Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

When I fly to Birmingham to Villa games I stay a night or two and have remarkably few opportunities to spend money on the actual club.

I thought Villa Live made sense. I would have made the effort to go there, get some grub, amble around, before going to the game etc.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

20 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

When I fly to Birmingham to Villa games I stay a night or two and have remarkably few opportunities to spend money on the actual club.

I thought Villa Live made sense. I would have made the effort to go there, get some grub, amble around, before going to the game etc.

The villa live warehouse thing is sure fire way to make dough, especially with lack of pubs. 

Play any games before or after. £5 entry. People be all over it. 

1 hour ago, spiezels said:

The villa live warehouse thing is sure fire way to make dough, especially with lack of pubs. 
Play any games before or after. £5 entry. People be all over it. 

The massive massive trick missed by all PL clubs for me - play away games, all of them, regardless of whether or not it's on sky, lobby the PL for VP to be able to show away games in their bars 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interested to see what Heck has planned for the new club store as the current one is not fit for purpose and actually just plain embarrassing and should’ve been replaced years ago. 

18 hours ago, thabucks said:

Interested to see what Heck has planned for the new club store as the current one is not fit for purpose and actually just plain embarrassing and should’ve been replaced years ago. 

The current one isn't ours - as well as the doubling in size of the store, the bigger change for me is that it seems we're taking it back from Fanatics and running it ourselves.

That could be brilliant for loyalty schemes and so on as it gives us the ability to reinstate things like season ticket holder discounts and to finally have a use for Pride Reward points.

In terms of the building and the space, I'm guessing the store will take over the existing ticket office (and the back offices behind the counters in that ticket office) which will give it a much bigger frontage and a lot more space for matchdays.

It is still in that awful 70's office block though, which despite the wrap is still a bit of an eyesore - I guess we're stuck with that one sadly.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The massive massive trick missed by all PL clubs for me - play away games, all of them, regardless of whether or not it's on sky, lobby the PL for VP to be able to show away games in their bars 

They don't own the rights.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

They don't own the rights.

I know yeah

But the pictures obviously exist and are shown outside of the UK 

What I'm saying is that PL clubs should request the rights to show them on their own premises, doubt it would ever be on the big screens inside VP but in the various lounges and bars dotted around the ground, would be very popular 

Not sure the club even open up parts of the ground when we have away games that are on sky do they? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The current one isn't ours - as well as the doubling in size of the store, the bigger change for me is that it seems we're taking it back from Fanatics and running it ourselves.

That could be brilliant for loyalty schemes and so on as it gives us the ability to reinstate things like season ticket holder discounts and to finally have a use for Pride Reward points.

In terms of the building and the space, I'm guessing the store will take over the existing ticket office (and the back offices behind the counters in that ticket office) which will give it a much bigger frontage and a lot more space for matchdays.

It is still in that awful 70's office block though, which despite the wrap is still a bit of an eyesore - I guess we're stuck with that one sadly.

Truly is atrocious and fully expect Heck to splash the cash on a fit for purpose space rather than a value engineering solution seeing that the New North Stand isn’t going ahead for the time being. It could assist with crowd dispersal after matches with people actually being able to mooch around and browse rather than being a horrible crowded experience it can be currently you’d expect the average transaction spend to increase drastically. 

IMG_9440.jpeg

Edited by thabucks

I was in the academy yesterday for a football event, several teams, one of which my son plays for and teams from Villa, Solihull and Alvechurch. Absolutely massive area which could do with some work doing. I think it's used as the family fun zone on matchdays.

There are a few heaters hanging from the roof and a decent sized bar area. The bar area smelled damp with stains everywhere and in general looks worn and smelly.. 

Unless you were stood under a heater it was bloody freezing. I have no idea how busy it gets on match days but I don't think I'll be trying it

2 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I was in the academy yesterday for a football event, several teams, one of which my son plays for and teams from Villa, Solihull and Alvechurch. Absolutely massive area which could do with some work doing. I think it's used as the family fun zone on matchdays.

There are a few heaters hanging from the roof and a decent sized bar area. The bar area smelled damp with stains everywhere and in general looks worn and smelly.. 

Unless you were stood under a heater it was bloody freezing. I have no idea how busy it gets on match days but I don't think I'll be trying it

That’s literally going to happen instead of Villa Live and be called The Warehouse, which for me is a hell of lot better than what was initially proposed. https://www.avfc.co.uk/villa-park/future/

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

Just now, thabucks said:

That’s literally going to happen instead of Villa Live and be called The Warehouse, which for me is a hell of lot better than what was initially proposed. 

Good idea for matchdays I guess, not sure what it's currently used for during the week but it is huge inside. We had 3 decent sized pitches in there yesterday and still plenty of room. Do they still use the ticket office as everything is online or by phone these days 

34 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Truly is atrocious and fully expect Heck to splash the cash on a fit for purpose space rather than a value engineering solution seeing that the New North Stand isn’t going ahead for the time being. It could assist with crowd dispersal after matches with people actually being able to mooch around and browse rather than being a horrible crowded experience it can be currently you’d expect the average transaction spend to increase drastically. 

And not just the average transaction spend, but the number of transactions can significantly increase - it's a very slow process on a matchday finding what you want and queuing to get it. It'll be interesting to see how much space they can get out of the lower floor of that building and how they use it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Good idea for matchdays I guess, not sure what it's currently used for during the week but it is huge inside. We had 3 decent sized pitches in there yesterday and still plenty of room. Do they still use the ticket office as everything is online or by phone these days 

The day to day activities (local school leagues etc) will move to the Academy building on the other side of the railway - it's why that punch through at the bottom of Station Road is such a potential game changer - it'd bring that whole massive facility into play on matchdays.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

The day to day activities (local school leagues etc) will move to the Academy building on the other side of the railway - it's why that punch through at the bottom of Station Road is such a potential game changer - it'd bring that whole massive facility into play on matchdays.

Aahhh I wasn't familiar with the other academy building by the railway 

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

And not just the average transaction spend, but the number of transactions can significantly increase - it's a very slow process on a matchday finding what you want and queuing to get it. It'll be interesting to see how much space they can get out of the lower floor of that building and how they use it.

Can see them adding an additional floor to the current structure to maximise its size. I know the spurs shop cannot be used as a comparison as was purpose built no expense spared just like their stadium but just look at the sheer size of it. Again makes our set up look pitiful and again is one of the many reasons they are so far ahead commercially taking out corporate seating etc. 

Maybe also the ticket office block will be turned into some type of experience space as proposed within Villa Live to create one big destination rather than just retail outlet. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

It's being completely gutted and renovated so I wouldn't worry about the appearance or smell currently. The size is the key factor, and appearance of the red brick exterior when it's cleaned up looking like it belongs, rather than the community sports centre vibe of Live that doesn’t really. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

When it gets converted into The Warehouse it will hopefully be a really good facility, but... As you say it is currently the Family Fun Zone and losing this will be a real shame, it's a great place to take little ones before a game. Will probably a much-missed facility actually.

19 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

When it gets converted into The Warehouse it will hopefully be a really good facility, but... As you say it is currently the Family Fun Zone and losing this will be a real shame, it's a great place to take little ones before a game. Will probably a much-missed facility actually.

Hopefully that can just be moved into the new academy building - that's a bigger and better space for it - the problem being the need for the cut through under the railway.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Can see them adding an additional floor to the current structure to maximise its size. I know the spurs shop cannot be used as a comparison as was purpose built no expense spared just like their stadium but just look at the sheer size of it. Again makes our set up look pitiful and again is one of the many reasons they are so far ahead commercially taking out corporate seating etc. 

The upstairs will be interesting - it's currently empty but used for storage and might be something they could consider using. Access would have to be on the side of the building facing The Warehouse I think, but that might suit. The upstairs is pretty much derelict - hasn't been in use for anything for a decade or so in so far as I'm aware.

The question (I guess like the North Stand itself) is how much money do they want to plough into a building that isn't fit for purpose. 

28 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Maybe also the ticket office block will be turned into some type of experience space as proposed within Villa Live to create one big destination rather than just retail outlet. 

I think the ticket office part of the building will get taken over by the shop - that for me is the most likely area they'll grow into.

Â