Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Found this earlier, it’s all gonna look amazing when complete. 

Got all excited but same video from a few pages back on this thread…still very impressive 

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm excited about NSWE plans, but can anyone tell me the approximate date that the redevelopment actual breaks ground? Is it this summer?

I previously mentioned that I thought someone (Purslow?) said October 23 was a possible start date, but nobody else seems to recall that date being mentioned.

I've also heard that the stand completion, and therefore commencement date, will need to be synchronised with the opening of a refurbished Witton Station with increased access; the financing of which is still to be formalised.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2023 at 15:58, villabromsgrove said:

I'm excited about NSWE plans, but can anyone tell me the approximate date that the redevelopment actual breaks ground? Is it this summer?

I don't think there's any chance of it starting this summer - if there were, I think they'd have started preparing season ticket holders by now.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see some progress on the works around the new stand, with the office/shop getting knocked down and the academy building on Witton Lane being demolished - that'll give them the space to start storing things in those areas and so on. With the new academy building opening on the other side of the railway, the club can replace that space.

There's certainly nothing happening before the concerts in June.

• Like 1

My mate who is a Wolves fan always says Villa Park is his favourite away ground. 

A review from a couple of Bournemouth fans was recommend to me on YouTube the other day and they both said Villa Park was their favourite away ground. 

On the train yesterday by chance another Bournemouth fan got chatting and said he'd been to the Villa Park game and Villa Park was his favourite away ground. 

I've heard it elsewhere too. 

I think we take it a little for granted as it's where we go every other week but we've got something really really special in Villa Park. 

I'm wondering if the development will enhance this view or detract from it. 

You can't imagine the current North Stand would particularly inspire visitors.  Hopefully the reputation only increases when we develop. 

The one thing that made me really jealous yesterday though was the sheer number of pubs around London football grounds.  It's such a shame that there are so many closed pubs around Villa Park that obviously can't survive on match day revenue alone. 

• Like 3

On 31/03/2023 at 18:46, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think there's any chance of it starting this summer - if there were, I think they'd have started preparing season ticket holders by now.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see some progress on the works around the new stand, with the office/shop getting knocked down and the academy building on Witton Lane being demolished - that'll give them the space to start storing things in those areas and so on. With the new academy building opening on the other side of the railway, the club can replace that space.

There's certainly nothing happening before the concerts in June.

I agree on all that. Even if the Witton station/underpass work gets final approval/funding soon and work starts at Villa Park late this year, it won't be anything major like commencing the demolition of the existing North Stand, but the peripheral and enabling work you referenced.

• Like 1

Well, they have to firm up the plans soon as season ticket renewals will surely be going out soon. If the North Stand is due to close sometime next season then existing ticket holders will have to be notified when they renew. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets pushed back to summer 2024 given the talk on Witton Station.

On 04/04/2023 at 12:07, The Fun Factory said:

Well, they have to firm up the plans soon as season ticket renewals will surely be going out soon. If the North Stand is due to close sometime next season then existing ticket holders will have to be notified when they renew. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets pushed back to summer 2024 given the talk on Witton Station.

Not sure that's pushing it back. I think that was always the plan?? 

I guess that the design of the new north stand is maximised to its full potential  capacity - But I do wonder if the design could be tweaked to add a few thousand more seats … 

1 minute ago, VillaJ100 said:

Me and the old man used to park there at games when I was a kid!

I always find it amazing when a big building is knocked down just how much land is left behind. LDV on Drews lane is absolutely massive. But when it was there I didn’t know it was that big. 

The academy building has so much land around it too. 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Not sure that's pushing it back. I think that was always the plan?? 

Quite likely.

Talk of starting the project next season does conjure images of an empty North Stand as it's being demolished, and therefore no season ticket sales this summer.

The reality could be that there is so much preparation work to be done, for example demolition and removal of the North Stand car park buildings, that work could start late this year or early next year, whilst still being able to offer North Stand tickets for the entire 23/24 season.

Ideally and if feasible, demolition of the current North Stand could then commence the day after the last home game of the season in May 2024 and the new stand be ready, some 15 months later, for the start of the 25/26 season in August 2025. 

It wouldn't surprise me if, mainly due to the Witton Station work delays, a whole year was added to each of the above dates. An August 2026 completion would still meet the objective of a 50k Villa Park before the 2028 Euros.

Just had a thought - surely Villa aren't waiting until September when UEFA announce who will host the 2028 Euros (looks like it's between the UK and Turkey), before fully agreeing to renew the North Stand??!!!

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Rumours are Old Trafford has been dropped from the stadium list for Euro 2028.   Assume it's due to be redeveloped around then. 

So just 3 more to be dropped. 

I think they'll drop at least 1 from London and one from Dublin.  Maybe they'll drop 2 from London and just have Wembley. 

Shame it's been shared around so many home nations. 

I just can't see Birmingham not having representation though. 

Shame there probably just isn't enough time to get The Metro down there. 

The Martyn Ziegler article a few days ago (highly reliable) said that Villa Park are expected to make the cut, with the following stadiums expected to make up the 10:

• Villa Park
  • Wembley (for the final)
  • Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (although UEFA don't want to use stadiums with naming rights: London Stadium would replace them if this conflict went sour)
  • Everton's new stadium
  • St James Park
  • Casement Park (Belfast)
  • Principality Stadium (Cardiff)
  • Hampden Park (Glasglow)
  • Aviva Stadium (Dublin)
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

No I thought the plan was demolition starting late this year?

Well it would always have to be after the summer at the very earliest because of the summer concerts they have booked in. 

40 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

No I thought the plan was demolition starting late this year?

The new North Stand project requires more than demolition of the old stand and building of the new.

The plan could still be to start demolition work late this year. Not on the North Stand itself  but the North Stand car park infrastructure (club offices & old academy buildings), which will then provide the space for the materials and equipment needed to build the new stand and Villa Live buildings.

Â