Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I was already a bit depressed that I'd be over 40 when the North Stand was finished, now I suspect I'll be 50 and the ground will look much the same.  This looks so good and such a shame if it doesn't go ahead.

Uploaded December 2022, scrapped December 2023. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The atmosphere was cracking against Inter in 1994 with thr Holte end as a building site.

Exactly. What does the North Stand hold, 6,000?  That still leaves 36,000 in the ground, and the North Stand is hardly renowned as a hot bed of fervent support. You could reduce the away allocation and just give them the bottom half of the corner they have. Maybe temporarily fill in the corners either side of the Holte, it really isn't going to make that much difference to the atmosphere.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Risso said:

Exactly. What does the North Stand hold, 6,000?  That still leaves 36,000 in the ground, and the North Stand is hardly renowned as a hot bed of fervent support. You could reduce the away allocation and just give them the bottom half of the corner they have. Maybe temporarily fill in the corners either side of the Holte, it really isn't going to make that much difference to the atmosphere.

Someone needs to be quizzing Heck in a much more forensic manner. Was surprised to see the Villa reporter just parrot what Heck said. That was a massive announcement yesterday with long term repercussions and  by means of explanation he got to spout a lot of, er, unchallenged garbage as far as I am concerned. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, El Segundo said:

Fair enough it's quite a big increase.  But, even then,  what other possible locations within the Birmingham area would be immune to such challenges, and why hasn't it stopped Liverpool going to >60k?  If there have been major transport and access upgrades around Anfield fair enough but I'm not aware of any.

Yep. Anfield has no railway stations in anything like a reasonable vicinity.  You've a 40 odd minute walk to a station and then the service won't be near as good as The Cross City line. 

There are no trams.

So you're basically relying on buses and driving. Good for 62,000 no problem. 

We've actually ALREADY got far better transport links than probably any stadium outside of London. 

The whole argument is nonsense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I see enough evidence of commercial, industrial and religious buildings, going up to suggest that may not be accurate...

I also see demolition companies, making a decent living too....there are brown field sites being made, regularly....but I suspect inner Birmingham would still be counter productive, due to the road network, being congested.

However, the road and rail networks are the biggest consideration to tap in to, so I would guess, around by the NEC in Solihull, would be Prime land, for such a prospect/project.

It is also close to Birmingham Airport, another consideration on our Global agenda.....and BMH

I don't think you appreciate a) just how big a plot of land is needed and b) how expensive it would be to buy and flatten such a huge chunk of real estate. 

Doing anything in the city centre proper is going to cost way way more than just doing our own stand. 

• Like 1

The only thing that makes sense to me is the money is needed elsewhere where the project will have a better rate of return. I might not want to advertise this as a reason not to invest in Villa Park at the moment.

Transport? In 1946 ... record attendance 76 588.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just a reminder that the club have said regularly on a number of occasions and have reiterated at tonight's supporters group meeting, we're not going to be moving to a new stadium - it's not happening, we're not moving, they aren't planning it, thinking about it or considering it - not Heck, not the owners, not anyone.

I hope that helps.

I hear you but with all due respect you were coming back from those fan meetings only a couple of months before the stand was announced adamant that there were no plans in the foreseeable future to develop Villa Park. 

But thanks for the feedback, I await their new announcement. 

• Like 1

Â