Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wonder what we'll get here now?

I think that open paved area was part the planning for the North Stand and while the planning permission has been granted, to get it we'd need to flatten out the slope there which will be difficult given we're not now doing it across the rest of that space.

It'd be good to see some updated renders of this project.

Looking at Google maps the entrance area is flat - no? …. Must confess in the 33 years of going to Villa park I’ve never actually been in the stumps academy building. 

IMG_0001.png

Edited by thabucks

34 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Looking at Google maps the entrance area is flat - no? …. Must confess in the 33 years of going to Villa park I’ve never actually been in the stumps academy building. 

IMG_0001.png

It is, I had a check and the slope is at the other side of the building and I think we can get away with not doing anything with it.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't agree that the warehouse looks better than villa Iive narrative. We have replaced a new purpose-built multi-use venue to freshening up a 100-year-old building with little architectural merit stuck at the back of the Villa Park complex behind a large car park. Each to their own.

Cheap though.

In terms of planning consents, it is still possible for Villa to do the Warehouse and Villa Live, as well as the North Stand.  Part of the rationale of the 2023 revisions was to separate the different elements.

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’d assume the murals are just part of the badge/brand launch. I doubt they’re anything but temporary

Yep, looking at them now they're a bit more complete I think it's pretty clear they're temporary.

My bad!

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yep, looking at them now they're a bit more complete I think it's pretty clear they're temporary.

My bad!

I'm pretty sure part of the Warehouse planning application was for temporary displays like this.  

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

My bad!

Hopefully the refurbished shop will also be temporary ultimately!  Complete eyesore of a building.

The funny thing about the North Stand and its bad press aesthetically is at least it is a clear (albeit dated) architectural style.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, andycv said:

I'm pretty sure part of the Warehouse planning application was for temporary displays like this.  

Really? I didn't see that, there were a couple of lions on the renders, but on this side of the building they're going to put the windows back into the spaces where the photographs on the wall are now - hopefully they'll reopen that big entranceway too.

17 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Hopefully the refurbished shop will also be temporary ultimately!  Complete eyesore of a building.

The funny thing about the North Stand and its bad press aesthetically is at least it is a clear (albeit dated) architectural style.

Wasn't the new stand meant to house a new shop or am I wrong? New shop outside the stand further suggests we are a long time away from any big development. 

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Really? I didn't see that, there were a couple of lions on the renders, but on this side of the building they're going to put the windows back into the spaces where the photographs on the wall are now - hopefully they'll reopen that big entranceway too.

Yes - it was mentioned in the Design & Access Statement: http://eplanning.idox.birmingham.gov.uk/publisher/docs/B8C53785D6858703BBCF1500E314F6CF/Document-B8C53785D6858703BBCF1500E314F6CF.pdf

Page 17!

4 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Wasn't the new stand meant to house a new shop or am I wrong? New shop outside the stand further suggests we are a long time away from any big development. 

New shop originally in Villa Live, then when that got canned it was going to be in the stand. Then they said, well revamp existing shop and make it bigger by removing the ticket office we have in the same building. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It's a dated concrete carbuncle surrounded by an uneven car park  and offers nowhere near enough capacity or other facilities to justify it's continued existence.

But I am not a member of the 20th Century Society so other opinions are available.

This is all so underwhelming, I can't get excited about refurbishing our current shop and stumps when the original plan about 4 years ago was to flatten the whole thing. We aren't even doing that now. If this was under Dough we would all be screaming about being penny pinching.

100% agree.

11 minutes ago, andycv said:

Link doesn't work for me :(

I have a feeling you have to link to the list of documents and that you can't loink to an individual document itself.

52 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It's a dated concrete carbuncle surrounded by an uneven car park  and offers nowhere near enough capacity or other facilities to justify it's continued existence.

But I am not a member of the 20th Century Society so other opinions are available.

This is all so underwhelming, I can't get excited about refurbishing our current shop and stumps when the original plan about 4 years ago was to flatten the whole thing. We aren't even doing that now. If this was under Doug we would all be screaming about being penny pinching.

To be clear, I will be very happy to see the demise of the North Stand! 😊

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Link doesn't work for me :(

I have a feeling you have to link to the list of documents and that you can't loink to an individual document itself.

Ok - sorry - it is in the Design and Access Statement part 2 in the planning application for the Warehouse (pg 17).  Sorry for the epic fail on linking....

Â