Copa America 2016

Zatman

13 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

The overall standard is way off European football. It's not even close.

I've really enjoyed a lot of the Copa games this year. Perhaps there's not as much pressing and athleticism as in Europe but technically the players are better with the ball at their feet and they take each other on a lot more making the games more exciting. Plus there seems to be a real genuine passion to play for shirt. (But perhaps I've just been watching Villa too much.)

Couldn't have placed it any better. I'm not an International goalkeeper, but why are so many keepers taking a step the wrong way and getting beaten near side? I don't think you can totally blame Guzan for it - but the first goal, his classic hesitant self.

A friend of mine "Michael Bradley still couldn't get in to your (Villa) team, he's a turnover machine".

Edited by kurtsimonw

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 21:42, kurtsimonw said:

The overall standard is way off European football. It's not even close.

Argentina would dominate any European side apart from Germany/France/Spain

Get the right coach in for Brazil and Brazil would as well with the players they have.

Hell even the US would beat England :rolleyes:

On June 20, 2016 at 12:42, TheAuthority said:

I've really enjoyed a lot of the Copa games this year. Perhaps there's not as much pressing and athleticism as in Europe but technically the players are better with the ball at their feet and they take each other on a lot more making the games more exciting. Plus there seems to be a real genuine passion to play for shirt. (But perhaps I've just been watching Villa too much.)

Those South American teams know each other very well, and a common language (besides Portuguese and English) binds the fans together, so the rivalries get hot, but they treat the Copa as a celebration and leave the violence at club level, particularly in Brazil and Argentina.

• Like 1

Heading to extra time...it's been a very scrappy game, some awful refereeing, Messi getting kicked to death, Alexis is a joy to watch, Funes Mori is impressive, great atmosphere in New Jersey, a full stadium. Love it. I hope the US is invited to this every time.

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

And Messi gets pulled back down to Earth. Chile will be a Dark Horse for the World Cup.

You do realise if Chile qualify for next world cup, Brazil are very likely to miss out. That's the one thing I'm amazed about, the U.K not making more of Brazil's likely absence. In two years time they'll be massive paper pull outs asking what happened when I've been forecasting it for last 10 years.

Messi thinks he's cursed with Argentina, they only called him up rather than give him the summer off so he could actually win something for them finally. Mascherano (who's their proper leader on the pitch) also announced his retirement so Argies could be in a bit of trouble in the Commebol qualifiers themselves after recovering from a poor start.

Edit: Reckon this is heat of the moment from Messi. He'll miss the qualifiers as he wants next summer off and then be back for the world cup. The sponsors wouldn't allow it for a start.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't see the game but am reading Higuain missed yet more sitters in the final.....:crylaugh:

Lot of Argie fans saying this is just a Messi ploy to kick Higuain out of national team!

Aguero was arguably worse!

His reaction is pathetic, to be honest. He spent the shootout pacing around, then on the floor in the fetal position and holding his head in his hands...while the shootout was still in progress. That's not what you need from your captain.

• Like 2

Â