-Novatek-Dashcamera-Recorder-G-sensor/dp/B00IPDDAME

Order the option with the 32gb card for £49.99 if you're going to get it.  It's a good dash cam, nice wide angle, over rights footage itself every 5 hours or so and starts as soon as you start the engine. Nice and simple. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think mine was MP4 format

it had options to record in bursts of 1 , 3, 5 minutes.

you can click on the device with a one touch press of an emergency button that saves the file instantly and won't be over written. Most have accompanying apps too so you can download to phone / tablet via in built device wifi. 

It knows when to turn on as its motion sensitive and thus knows when the car comes to life. Most also turn on if there's an impact on the car like a car door hitting yours or if some scumbag was to crash into your car. Also, you can hard wire it into the fuse box or,piggy back off something so it doesn't ever need to charge and the wires are hidden. 

Im talking in the past tense as someone broke in for mine at work, all wires were hidden as I tucked them all inside the trim and the device itself sat snug behind the rear view mirror. Still, a scag head still thought mine was worth the hassle. Stating the obvious here but not wise to leave on show all the time. In saying that I had no bother for 3 months and had parked in some dodgy places and never got any bother. So I fully recommend you get one. The day after I had mine go in, I was driving along, green light, and some stupid girl who was walking along with headphones on and two handed texting looking at her phone stepped right out in front of me notnrealisingnthe pavement ended and I stopped an inch in front of her... Six inches more and she would have been on the floor and I'd have had no defence. Never mind the countless driving near misses I encountered in my tank that weren't my fault. But yes don't be an idiot like me and assume (even if it's a cheap one) that it's safe to leave plugged in.... Be aware to a thief it makes them look twice at your vehicle. I know that's very very obvious but hey 

it was only when I got home that I realised how much damage they did in ripping out all the trim and messing up the wiring. All in, less than my excess so took it on the chin. They hurt my baby for my poxy dashcam :(

image.jpgpost a picture

image.jpgupload an image

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm in the market for one.

Anyone got any suggestions more recent than the last posts in this thread?

Don't want anything too amazing, just something that will record hd video and easily/automatically uploadable and doesn't require loads of cables round the car etc.

I don't really have much knowledge on any products that are out there.

I've got this one, fits discreetly behind the rear view mirror, dead easy to fit, I just tucked the wring behind the head lining and so far no issues to report, syncs well with the app etc..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stuart_75 said:

I wouldnt mind one too. But it has to be a stealth install, NO wires dragged over the dash or using up my 12v cig output.

Yep this is what I don't too, but it seems most are able to be hidden.

Thank for the suggestions above @dubbs and @jim

It really comes down to what your budget is and what features you want.

Mine is parked securely so I didn't see the need for a £100+ one that has parking mode and all of that stuff, so I'm pretty happy with this which is frequently discounted down to about £30, the image quality is good even at night time and you can get files off it using wifi if you don't want to pull out the SD card. 

You'll pay a lot more for parking mode and particularly subtle cameras, it does the job for me. The cabling etc, isn't to do with the cam itself, it's more down to your car when it comes to how easy it is to get wires behind the trim and into the fusebox.

• Like 1

I'm happy to pay £100+ to be honest. I know they can get expensive but if they save me an insurance claim then it's worth it

(touch wood nothing's happened yet but my friend got backed into the other day and they're now claiming she drove into them, even though she was stationary, so it's kicked me up the arse to get one sorted)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm happy to pay £100+ to be honest. I know they can get expensive but if they save me an insurance claim then it's worth it

(touch wood nothing's happened yet but my friend got backed into the other day and they're now claiming she drove into them, even though she was stationary, so it's kicked me up the arse to get one sorted)

It's one of those products that you hope you'll never need and can feel like a waste of money until the day comes when some twunt reverses into you and it pays for itself.

I baulked at spending £100 on one but after my motor has been scratched twice in my works car park, having the parking mode was a must for me.

• Like 1

Fair enough, if I was regularly parking anywhere other than garages covered in cameras I'd probably go for a top end one as well! Might even be worth thinking about a rear one as well? Something like this has been on my wishlist for a little while.

They definitely help out. My car got written off by someone a few weeks ago. I've got footage of them pausing at the line, slowly edging forwards, then accelerating in to my side. 

A year or so before that someone swerved in to my lane, then claimed I'd moved in to his. Outright refused to accept he could be mistaken. I didn't even bother telling him I had the footage and just let him contact his insurer with information I could prove was false.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2019 at 15:37, Davkaus said:

Fair enough, if I was regularly parking anywhere other than garages covered in cameras I'd probably go for a top end one as well! Might even be worth thinking about a rear one as well? Something like this has been on my wishlist for a little while.

They definitely help out. My car got written off by someone a few weeks ago. I've got footage of them pausing at the line, slowly edging forwards, then accelerating in to my side. 

A year or so before that someone swerved in to my lane, then claimed I'd moved in to his. Outright refused to accept he could be mistaken. I didn't even bother telling him I had the footage and just let him contact his insurer with information I could prove was false.

That looks pretty decent actually. Thanks!

It depends on your car really. With my old car I could literally just push the wire in to the gap between the a pillar and the windscreen, then drop it in to the fuse box. 

In my current one, to get the wires properly out of sight I had to unscrew a couple of panels and feed the cable behind them. Not a big job at all, really, but a little more involved, took about 20 minutes. I wouldn't have had a clue which order to take some of it apart though. 

If you Google dashcam install + your car model, there will almost certainly be someone who's recorded a step by step video guide. 

• Like 1

Â