80s Party!

dAVe80

I was going to The Silver Blades with my Topskate Ice Hockey boots every week when this came out.  When it came over the speakers there would be a notable pick up in the general skating speed. 

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

There are quite a few bands from that era who I really liked ..but the music doesn't seem to have aged well ..Thompson twins being one of them   .. Just had a play of "you take me up"  though for nostalgia  , but I'm not scrambling to download their greatest hits album , which kinda says it all

That was the shite three piece

The better version was the earlier larger band but even then their recorded output never really lived up to the live experience

• Like 1

Love this thread..... 

Lyrics could offend;

Down The Barrel Organ at the end of the night - 

Completely out there that amongst so many tunes sort of sums up the 80's for me -

I'm so tempted to set up a playlist from this thread

My American cousin from California who is the same age as me came over to the UK when Ghostbusters had been released in the USA but not the UK.  He was raving about Ghostbusters THE SONG saying it was the best song ever.  I'd never heard it but thought it a bit childish when he played it. 

That and a few other things led me to the conclusion that we were more mature in outlook than American kids.  This was reinforced the next time we came over and were practiced pub drinker

Anyway whilst he was raving about Ghostbusters we were raving about this which he equally had never heard of. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

I was going to The Silver Blades with my Topskate Ice Hockey boots every week when this came out.  When it came over the speakers there would be a notable pick up in the general skating speed. 

Haha, this has just reminde me of "an incident."  One of my mates was in the same year in school as Paul King in Coventry but they were in rival friend groups who didn't get on.

We were both working a King gig at the Royal Court in Liverpool some time after the second release of Love and Pride. My mate had been muttering under his breath all day about Paul King being a rocket polisher and that he hated working the gig but needed the money

And then the inevitable happened the two of them came face to face in the middle of the venue, Mr Painted Docs was swaggering about and my mate was doing his best to ignore him as we were pushing flightcases around but Paul King stopped dead in his tracks and just stared at my mate, who then had no option but to stare back very hard, it was probably only 20 seconds but seemed a LOT longer, you could see Paul King's face turn from is it? to pure rage, then he just turned around and flounced off and wasn't seen again until stage time

He flounced off to the sound of a room laughing very loudly which must have made it worse for the poor darling

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Actually bought a new rereleased copy of this 12" only last year, my other NO 12" singles are still in decent condition but I only had the 7" of temptation and the 12" version was always much better

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My American cousin from California who is the same age as me came over to the UK when Ghostbusters had been released in the USA but not the UK.  He was raving about Ghostbusters THE SONG saying it was the best song ever.  I'd never heard it but thought it a bit childish when he played it. 

That and a few other things led me to the conclusion that we were more mature in outlook than American kids.  This was reinforced the next time we came over and were practiced pub drinker

Anyway whilst he was raving about Ghostbusters we were raving about this which he equally had never heard of. 

Fairly sure my memory is correct in saying they released  a different version every couple of weeks ... as we had a stack system at home , my job was to get the newest  version from whoever had it at school and make loads of tapes for school mates

p.s home taping is killing music 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Fairly sure my memory is correct in saying They used to release a different version on 12 inch every couple of weeks

I think it was more like every week in the end, I just counted 6 different mixes on Discogs and given that it went straight to number 1 and stayed there for 9 weeks. The first mix lasted at least two weeks, the second the same then it was one a week I reckon

That was just another of those chart maipulation tools the record companies used to keep records in the charts. I am glad that practice seems to be dead now though Bill Drummond re-inventing What Time is Love a million times was amusing

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Let me tell you about the time I had breakfast with Tim Booth in the Columbia Hotel... actually that's all there is to the story because he's sooooo boring

I'm tired now. Tell me tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Much as I love a bit of James , easily Manchester’s best band , I’m gonna have to disqualify this as you’ve linked the flood version which was 1990 .. the original was 89 but starts differently 

Edited by tonyh29

Well that was a trip. A memory vortex of nonsense from my youth.  Having said that (😀) it was a most pleasant trip down the lane. Alas too many broken links and not in your regions though. A whack of them that I previously “liked” are now but a ticking of a mystery as to what they where.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Much as I love a bit of James , easily Manchester’s best band , I’m gonna have to disqualify this as you’ve linked the flood version which was 1990 .. the original was 89 but starts differently 

It was a bit of a cheat but the original version on YouTube had no proper video 📹😋

Â